Cardinal Mooney HC placed on Leave

Until recent years there were strict territorial boundries set in stone for all Diocesan parishes and schools mostly set by the Mahoning River. Westside, Eastside, Northside, Campbell, Austintown, Liberty, Hubbard, Girard were Ursuline feeders. Southside, Boardman, Struthers, Poland, Canfield, were Mooney feeders. The kid from Brookfield who is now at CM would have had to go to JFK, etc. The enrollments at CM & UHS were fairly even throughout. I'm not sure which Bishop changed the arrangements so families can now send there kids wherever they'd like. Tobin or Murry. It has worked in Ursuline's favor the last 8 years or so but before that CM had the upper hand. Many factors are involved, especially how parents perceive the differences academically, where kid's friends are attending, safety of neighborhoods, the cultures of the schools, etc. The expressway right by Ursuline helps, too. It's easy to get to.
Ursuline has had kids from Trumbull county before this isn’t anything new, I’m sure Mooney has as well

Ursuline has had kids from Trumbull county before this isn’t anything new, I’m sure Mooney has as well
Girard, Liberty, & Hubbard were, until the last decade or so, always Ursuline feeder areas as prescribed by the Diocese. eg. Girard was UHS but over the line into Niles it was JFK. Trumbull kids NEVER attended Mooney until the Diocese ended strict geographical lines. For example as a student at UHS in the early '70s my classmates who moved from the eastside to Struthers had to switch to Mooney, no discussion. A good friend from Hubbard moved to Howland and he had to then go to JFK, no discussion. All this has changed and now it is very much to Ursuline's benefit.

If Pelini is released of his duties. And they decide not to go with Tucci. It's time to hire somebody who is not in the "Mooney family." If the school wants to clean this up entirely, then start from the beginning. I do believe that being it's a catholic institution, a catholic who knows the religion should be hired.
CM coaches have been CM grads since Bucci who was an East High Golden Bear. The eastside was heavily Italian back then (to add to the Irish who were already there).

I doubt that Youngstown isn’t any more violent than it has always been. It’s just broadcasted more now will social media. Same with Warren, which was way more violent when I was growing up in the 80’s & 90’s. Now, technology has made the world smaller, so we all pretty much know each other now. When stuff happens, it has more “shock value” since we’re more connected now than we used to be. People be like, “IT’S SO BAD HERE NOW!” when it’s always been like this. We just have fewer positive distractions (jobs, rec centers, community involvement, etc.) than we did back in the day.

As for Mooney, it seems like they’re handling this unfortunate situation well so far. People were questioning the Pelini hire to begin with, but I think that it shows how Mooney doesn’t turn their back on their alumni. Sadly, it didn’t work out, but I respect them for not acting like Pelini never existed because of his past. Happens too often.
It took youngstown a long time to start getting the numbers to trickle down coming out of the 80s and 90s. 2021 has seen the most shootings and murders to this point in years. Especially the southside. Something needed done then. And something needs done now

He'll be out quickly. He was likely taking time to talk to a lawyer and negotiate his surrender.

Mooney is hoping to hire Trent Dilfer as head coach to bring in a calmer gentler demeanor.
"Mooney Looney" world may be gone for good. The perception among parents at St. Charles and elsewhere is that its been a "football factory" that lost its soul in a dangerous neighborhood.. The school has been trying to get back on its feet. Front page bad press like this morning's sets them back hard.

He'll be out quickly. He was likely taking time to talk to a lawyer and negotiate his surrender.

Mooney is hoping to hire Trent Dilfer as head coach to bring in a calmer gentler demeanor.
I just saw Trent was pushing Phil Dawson's son. Phil is special teams coordinator for Trent and his son is starting TE. Wondered why we hadn't heard the parents in uproar

I just finished reading a column by the USA Today that was done on Carl Pelini after being fired from FAU.. this was a quote by the author, “Pelini comes off as, well, awfully likeable. He makes difficult, personal points without a raised voice or ounce of venom. He's measured and calm and genuinely seems to listen. A conversation with Pelini makes you stop and think, "This guy was probably a phenomenal high school coach."

Talk about something not aging well…

When has USA Today ever been recognized for factual reporting, in the true sense?

Wouldn't matter. Since he wasn't arrested when it happened it's a moot point because any good attorney would argue that if he tested positive now, he could have used it in between when it happened and now.
Having already been fired for using Drugs I’m pretty sure it would matter, especially to the Mooney Administration.

Wow - no innocent until proven guilty on here. Carl is a very intense guy and all the yappi killers on here are cracking on him pretty bad. Wish Carl could get each one of you in a room and see what you all say to his face man to man. I bet he sends each one of you to the hospital.