Centerville vs St. Ignatius - D1 Semifinal

Who wins?

• Total voters

ELKSONE

#EPND
When teams reach the Final Four, they are well coached and polished.

Centerville is the defending State Champions, undefeated regular season and riding a 44 game winning streak since 2021 against a solid schedule.

Someone from St. Ignatius will have to fill everyone on what they bring to the game.

Thoughts on the game to be played next Saturday at the University of Dayton Arena?

Centerville is the defending State Champions, undefeated regular season and riding a 44 game winning streak since 2021 against a solid schedule.

Someone from St. Ignatius will have to fill everyone on what they bring to the game.

Thoughts on the game to be played next Saturday at the University of Dayton Arena?
Iggy is good but not at the level they have been in many of their past State appearances. Few expected them to be here this year. The Elks have looked vulnerable in their recent outings which could mean a pretty competitive semifinal. I'm looking forward to a good one.

Iggy is good but not at the level they have been in many of their past State appearances. Few expected them to be here this year. The Elks have looked vulnerable in their recent outings which could mean a pretty competitive semifinal. I'm looking forward to a good one.
Ok but take another look at what changed from regular season u til now…

Agree, the record for Ignatius is deceptive and looks like they've caught fire recently. Centerville played a tough Kettering Fairmont team for the third time this season and looked more like themselves tonight.

I look for a lower scoring game as defense will play a key.

Last edited:
The game is in DAYTON? I mean, how far does each team have to travel? How is that fair? Why isn't the game in Columbus? Ohio State doesn't want it? Can't old Crew Stadium be domed? It must be favoritism on the part of the OHSAA committee. That's it, SW Ohio bias.:) Truth is, Ignatius is just happy to be the game when no one expected they would be. Best of luck to both teams for a clean, injury-free game.

Yes. But don’t have the current years. Linden McKinley comes to mind in the mid 70’s but I’m sure there’s a couple others

I think the games, especially the title being on a Sunday night (8:30 PM) in Dayton is a bad idea.

I understand southwest Ohios frustration at the football titles being played in canton. But that seems like an argument for another day.

If you had these games in Columbus, on Friday and Saturday, there’d be a huge group of ignatius and Ed’s fans coming down for the weekend. I don’t think either school will bring many to Dayton. It will play to Centervilles favor.

Just make it 45 in a row so we can (hopefully) play spoiler.

Not getting too far ahead of myself (ahem), but has a double digit loss team ever won the Div. 1 title?
Yes. But don’t have the current years. Linden McKinley comes to mind in the mid 70’s but I’m sure there’s a couple others
Actually, no, it’s never been done. Class AAA champion Linden McKinley finished 18-8 in 1975. Those eight losses were the most ever for a Class AAA/Division I champion.

As a Centerville fan, here's what makes me nervous. St. Ignatius has 6 days to work on a game plan as opposed to one to three days. I'm sure there are pros and cons for so much time between games, however in this case it could favor a hot Ignatius team.

Ignatius had a loaded schedule with top tier teams. Their only easy games were against top tier programs having down seasons.
So essentially had a big game every night.
With that said, prior to Lima, they had a pretty easy path to Dayton.
I'd put Centerville as a 12 point favorite, but if Iggy has a hot night they have the talent and composure to pull an upset.

Ignatius made some tweaks to their starting lineup, bringing a couple former starters off the bench, and seems to have found a working recipe where there is not a drop-off when rotating. They have a great 3-point shooter in Effertz and some talented young guards that will keep them a final four contender for the next couple years. I don't know that they are quite ready for a talented and veteran team like Centerville, but I would not be shocked to see them play the spoiler role.

Dayton Daily News says the Elks played the toughest schedule in the state this year. Curious whether that’s accurate. Someone with some knowledge of the topic wish to evaluate the Ignatius regular season schedule vs Centerville’s?

Ignatius (11-11)

Cathedral (Indiana) L
Gilmour W
Walsh Jesuit L
Lutheran East W
Junipero Serra (California) W
Moreau Catholic (California) W
Liberty (Nevada) L
Bishop Manogue (Cali.) W
Cleveland Hts W
Wheeler (Georgia) L
Sylvania Northview L
St Ed’s L
Benedictine W
VASJ W
SV/SM L
Hoover L
St Ed’s L
Shaker W
Cl Central Catholic W
Brush L
Lutheran West W
Green L

Ed‘s schedule deserves a “look see” as well

Last edited:
Dayton Daily News says the Elks played the toughest schedule in the state this year. Curious whether that’s accurate. Someone with some knowledge of the topic wish to evaluate the Ignatius regular season schedule vs Centerville’s?

According to martinrpi.com, Centerville's SOS is indeed the toughest in D1.
St Ignatius is right there at #4. St Edward is at # 35.
For those interested the last final 4 team Pickerington Central was ranked # 22 in SOS.

