Canton McKinley football 2012

BigBulldog

Since we can no longer post at McK.com please start posting in this forum.

Our first game of the season is against Walsh Jesuit this Friday at 7:00 PM

Who do you think will win and why?

I think McKinley will win because of their defense. I think the offense will struggle early on, but the defense has some serious talent on it. In time, the offense will catch up and be pretty special itself. Hopefully, special teams will also make improvements at a rapid pace.

I agree.....And I hope some posters from McK.com will join us here.

GO BULLDOGSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello... I've also crossed over from McK.com... I feel like a fish out of water... I hope this post goes OK... my first attempt did not survive.

I will be at the game Saturday night... it's a 140 mile round trip for me and my wife... it takes about 65 minutes to get home ... give me another 30 minutes to type out some notes, and I will share some thoughts about two hours after the game ends.

I know of Filtz when he coached at Maple Heights... my two kids went to Olmsted Falls... He had Shaq Washington, and we did not... He won.

I say McKinley should win... Filtz is a game day coach who is good at making adjustments... He has won a state championship, and was a star player in his own right... and we are talented at the skill positions

Also, that "hole" in our schedule for the third game brings added pressure... I read somewhere that wins and losses are exaggerated in a nine game schedule... (anybody feel free to correct me)... my point is that these early games are vital, and I feel good that Filtz is our coach... (if Filtz needs even more pressure to win this first game, there is Huber waiting as game two).

I will see everyone here late Saturday night... Good luck to all... Go Pups!...sam (class of '68)

Last edited:
One exciting victory for the Pups, 34 -28... No Bulldog mascots on the field... I see both Peloso's (the owners) but they must have left their two dogs at home... NO Founders Club program or even Youth Football League players on the field... only the cheerleaders forming two lines out onto the Field (by the inflatable tunnel)...THIS is wrong to have no support of fans (except the band) to cheer the team onto the field... a so-so crowd in the stands... the band is impressive... I'm guessing 70 (?) members strong.

A major difference in the appearance of the two teams... Walsh is tall and bulky... McKinley is small, lanky, and fast... our kicking game needs help... kickoffs are short, and punts are barely acceptable... both play into the two early scores by Walsh.... opening kickoff was to the ten, and Mck first punt was for 26 (?) yds.

Mck runs an up tempo offense that is ready to go whenever ball is whistled into play... twice (?) McK flagged for starting play before the officials call the ball ready... play is sloppy by both teams as many flags are thrown... Holding, blocking in the back, personal fouls, off-sides, defensive interference, etc...both teams are guilty.

I like the three coaches on the sideline "wigwagging" signals into the offense...two quick touchdowns by Walsh is a deflater... McK doesn't quit, and scores 27 unanswered points...Walsh takes the lead 27-28, and Mck closes it out 34-28... Of course, Mck also fumbles on the one yard line on a QB sneak, and Walsh runs the ball back about twenty yards (the score was 7-14 at the time)

Mck scores five TD's on drives of 10-5-5-7-3 plays which covered 81-86-80-80-88 yards.... Walsh had four TD's BUT one was the 90 yd opening kickoff, and the others were for 76- 79- 48 yds... (on the 79yd TD, the McK defender fell down which allowed the receiver to coast in for a 64 yd catch and run)... So, take away Walsh's kickoff TD, and take away the short field TD, and keep the Mck pass defender on his feet, AND give MCK the stripped away fumble at the goal line, AND you have a very different game... I KNOW you can't do that, BUT MY point is that the final score was very CLOSE, BUT Mck WAS the superior team.

The defensive line had a good game... with several sacks... the secondary needs to improve, and we need a stronger kicking game.... our QB is learning to run out of bounds when trapped so that he can save on the wear and tear... On some plays, the offensive line gave plenty of time for the pass routes to develop.

It is going to be a fun year... with a lot of thrills... ALL in all, today was a good day... Good luck to all, sam (class of '68)

It was a wonderful evening for football and the game was a real thriller...this team will only get better,so much fun to watch...GO BULLDOGS!

