Cavs 2023-24

Reports revealed that some members of the Cavaliers were irked by Allen's refusal to accept an injection to numb the pain and play through his rib injury. Allen, who sustained the injury in Game 1 of the first-round series against the Orlando Magic, remained sidelined for eight consecutive games, including the entire second-round matchup against the Celtics.

Despite hopes that Allen, known as one of the team's best defenders, would be available to contribute, his decision not to accept the injection left the Cavaliers without a key piece for their playoff push.

The frustration stemmed from the belief that Allen's presence on the court could have made a significant difference, especially as the team faced elimination. Allen averaged 16.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 1.1 blocks per game while shooting 16.5% from the field.

Allen is dead to me.

I watched 90% of the games this year…Mobley is mediocre…we played way better without him. His ceiling is not much higher unless he embraces the 5…gets WAY stronger and develops something beyond the fading hook or shot…he will never be a shooter…he doesn’t have the skill or mindset…nice that he can dunk over guards on lobs…he struggles against true bigs. He is a good shot blocker…he is starting year 4 with no big improvement…go ahead and sign him…we are just spinning our wheels. We made a few moves last summer that got us into the second round. Mitchell said it…the goals are too low and there is immaturity. To me that is Garland and Mobley….not aggressive and unprepared.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
Really don't see any way they can move Darius. Whether one wants to argue about how well or not he's been utilized, IMO it is undeniable he stunk and looked timid post-injury this year.

Can't see anyone biting on paying him $35-40 million a year for the next four years without first seeing some bounce back from him next year.
To me if DM stays … everyone wants Garland and Allen traded … but the return on investment IMO would be very low … but if they paired Garland with Mobley they would have a much better chance of getting value and a player or two that could really help … to me getting equal value is more important than the perceived potential many of you see.

To me if DM stays … everyone wants Garland and Allen traded … but the return on investment IMO would be very low … but if they paired Garland with Mobley they would have a much better chance of getting value and a player or two that could really help … to me getting equal value is more important than the perceived potential many of you see.
I think you're on the right track as to what is required in terms of a Garland trade. That contract is a major negative asset relative to his performance this year, and it will require an asset(s) to be rid of...that asset has to be either Mobley (their only real player/prospect asset) or an expiring contract with LeVert/Okoro that can be dumped off the books or traded later on for other assets. They are light on first round picks for the next several years.

A team would have to have an unbelievably incompetent GM to trade two quality rotation players/4th or 5th starter types for Garland straight up.

I think you're on the right track as to what is required in terms of a Garland trade. That contract is a major negative asset relative to his performance this year, and it will require an asset(s) to be rid of...that asset has to be either Mobley (their only real player/prospect asset) or an expiring contract with LeVert/Okoro that can be dumped off the books or traded later on for other assets. They are light on first round picks for the next several years.
Might be stuck with Garland. Have to use him as the main scorer off the bench and rarely ever on the floor at the same time as Mitchell. I really like that one proposed trade of Allen for Brandon Ingram. Plus, to match salaries you can also dump off an unwanted contract on the Pelicans.

I'd be careful about believing everything reported by the media (as evidenced by the Mitchell tweet). It's amazing to me how the national media cannot wait to get Mitchell out of Cleveland. The season had barely ended and the Cavs organizational began.
The national media wants him in New York...for obvious reasons. Okay, Mitchell straight up for Brunson.

Bickerstaff irks vets:

“Multiple veterans in the Cavs locker room grew frustrated with Bickerstaff for treating the Cavs as a young team with much to learn, instead of as a team ready to contend,” The Athletic reported.

Last edited:
The Pacers and Knicks didn’t try to game the system to get a specific first round match up and one of them will be in the conference finals soon.

Fire Altman and JB soon, please. Let’s bring in management that sets championships as the goal.

According to Grant Afseth of NBA Analysis Network, Donovan Mitchell will likely remain with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Mitchell is under contract for next season and has a $37 million player option for 2025-26, but he is eligible to sign a four-year extension this summer.

“Multiple sources have told the NBA Analysis Network both before and after their postseason appearance that Mitchell is likelier to remain in Cleveland than not,” Asfeth wrote.

“League sources briefed on the Cavaliers’ mindset told The Athletic that Bickerstaff’s job is in serious jeopardy after five and a half years as head coach, following the team’s season-ending loss in Game 5 of the second round to the Celtics,” Charania, Vardon and Lloyd wrote. “Two league sources said the team is likely to take some time — multiple days — to make a decision. … Multiple league sources have said, for months, that Mitchell did not have great confidence in Bickerstaff, and he was not alone.”

I don't like the idea of firing a coach, for the sake of change. If you're going to make the move you have to find somebody better. And not Marc Jackson or Frank Vogel. But you can't hire a rookie coach either unless you're moving Mitchell.

I don't like the idea of firing a coach, for the sake of change. If you're going to make the move you have to find somebody better. And not Marc Jackson or Frank Vogel. But you can't hire a rookie coach either unless you're moving Mitchell.
I seriously would ask Mitchell if he would like a vote in the next coaching hire - ask him if he has a guy that he works well with. Make Mitchell feel incredibly wanted.

