Canton McKinley at Mentor (Who's going to wi this one ???)

Canton McKinley at Mentor (Who's going to win this one ???)

• Canton McKinley wins by: 7 points or less

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Canton McKinley wins by: 7 points or more but less then 14 points

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Canton McKinley Senior wins by: 14 points or more

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Mentor wins by: less 7 points

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Mentor wins by: 7 points or more but less then 14 points

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Mentor wins by: 14 points or more

Votes: 46 59.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's why I'm hesitant to put a lot of stock in Week 1. My grandma always said you always throw out the first pancake.

In terms of records, Mentor and McKinley went in completely different directions once September hit. Mentor started off 2-0 with a convincing win over McKinley and the defeat of St Ignatius. Mentor went just 3-6 over their final nine games. McKinley would go on an 8-2 stretch following their 0-2 start.

I disagree that Week 1 was a complete mirage. If Mentor had the same healthy roster in a playoff rematch, they would’ve beaten McKinley in Week 11. It wouldn’t have been as convincing, but I would’ve felt very confident in a second win.
A lot of people ignore Mentor having the most injuries I've seen in the last 20 years or so in a single season. If Mentor didn't sustain all those injuries , they probably finish 8-2 or 7-3 at worst last year . I mean vs Brunswick we had most of our playmakers out and played a 3rd string qb and still had to lose by a miracle Hail Mary.

Just read about the Mentor scrimmage and went to the Bulldogs/St.Iggy affair but I don't predict high school games score.Bulldogs travel well but being the season opener anything can happen,but win or lose will be at home in three weeks to see their improvement from last nites meeting...BAM!

Game week is officially here. I don't think Mentor will be quite as sharp or talented this week as they looked to start last season. McKinley has had a tough time scoring on Mentor's defense in their recent matchups...which says a lot when you look at how the Cardinals defense has performed. Since the two had a brief regular season series in the 90s (dominated by McKinley's state championship era teams), here are the four most recent matchups:

2021: Mentor 49 McKinley 7
2019: Mentor 34 McKinley 13 (regional semifinal)
2018: Mentor 36 McKinley 6 (regional semifinal)
2006: Mentor 18 McKinley 13 (state semifinal)

This game is incredibly important to Mentor. They finished the 2021 season on quite a downer, dropping six of their last nine. They need a win out of the gate against a team they dominated a season ago. A loss at home would be deflating, especially with St Ignatius waiting in the wings. I maintain my prediction that Mentor wins by 14+. But I expect the differential to be a lot closer to 14 than 42 (last year's differential). McKinley should look much sharper than they did a season ago.

I don’t know if we are certain about it airing on 1330AM yet, but it might. I looked online and didn’t see their schedule listed. But the News-Herald will list media when they do the game capsule, which is probably on Wednesday or Thursday.

Here is the info on tickets: https://mentorathletics.com/2022/08/15/mentor-vs-canton-mckinley-football-ticket-information/

Also, parking is going to be a drag because of a conflicting city event nearby as well as some new construction on site.

10 dollars instead of 8. Hilarious. Guess the cost of sitting in the stands has increased 25 percent. Or maybe it's the bs service charges. Another small hit to the consumer

Ticket prices for reserved ($10) and general admission ($7) are the same prices as last year. In 2020, the public couldn’t buy tickets. I don’t remember what the prices were in 2019.

I think it’s silly to not sell any tickets for cash at the main gate. Many schools have gone that route though.

Ticket prices for reserved ($10) and general admission ($7) are the same prices as last year. In 2020, the public couldn’t buy tickets. I don’t remember what the prices were in 2019.

I think it’s silly to not sell any tickets for cash at the main gate. Many schools have gone that route though.
Right. It was just as ridiculous last year. I'm sure it's the fees and them getting covered because the ohsaa is too stupid to build a system where they don't have to rely on third party vendors

I think Mentor wins by 10-17. Sophomore QB and others working their way into starting roles. Think a late score could lead to that margin above too. McKinley will be improved and while I think Mentor can be solid , I don't think they are a region 1 winning contender

If I decide to drive up won't be able to buy ticket at the gate,you all wonder why people quit going to high school games...BAM!

If I decide to drive up won't be able to buy ticket at the gate,you all wonder why people quit going to high school games...BAM!
Yep you'll have to buy online. And pay the stupid fees. It's dumb. Ohsaa should at least have a central site where these third party vendors don't benefit from high school events

Seniors get in for free at Mentor. I'm assuming you are a senior citizen if you can't/won't buy tickets online. Sorry if my assumption was incorrect.

New videoboard at Mentor. Looking forward to seeing that.
I didn’t realize they were putting a new one in until I went to the Chardon scrimmage. It is new and big. The color scheme was odd looking, but it is very possible they were/are still figuring out all of the potential of its use and look. No videos/replay were used yet.

Some of the Mentor fans not really that clever, but they think they are. Here's to a good game tomorrow night. Hope both teams play hard and come out healthy.

Raymo, Hope to see you there:)

Their athletic office told me to go to ANY stadium gate... No ID is mandatory, but some kind of ID card (driver's license) with your birthday "would be nice"... just walk up to the people at the gate and tell them you are a Senior. (In our cases, one look at us and the gates will be swung open before we can say anything:))

Good luck to all! Sam/McK

Very nice weather. Hope to see a big crowd.

Also Mentor cityfest is this weekend right next to the stadium. Parking will be rough. McKinley people should get there early and just get some food at the fair

Also Mentor cityfest is this weekend right next to the stadium. Parking will be rough. McKinley people should get there early and just get some food at the fair
I remember going up to a Massillon Mentor game several years back and they had that festival going on also. Looked pretty cool and like there were a lot of things to do.

How early do you recommend?. First time heading to Mentor's stadium. Go Pups!

How early do you recommend?. First time heading to Mentor's stadium. Go Pups!
I'd try to get there an hour before at 6. Walk some at the fair. Get some food and drinks and avoid the stress

I live in Wadsworth but am parking at a friend's in Mentor about 10-15 minute walk away to avoid the bleep show