ON TO GAME TWO - Away at Huber Heights Wayne, Sat. 9-1-2012, 7:00PM
----------------------

A long time ago, a group of people gathered together and said: "let us build a community in the middle of nowhere... let there be no easy access by roads...just a desolate spot in the country... a place which time will eventually forget... unconnected to the physical world... a destination to where no outsiders would reasonably venture ... and we will name this place Huber Heights"
-------------------
OK, maybe it actually happened differently, but the above is how I feel... Sitting here in Cleveland while looking at my Road Atlas, I can only ask: "What demented soul scheduled this game in the land that time forgot?... where are the direct roads?... I am sure that there are just as lonely of places in Northeast Ohio, it's just that Nobody lives there!"

SO, if (from Cleveland) I head down I-71 to Columbus, swing over to I-70 West to Dayton, I figure that should take three hours... travelers from Canton won't fair much better ... I'm guessing their journey will begin with a trip along Route 30 to reach I-71. Regardless of a Cleveland or Canton starting point, the journey should take the same Three hours to ONLY get to the general Dayton area.

AND, THEN, the real fun begins to get to the Huber Heights stadium... Once reaching Dayton, one must travel back country roads, find a place to park (their school parking lot is under repair), buy a ticket, get to our seats, which will take another Hour... Final tally is an Eight hour round trip travel time, Three hours for the game, a total of an ELEVEN Hour trip.. (leave at 3:00pm, and return by 2:00AM.)

(And, for Goodness sakes, don't get lost around Huber Heights... the farmers down there will probably give their directions to McKinley fans in measures based upon the number of fence posts, scarecrows, elm trees, or a herd of cows, etc.)

I feel sorry for any fan taking the bus...IF one is offered... traveling at a slower speed and given a few rest stops, this now becomes a Twelve (?) Hour Trip... And, what will the team do?...Travel the night before and sleep over?...or leave even two hours earlier to get pre-game time in?... a then thirteen hour commitment.

All in all, a bad travel day for McKinley... AND, the weather service says to expect RAIN on Saturday... After writing this all out, I sadly think I am staying home... safe in front of my radio ...being a fan is one thing, making this expedition is another.

Good luck to all, sam (class of '68) ... For those making the trip, I see an address of 5400 Chambersburg Rd, Huber Heights, OH, 45424 ...school phone937-233-6431.

I don't see how we can stop Wayne's passing game.They have a better passing attack than Iggy or Walsh.They have one of the best passing games in the State.

I wish that we played them later in the year when our secondary will probably be much improved.Me thinks we will have to put up 38 points to win this game.I hope I'm wrong but the only way I can see us beating Wayne is to come up with some turnovers and turn them into TD's.And returning a punt for a TD wouldn't hurt either.

I think we have one of the best rush defenses in the State! When our secondary comes around I believe we will have a AWESOME defense,one of the best in the State! But right now I don't think our secondary is good enough to stop Wayne's passing game.

Good luck Bulldogs!!

How do we win against HHW? ... My answer is by making good coaching decisions and game day adjustments.

A case in point... last Saturday against Walsh...The Game situation: It's the Fourth Quarter... Mck up 34-28... 2:50 on the clock... Mck ball on the Walsh 32 yard line... 4th &11 yards to go... Time Out Walsh... WHAT SHOULD McK DO???

MY first choice would be to go for the 49 yard Field Goal... a long poke, but our kid can make it... AND, three points puts the game out of reach for Walsh, or

My second choice is to put the ball in our QB's hands to make another miracle play just like so many others this season... Winners want the ball in their hands... Maybe a Hook and Lateral?... a QB rollout option?... we have seen so many big plays in this short season already... or,

My last choice... PUNT the ball???... if the ball goes the full 32 yards, Walsh gets the ball on their 20, and the chains only move 12 yards net difference on the play....Worse yet, If Walsh blocks the punt, Walsh gains the momentum... and you just have to figure that Walsh will send all Eleven men to block it!

Oh, to be a fly on the wall, and listen to the coaches discuss their decision... I say the Risk/Reward ratio leans toward going long for the score, for three or seven points...or, at the very least, to go for the first down!... A tough call... What would any of us do in that coaching position?

I believe that Filtz came up with the best decision... he punts... a perfect short 26 yard punt... ball spotted on the Walsh six yard line... WHAT a PLAY!... I am glad the play worked out so well... I am even happier it was Filtz's call to make, and not mine ... with 2:39 left on the clock, Walsh would now have to go 94 yards to score... We held...victory was ours... I left the stadium breathing a sigh of relief.