Ignatius (10-10)

Cathedral (Indiana) L
Gilmour W
Walsh Jesuit L
Lutheran East W
Junipero Serra (California) W
Moreau Catholic (California) W
Liberty (Nevada) L
Bishop Manogue (Cali.) W
Cleveland Hts W
Wheeler (Georgia) L
Sylvania Northview L
St Ed’s L
Benedictine W
VASJ W
SV/SM L
Hoover L
St Ed’s L
Shaker W
Cl Central Catholic W
Brush L
Lutheran West W
Green L

Probably comes down to how much value you put on the six prep school teams Centerville played vs Iggy's games against good HS teams in hostile away gyms like Walsh Jesuit, Hoover, Green, Brush, etc. Don't know how many games of those tight losses were away games.

So Cal prep team had really good talent but long way from home. I think a couple of the prep school teams were kids that graduated last year. Almost JUCO type teams. So that adds an element to it.

I would say both teams tried to play as hard a schedule as they could which is admirable and the right approach IMO.

Probably comes down to how much value you put on the six prep school teams Centerville played vs Iggy's games against good HS teams in hostile away gyms like Walsh Jesuit, Hoover, Green, Brush, etc. Don't know how many games of those tight losses were away games.

So Cal prep team had really good talent but long way from home. I think a couple of the prep school teams were kids that graduated last year. Almost JUCO type teams. So that adds an element to it.

I would say both teams tried to play as hard a schedule as they could which is admirable and the right approach IMO.
Centerville also beat St. Vincent St. Mary's on their court, state ranked Kettering Fairmont three times. In addition, one of the Academys were nationally ranked.
Screenshot_20220313-120321_Samsung Internet.jpg

Saw St I’s play Indy Cathedral 1st game of the year and they are really solid. Physically tough team that plays hard on each possession. I promise you they will match the Elks tenacity each time down the floor. They too, do not take a possession off.

The game is in DAYTON? I mean, how far does each team have to travel? How is that fair? Why isn't the game in Columbus? Ohio State doesn't want it? Can't old Crew Stadium be domed? It must be favoritism on the part of the OHSAA committee. That's it, SW Ohio bias.:) Truth is, Ignatius is just happy to be the game when no one expected they would be. Best of luck to both teams for a clean, injury-free game.
All of the State final Games are in Dayton this year. Apparently the OHSAA and OSU could not find commonality for them to host. I am not certain of the reasons behind it but maybe another Yappi poster can elaborate. I am not a Centerville fan, but live in the suburbs of Dayton so I am very happy to be headed to UD for 3 days and all sessions.

To follow up on CatAlum’s post, here’s more context to Ignatius’ schedule, including their opponents’ current records and status in the post-season.
The Wildcats have had 5 games vs. Ohio D1-2-3 schools in the Final 4 + 5 games vs. Ohio D1 schools that made the regionals (but not the Final 4) + 1 game vs. an Indiana 4A school in its Final 4 + 1 game vs a Georgia 6A school in the Elite 8 + the Nevada state champion (also nationally ranked like Centerville). 13 of 28 games vs. teams going far in their state tournaments. 5 of the 11 losses were by 4 points or less

Current record: 17-11

Indianapolis Cathedral (24-6, Indiana 4A Final 4) - L
Gilmour Academy – (22-5, D2 Final 4) - W
Walsh Jesuit - (20-3) - L in OT
Lutheran East - (16-9, D3 Final 4) - W
Gardena CA Junipero Serra - (20-12) - W
Hayward CA Moreau Catholic - (24-5) - W
Henderson NV Liberty - (22-4, Nevada 5A state champion) - L
Reno NV Bishop Manogue (16-11) - W
Cleveland Hts - (19-7, D1 regional semifinalist) - W
Marietta GA Wheeler - (25-5, Georgia 6A Quarterfinals/Elite 8) - L
Sylvania Northview - (25-2, D1 regional semifinalist) - L
St Edward - (21-5, D1 Final 4) - L
Benedictine (7-16) - W
VASJ (10-12) - W
Akron SVSM - (24-4, D2 Final 4) - L
No. Canton Hoover - (17-6) - L
St Edward - (21-5, D1 Final 4) - L
Shaker Hts (17-6) - W
Cle. Central Catholic (7-13) - W
Brush (20-4) - L
Lutheran West (17-7) - W
Green - (23-3, D1 regional semifinalist) – L in OT

state tournament
Cle. John Marshall (2-10) - W
Akron Firestone (8-13) - W
Brunswick (19-8) - W
Lima Senior - (24-3, D1 regional finalist) - W

Last edited:
To follow up on CatAlum’s post, here’s more context to Ignatius’ schedule, including their opponents’ current records and status in the post-season.
The Wildcats have had 5 games vs. Ohio D1-2-3 schools in the Final 4 + 5 games vs. Ohio D1 schools that made the regionals (but not the Final 4) + 1 game vs. an Indiana 4A school in its Final 4 + 1 game vs a Georgia 6A school in the Elite 8 + the Nevada state champion (also nationally ranked like Centerville). 13 of 28 games vs. teams going far in their state tournaments. 5 of the 11 losses were by 4 points or less