Vogel or Jackson wouldn’t be my top choice, but either would be an improvement over JB. Both more accomplished than JB, for sure.

Spurs are emerging as betting odds favorites to land Garland if traded.

One of a few teams I could actually see being interested. Have previously seen quite a bit of speculation with the Spurs and Trae Young. Garland is cheaper and probably a safer fit with Wemby in terms of not having excess usage rate.

Realistic trade return/money matching: Keldon Johnson, Zach Collins (expiring contract), 8th overall pick in the draft. Probably could add either a cheap player (Branham??) or a 2nd 1st in 2025 or 2026 as they have a ton of incoming picks.

Unless you could get somebody like Brandon Ingram (Pelicans), the Spurs probably can give the best return.

Johnson gives solid shooting and has some size. Can probably get you 16-18 ppg as either the 2-guard or the 6th man. Probably could get some bench shooting with a Knecht or a Sheppard at #8. Other pieces are either cheap or could be traded later on.

Unless you could get somebody like Brandon Ingram (Pelicans), the Spurs probably can give the best return.

Johnson gives solid shooting and has some size. Can probably get you 16-18 ppg as either the 2-guard or the 6th man. Probably could get some bench shooting with a Knecht or a Sheppard at #8. Other pieces are either cheap or could be traded later on.
In the NBA you still have the occasional three team trade. I wonder if the Cavs can’t get Ingram in a more creative deal by bringing in a third team?

In the NBA you still have the occasional three team trade. I wonder if the Cavs can’t get Ingram in a more creative deal by bringing in a third team?
Probably would have to be a 3 team deal with the Spurs. Garland to the Spurs and Allen to the Pelicans.

Cavs -- Ingram, Jones or Collins, 8th pick from Spurs

Pelicans -- Allen, Johnson, some future Spurs pick(s)

Spurs -- Garland, 21st pick from Pelicans

Draft compensation here is weird IMO looking at outgoing/incoming players. Probably needs a lot of adjustment, but the player nuts and bolts IMO are what this deal would have to look like.

Last edited:
Working San Antonio is complicated IMO as they don't really have any big contracts.

Johnson makes what Allen makes, and Johnson is by far the Spurs highest paid player. In the above IMO the Cavs have to at least get the 8th pick by way of giving up by far the most in actual player production between Garland and Allen.

Last edited:
Probably would have to be a 3 team deal with the Spurs. Garland to the Spurs and Allen to the Pelicans.

Cavs -- Ingram, Jones or Collins, 8th pick from Spurs

Pelicans -- Allen, Johnson, some future Spurs pick(s)

Spurs -- Garland, 21st pick from Pelicans

Draft compensation here is weird IMO looking at outgoing/incoming players. Probably needs a lot of adjustment, but the player nuts and bolts IMO are what this deal would have to look like.
I like your framework, but yes…it’s not so easy to match the salaries. It is a trade where each team winds up with who they want, though, which makes it good in principle. Well, except for the Cavs still being stuck with that loser Mobley - haha

Brandon Ingram might be headed to Cavaliers soon. The Cleveland Cavaliers are strategically preparing to revamp their roster this NBA offseason, with an ambitious aim to better complement their star, Donovan Mitchell. At the heart of their plan is the pursuit of additional star power to strengthen their presence in the Eastern Conference. As the team eyes a deeper playoff run, they’ve set their sights on a significant target: Brandon Ingram of the New Orleans Pelicans.

The two of them don’t weigh enough to be jockeys 🤣…Sign Mobley for 215 and just sit back and watch this unravel…this is a business…not a video game

“Sources have informed NBA Analysis Network that the San Antonio Spurs are among various organizations that have conducted due diligence on Garland as a potential trade candidate,” Afseth wrote. “The Spurs seek a talented playmaking guard to pair with Victor Wembanyama. Some within San Antonio’s organization are believed to have more interest in Garland than Trae Young.”

So the solution for a team labeled “soft” is to pair Brandon Ingram with Evan Mobley … wow, what could go wrong?
I think unfortunately here, the two most likely wing/small forward options are Ingram and LeBron...unless some TBD player forces their way out of their current situation.

I think unfortunately here, the two most likely wing/small forward options are Ingram and LeBron...unless some TBD player forces their way out of their current situation.
It seems some people discount that a team, and players, can look much different under a new coach with a new system. Especially a coach not so schizophrenic with his rotations.

So the solution for a team labeled “soft” is to pair Brandon Ingram with Evan Mobley … wow, what could go wrong?
It isn’t like the NBA is physical inside like it was in the 1990s. Ingram is the stretch four everyone wants Mobley to be and Mobley becomes the five everyone wants him to be. You should be happy.

With so much past smoke about the Pelicans repeatedly trying to get Allen, coupled with the Spurs interest in Garland and the Cavs being linked to Ingram the last couple seasons, this actually has the makings of a workable three team deal.

Don't even bring up LeBron. He's just playing everybody to make the Lakers give him what he wants.

Reactions: y2h
With so much past smoke about the Pelicans repeatedly trying to get Allen, coupled with the Spurs interest in Garland and the Cavs being linked to Ingram the last couple seasons, this actually has the makings of a workable three team deal.
But is it better?