In the final analysis, we have an exciting team, and a coach who makes good decisions... I look forward to next Saturday... Maybe we catch HHW napping? This is why we play the game!...Good luck to all...Go Pups...sam (class of 68)

Thanks BigBulldog for putting up the rebroadcast of the HHW vs Winton Woods game on another thread here... After watching this replay, I feel better about our chances to compete against HHW... From what I was reading earlier, I was beginning to think that HHW was some kind of "super" team... maybe even like St Ignatius... NOW, I believe that McKinley has a good chance at winning against HHW... I look forward to this game more and more...in less than 24 Hours, we will know for sure... I am making the three hour drive... Good luck to all...Go Pups... sam (class of 68)

I'm very proud also.And your right,it's great to be a Bulldog.

Hats off to our new DC!! Isn't it great to have him at McKinley!!

Congradulations to all the kids and all the coaches!!

GO BULLDOGSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Bulldogs!...A 17-14 win over Huber Heights Wayne... What a two game beginning to the season... When do we start calling them the KARDIAC KIDS? ... McK has TOO MANY WEAPONS!...these kids just do not quit, but keep coming back.

This win over Huber Heights was a real nail bitter... and remember that HHW was supposed to be one of the best teams in the state... McK also lost one TD (nullified due to a penalty), AND McK also lost the ball on a fumble at McK's own goal line... Once again, the score is too close, but the Pups played above the competition... The momentum was ours... a total team effort... I think maybe it is time for the local hometown paper to re-think who is the best team in stark county.

Now for our "BYE" week... and then N.Canton comes to Fawcett for a Saturday night game (9/15/2012) at 7:00pm... Go Pups!... get the Fawcett TD SIREN ready to blare... Do we have any "cannon sound effects" in the house?...I want to again see and hear THE BAND "ROCK-IN" in the bleacher aisles ...I can't wait to get to the Party at the stadium .. Good luck to all, sam (Class of 68 & Team of 67)

What a game!!! I was very impressed with the way the defense played, they were in the backfield all night. Aside from a couple busted pass plays, its nice to know we can depend on them to keep games close while the offense develops more into the season.
I am very pleased with the coaching staff and I feel confident the Pups will win a whole lot of games this year.

as long as the team gets better each week , we are in good shape ... this win over HHW was big seeing that Walsh Jesuit is now 0-2 afater getting blasted by AK SVSM 49-10 ...

as long as the team gets better each week , we are in good shape ... this win over HHW was big seeing that Walsh Jesuit is now 0-2 afater getting blasted by AK SVSM 49-10 ...

Walsh will win most of their remaining games, so they are also valuable Harbin- wise.

Walsh will win most of their remaining games, so they are also valuable Harbin- wise.

they go to columbus bishop watterson next --they are a state champion ,they play mentor lake catholic as well...walsh will be lucky to go 6-4 this yr

they go to columbus bishop watterson next --they are a state champion ,they play mentor lake catholic as well...walsh will be lucky to go 6-4 this yr

They won't be "lucky" to go 6-4. They should go 6-4 with that schedule. Watterson and Lake Catholic are probably the only ones who will be favored to beat them the rest of this year.

They won't be "lucky" to go 6-4. They should go 6-4 with that schedule. Watterson and Lake Catholic are probably the only ones who will be favored to beat them the rest of this year.
ok so 6-4 ,5-5 at worst for arguments sake ...how does that add up to alot of harbin points for us?? also , what does that say about us so far ?? it meens that we really do not know how good this mck team is yet ...if Wayne gets balsted by Trotwood thsi weekend , we may not know much about thisa team until after the Hoover game a week from now

ok so 6-4 ,5-5 at worst for arguments sake ...how does that add up to alot of harbin points for us?? also , what does that say about us so far ?? it meens that we really do not know how good this mck team is yet ...if Wayne gets balsted by Trotwood thsi weekend , we may not know much about thisa team until after the Hoover game a week from now

We have much better coaching this year. Only a total idiot would dispute that. That is why I don't worry. If we are getting the most out of what we have (and we start 3 sophomores on offense), then that's all that really matters. This offense is a work in progress as those of us with a football acumen had predicted. Our defense is already shaping up as one of the state's toughest.

Those Walsh harbins are probably a lot more than we will get from a couple of our league opponents- they are valuable. What does it say about us? We're undefeated, and scores of games really don't tell the whole story...

Also, you seem to have forgotten that we have just gone all the way down to Wayne, beating a very good team with speed to match ours and refs who tried to give Wayne as much help as they could.