Current record: 17-11

Indianapolis Cathedral (24-6, Indiana 4A Final 4) - L
Gilmour Academy – (22-5, D2 Final 4) - W
Walsh Jesuit - (20-3) - L in OT
Lutheran East - (16-9, D3 Final 4) - W
Gardena CA Junipero Serra - (20-12) - W
Hayward CA Moreau Catholic - (24-5) - W
Henderson NV Liberty - (22-4, Nevada 5A state champion) - L
Reno NV Bishop Manogue (16-11) - W
Marietta GA Wheeler - (25-5, Georgia 6A Quarterfinals/Elite 8) - L
Sylvania Northview - (25-2, D1 regional semifinalist) - L
St Edward - (20-5, D1 Final 4) - L
Benedictine (7-16) - W
VASJ (10-12) - W
Akron SVSM - (24-4, D2 Final 4) - L
No. Canton Hoover - (17-6) - L
St Edward - (20-5, D1 Final 4) - L
Shaker Hts (17-6) - W
Cle. Central Catholic (7-13) - W
Brush (20-4) - L
Lutheran West (17-7) - W
Green - (23-3, D1 regional semifinalist) – L in OT

state tournament
Cle. John Marshall (2-10) - W
Akron Firestone (8-13) - W
Brunswick (19-8) - W
Lima Senior - (24-3, D1 regional finalist) - W
I guess we'll see if Centerville (28-0) becomes the 18th win or 12th loss against great competition.

Last edited:
St. Ignatius returns to the Final Four after losing to Westerville South in last year’s semifinals. Many of the kids on last season’s team return – 7 of them played in that semifinal game. However, Ignatius is still young with 3 juniors and 6 sophomores to go along with the 7 seniors on its varsity roster. There was great anticipation at the start of the season, but the reality of the regular season was one of disappointment as the Wildcats’ play was inconsistent and at times, very frustrating to watch. Ignatius showed improvement around the time of the tournament and their best play was in the district finals and 2 regional games. As mentioned by EP01, coach Cam Joyce (SVSM’s coach Dru Joyce’s son) tweaked as well as shortened the player rotations going into the tournament.

Ignatius’ strengths are defense and its depth. During regular season games, coach Joyce would play all 16 kids on the roster. It was ‘everyone plays’. Going deeper into the tournament, he has shortened the rotation to usually 10-11 kids (4 seniors, 2 juniors and 5 sophomores) getting significant minutes. The Wildcats’ starting line-up does not necessarily reflect who will be playing in crunch time. The team has reasonable athleticism and reasonable size – the tournament rotation of 7 in the backcourt range from 6-0 to 6-3 and the 4 in the frontcourt range from 6-4 to 6-10.

The Wildcats played in the Final 4 last season and have been tested with a difficult schedule this season, as noted in the above post. Ignatius has played against teams with major D1 recruits like the Elks have on their roster. In that respect, none of those factors are new. However, this is still a young team loaded with underclassmen. With 6 sophomores on the varsity roster and most of them starting or getting a lot of playing time + an undefeated JV team with more sophomores and freshmen, I think the Wildcats are 1-2 years away from really competing for a state championship.

Both teams have film to scout each other on. I would assume coach Joyce has his father Dru’s SVSM game plan vs Centerville from earlier this season, but unfortunately he does not have Sencire Harris! Both teams will be ready.

Centerville has proven that they are the best team in Ohio. They are great team with a great coach. I hope Ignatius can be competitive and give the Elks a good game. This will be a good experience for the Wildcats - for the future.

I agree with ElksOne that I anticipate a lower scoring game as defense will be a key.
Good luck to both teams on Saturday and for both to stay healthy as there still a Sunday night game to play!

UD hosting finals with Centerville is just as fair as football final being up north every year. Probably more so because weather will play no factor.
That being said UD is by far best of all Arenas to host that I have been to ( UC..parking .sucks, X....is good, OSU... parking sucks but better than UC)

I thought Fairfield had a chance with Centerville. it was a 8 to 12 pt game most of the way with FF cutting it to, I think 6, in 4th qt.
Alot closer than final score

UD hosting finals with Centerville is just as fair as football final being up north every year. Probably more so because weather will play no factor.
That being said UD is by far best of all Arenas to host that I have been to ( UC..parking .sucks, X....is good, OSU... parking sucks but better than UC)

I thought Fairfield had a chance with Centerville. it was a 8 to 12 pt game most of the way with FF cutting it to, I think 6, in 4th qt.
Alot closer than final score
Also remember, Columbus didn’t want it in the first place. Their loss is Dayton’s gain. The region is raking the $ in this week. Girls finals, First Four and the Boys finals!