Canton McKinley football program

Not playing a card but the state report cards speak for themselves? No? And I agree 100% that if a kid applies themselves they can get a quality education at most (not all) schools. Lets be honest going to Massillon for their education is not what transfers have strived for their whole lives.
Why didn’t you respond to the 2nd part of my post? Canton CSD?

Well keeping score is not your strong suite then.
Knowing how to keep score is not your strong point.

They live next to bordering Hudson and Revere...
So if you live next to a crack house, that makes you an addict?

...but since you obviously don't know what schools offer better educations its a mute point.
I think you mean "moot". But mute would suit you better.

Not playing a card but the state report cards speak for themselves? No? And I agree 100% that if a kid applies themselves they can get a quality education at most (not all) schools. Let’s be honest going to Massillon for their education is not what transfers have strived for their whole lives.
No, not totally. Please name the schools that are included in your list where you can‘t get a quality education?

It was surprising to me to see such little change if any after merging with Timken. With that new huge enrollment and everything unified under McKinley's control I figured would be a real boost but it obviously wasn't, at least thus far. As a Massillon fan I would LOVE to have those numbers, and I understand the demographics argument, I just think our infrastructure and support system would make it work.
So many people have said this over the years, and I've never understood it. I graduated from McKinley in 1982. At that time, most of my classmates and I had two parents at home. Our fathers were high school educated but had good paying jobs in the steel, automotive, ball bearing, and vacuum cleaner industries.

Very, very few of my classmates were homeless or went to bed hungry. It was rare for one of us to have a father in prison or a parent who abused us. That is not the Canton or McKinley that the kids today are living in and going to school to. Having a large enrollment doesn't mean much when so many of the kids have to focus on getting their and their family's basic needs met rather than extracurricular activities.

Some things haven't changed between 1980 and today....the kids and coaches devote a massive amount of time and energy to the program, they want to win, and Massillon is the most important game on the schedule.

I've seen some Massillon fans suggest that the rivalry should come to an end. That's up to Massillon...they're going to have to refuse to renew the contract. Some have suggested that coach Moore should refuse to play in a stadium that has a metal detector (kind of stupid given that the state championship is played in such a stadium).

What people need to understand is that despite the challenges the McKinley kids and coaches face, they are 7-3 and won the Federal League title. They are better than the majority of D1 teams in Ohio, including suburban programs that have twice as many kids and don't face the challenges of urban programs.

The McKinley 7th and 8th grade teams beat Massillon. This year's team has more kids receiving D1 offers than I can recall in the past decade. Before throwing coach Hall under the bus, understand that changing coaches again is not going to create different results. The school will still be in Canton.

So many people have said this over the years, and I've never understood it. I graduated from McKinley in 1982. At that time, most of my classmates and I had two parents at home. Our fathers were high school educated but had good paying jobs in the steel, automotive, ball bearing, and vacuum cleaner industries.

Very, very few of my classmates were homeless or went to bed hungry. It was rare for one of us to have a father in prison or a parent who abused us. That is not the Canton or McKinley that the kids today are living in and going to school to. Having a large enrollment doesn't mean much when so many of the kids have to focus on getting their and their family's basic needs met rather than extracurricular activities.

Some things haven't changed between 1980 and today....the kids and coaches devote a massive amount of time and energy to the program, they want to win, and Massillon is the most important game on the schedule.

I've seen some Massillon fans suggest that the rivalry should come to an end. That's up to Massillon...they're going to have to refuse to renew the contract. Some have suggested that coach Moore should refuse to play in a stadium that has a metal detector (kind of stupid given that the state championship is played in such a stadium).

What people need to understand is that despite the challenges the McKinley kids and coaches face, they are 7-3 and won the Federal League title. They are better than the majority of D1 teams in Ohio, including suburban programs that have twice as many kids and don't face the challenges of urban programs.

The McKinley 7th and 8th grade teams beat Massillon. This year's team has more kids receiving D1 offers than I can recall in the past decade. Before throwing coach Hall under the bus, understand that changing coaches again is not going to create different results. The school will still be in Canton.
If you are going to mention the results of the 7th and 8th grade football games, which were 8-6 and 18-16, respectfully. Maybe you should also mention the results of the varsity, JV and freshman teams. They were 35-0, 27-13 and 44-0, in favor of the Tigers.

Last edited:

Best post by far and it not even close. Thank you for bringing some reality to Yappi

That was a strange moment. The mic wasn’t working that she had. So after an awkward minute of silence, the McKinley side actually began trying to sing in unison. Even players and coaches. It wasnt easy to hear, so I’m not blaming them, but Massillon side began their TIG chant and getting fired up for the game. Seeing this, McK side did away with finishing the song and got fired up for the game too. It was a unfortunate start to the game
Thanks

If you are going to mention the results of the 7th and 8th grade football games, which were 8-6 and 18-16, respectfully. Maybe you should also mention the results of the varsity, JV and freshman teams. They were 35-0, 27-13 and 44-0, in favor of the Tigers.
It’s amazing how “selective” in the use of facts the haters are when trying to disparage Massillon. It is hilarious that someone would talk about pre varsity levels and leave out frosh and reserve games.
😂😂😂

Again, I must add, for proper context, McKinley is the outright FL champs, and have the most talented roster in the League. But there are a small handful of very elite teams in D1/D2 including Massillon, Avon, Hoban, Ed, Moeller, and maybe 1-2 others, they are not ready to compete with.

So if we are talking about McKinley returning to that level, their previous level, that's one thing. But let's not paint them like a hapless Senate League program.
Competing year in and year out with programs like Massillon, Hoban, Eds, Iggy, Moeller is the pinnacle of high school football in Ohio. That benchmark is likely unattainable for a school such as McKinley despite having athletically gifted students. They should be regularly competing for Federal League titles yearly, but they should not be assumed to be a contender in Division 1 playoffs every year. Having talent on a roster does not simply equate to success on the field, nor is it a good idea to have consistent turnover at the head coach position. Like I said, I think Coach Hall has done far more good for the program than the record indicates, but at the end of the day it is the W-L record that determines the ultimate success of a coach.

Can a moderator please intervene on this thread !!!! This is ridiculous. People are posting about a variety of teams that wear orange and black but very little about Canton McKinley. If this was on another thread it would have been restricted by now.

Like I said, I think Coach Hall has done far more good for the program than the record indicates, but at the end of the day it is the W-L record that determines the ultimate success of a coach.
I completely agree about Hall being right for McKinley. He is a true bulldog and loves the school. I believe that those 2 things are extremely important for a coach to have in him or her. I just think he may be a little young/inexperienced for that high profile of a job for his first one, and, weirdly enough, may have been hired a little late for this situation. If that makes any sense to people.

I mentioned the results of the 7th and 8th grade games because McKinley fans have been calling for the youth programs to be developed but haven't acknowledged that it may be gradually occurring.

This is, after all, a thread about McKinley football.

How many Canton McKinley Football players won't be playing against Strongsville because of the fight against Massillon Washington players ?