I see that Huber Heights Wayne beat Trotwood Madison 21-14.

Trotwood is the defending D2 State Champions who reurn 9 starters on defense.

They were also ranked #1 in the State in the Yappi poll.

North Canton has now beaten their Week Three Canadian opponent, and will come into Fawcett Stadium at 3-0 to meet McKinley on 9/15/2012... The Vikings should come into this game flying high and looking for revenge after the last couple of years.

IF McKinley cleans up their act (no penalties) and plays sound football (no fumbles in the red zone), then the Vikings should not offer too much competition... Although the Pups have now won their only two games this season, we have only won by a total of Nine points... And, in both cases, the Pups had to come from behind to win ... I would love to see McK jump out to a big lead and hold it for a change... (and give younger players some game experience.)

Looking ahead is a dangerous thing to do, so let's enjoy this season one game at a time... Good luck to all, sam('68)

Coach Forbe's undefeated state championship team only managed to beat a 4-6 Hoover team 9- 0...Hoover is usually coached up, especially against us. I certainly hope we show up focused enough after the not playing last weekend. I'm sure Donnie's kids have practiced halfback passes, flea-flickers and onside kicks for this one...

We have much better coaching this year. Only a total idiot would dispute that. That is why I don't worry. If we are getting the most out of what we have (and we start 3 sophomores on offense), then that's all that really matters. This offense is a work in progress as those of us with a football acumen had predicted. Our defense is already shaping up as one of the state's toughest.

Those Walsh harbins are probably a lot more than we will get from a couple of our league opponents- they are valuable. What does it say about us? We're undefeated, and scores of games really don't tell the whole story...

Also, you seem to have forgotten that we have just gone all the way down to Wayne, beating a very good team with speed to match ours and refs who tried to give Wayne as much help as they could.
i am not disputing that bulldog bob ... i was only talking about the points we will get from Walsh ,who is now 0-3 after getting beat this weekend ... i fully expect Mck to make the playoffs but the harbin points from teams like Walsh could push us into a home game or leave us with a 5the seed or lower which meens going ont eh road week one of playoffs against tougher competition .... right now Walsh is not a very good football team ... this Hoover game is important as it will shoot us up in points ...

Walsh is better than you think and can possibly win out. And your little scenario with Wayne getting blasted by Trotwood didn't quite work out, either (Wayne won). Listen to BulldogBob and you shall learn! Those two teams we beat are good, and will provide a nice bounty of Harbins in the weeks to come.

here is my assesment of the mckinley hoover game: first --as always Mck has alot of talent ...they were easily 2-3 touchdowns better than Hoover --mental mistakes(penalties) kept Hoover in the game .... It is refreshing to see a coaching staff who is together and knows what they are doing as a unit ... the playcalling was pretty good for the most part ... only part that was sketchy was throwing the ball when we were pinned back deep in our own territory ...Gover _Williams is the real deal ..this kid is a great fottball player ...also the RB for Mck is very solid and will get better every game .... If Mckinley can tighten up on all the mental penalties ( illiegal procedure etc...) and communicate better on the defensive side of the ball with respect to thier assignments ... this team can do some things this yr ... congrats coach filtz on 3-0 --now dont sleep on Lake cause they give us problems every time we go to their place ...

Hey HOF, Good game review... Now, go find the "Week Four N.Canton vs Canton McKinley" Yappi Thread, and catch up on the Eight Pages and 200 plus posts where the Hoover game was discussed by the rest of us:)

And, then, when everybody decides where we are going to discuss this week's Lake game, somebody needs to leave a bread crumb trail here for the rest of us to follow ... Good luck to all!

OK, I think I found "the party" ... (there goes the neighborhood)... On the Yappi Thread "McKinley at Lake"... chatting with Lake fans, I see Browns 32, BulldogBob, MckBulldawg1237, etc... All posters are playing nice...17 posts are up already.

I get there by clicking 1.) Yappi Sports - (at the very top of this page)...
2.) "Football" - (Forum for boys HS Sports)... 3.) "McKinley at Lake" - (you may have to go forward to page 2).

I am new at this ...if somebody has an easier way, please share.... I'm guessing, if you just want to speak only to McKinley fans, stay right here on this thread... IF you want to interact with a wider circle of fans from all over the county, than use your mouse to click as noted above...Good luck to all!