Canfield Cardinals Schedule and Outlook for 2023

If coach Campbell saw that game he should remember you. I guarantee all Perry's RBs and QB remember you! :) I would bet their OSU bound OL does too.

Great defensive game plan and execution by the Falcons and you in particular.

Congratulations to your son & his teammates on the state title. Good luck to him in the future.
Thank You YTOWN.

Canfield will play Holy Name and Mansfield yet won't play South Range, it makes no sense to me. Looks like week 7 will be one of a Senate League team (except the Tar Blooders), a Canadien team, an out of state team or a Bye.

Canfield will play Holy Name and Mansfield yet won't play South Range, it makes no sense to me. Looks like week 7 will be one of a Senate League team (except the Tar Blooders), a Canadien team, an out of state team or a Bye.
Isn’t jfk supposed to play south range too? That was 2 games that would have been really good that are now going to be 1 not happening and the other one will be a blowout

Well at least JFK & SR weren't afraid to schedule very good local teams.
Canfield would rather play teams local people don't know about so if they lose they can talk them up

But the reason it makes no sense is that Holy Name was a State Semi-Finalist/Region 10 Champion and Mansfield only lost by 1 or 2 points to Holy Name in the Regional Championship game. These are both two teams that are legitimately very good, and probably just as good if not better than South Range will be this year.

Mansfield Senior's defensive end Elias "LaLa" Owens received his second Division I offer earliet this week, this one from Bowling Green State University. Owens, a 6-5 standout on the Tygers' 16-7 basketball team that is still in the tournament, also holds an offer from Eastern Michigan University.

Offensive lineman Ahmaan Thomas has offers from Marshall Unviersity and Kent State.

But the reason it makes no sense is that Holy Name was a State Semi-Finalist/Region 10 Champion and Mansfield only lost by 1 or 2 points to Holy Name in the Regional Championship game. These are both two teams that are legitimately very good, and probably just as good if not better than South Range will be this year.
One game would have a lot of fans and one game wouldn’t

LB/RB Danny Inglis Committed To Iowa State.

Congratulations & good luck to young Mr. Inglis.

I can think of at least four other area guys that played for the Cyclones but it has been some time since a local kid played there. In the back of my mind I'm thinking there was somebody at ISU more recently than the last name I can come up with but Dave Pittman of Struthers is the last local Cyclone that I can think of. Somewhere in the dim recesses though I keep thinking there has been somebody else local since Mr. Pittman was there but I can't seem to come up with a name.

Broc Lowry had an offer from Iowa State before ultimately committing to Indiana. I wonder if Iowa State noticed Danny because of Broc?

Congratulations & good luck to young Mr. Inglis.

I can think of at least four other area guys that played for the Cyclones but it has been some time since a local kid played there. In the back of my mind I'm thinking there was somebody at ISU more recently than the last name I can come up with but Dave Pittman of Struthers is the last local Cyclone that I can think of. Somewhere in the dim recesses though I keep thinking there has been somebody else local since Mr. Pittman was there but I can't seem to come up with a name.
I don't have the memory like you so I'm not any help!! Cam Smith from Fitch enrolled early and is there now.

Last edited:
Danny is a really good player and will do well for the Cyclones. As for the connection you’d have to assume Jon Heacock being the D-coordinator there has to help with his connection to players in the Mahoning valley.

Mansfield Senior's defensive end Elias "LaLa" Owens received his second Division I offer earliet this week, this one from Bowling Green State University. Owens, a 6-5 standout on the Tygers' 16-7 basketball team that is still in the tournament, also holds an offer from Eastern Michigan University.

Offensive lineman Ahmaan Thomas has offers from Marshall Unviersity and Kent State.
Elias Owens picked up two more offers last week--Minnesota and Pitt.

I don't have the memory like you so I'm not any help!! Cam Smith from Fitch enrolled early and is there now.

I heard that Mr. Smith had the offer. I did not know that he was already enrolled. Thanks for the update.

Canfield football workouts began yesterday. Here's some notes:

QB's (While the WKBN preseason article said a 3 way battle, you can probably mark one down in heavy pencil)
RB's (Good shape. Top 2 returning)
WR's (Not sure if there is a ton of speed, but some real length compared to last year)
TE's (One up and coming, let's see where he lands)
OL (2 returning anchors and 3 question marks)
DL (Solid front, but a number of 2 way players, will need depth to come from somewhere)
LB's (One solid and some question marks)
DB's (Even after losing Lowry, could possibly be a strength, some real speed and toughness back there)

Overall depth as stated by a few folks will be an ongoing theme. There are some really good individual players at each level on both sides of the ball. There are 5 players currently with college offers. 2 of them with D1 offers and one D1 commit. 1st scrimmage at Salem in 4 weeks.

I find it odd that Canfield and Steubenville have never played. I think it is a very natural potential rivalry.
I don't
At one point in the early 2000s, Canfield's AD talked to Steubenville's AD, and Canfield told Steubenville they would be open to playing them. However, Steubenville's AD wanted a 1 or 3 year the contract, with either 1 game in Steubenville for the 1 year or the first and last game in Steubenville for a 3 year series. Canfield's AD said no thanks, and there has been no desire to schedule them since on account of this.

I don't
At one point in the early 2000s, Canfield's AD talked to Steubenville's AD, and Canfield told Steubenville they would be open to playing them. However, Steubenville's AD wanted a 1 or 3 year the contract, with either 1 game in Steubenville for the 1 year or the first and last game in Steubenville for a 3 year series. Canfield's AD said no thanks, and there has been no desire to schedule them since on account of this.
If Canfield played Steubenville, New Philly, Dover, Poland, Howland, Boardman and Louisville, it wouldn't matter who they picked for the other 3 games the schedule would be good.

If Canfield played Steubenville, New Philly, Dover, Poland, Howland, Boardman and Louisville, it wouldn't matter who they picked for the other 3 games the schedule would be good.
I am not sure if I follow what you are saying. What do you mean by the other 3 games?
Canfield would have no problem playing everyone you mentioned but Steubenville. Because Steubenville was always very unreasonable in the past.

In my opinion, with Canfield, Steubenville, Louisville, and Dover all being effectively independent- they should all play each other every year until other league obligations come up.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I follow what you are saying. What do you mean by the other 3 games?
Canfield would have no problem playing everyone you mentioned but Steubenville. Because Steubenville was always very unreasonable in the past.
Steubenville has been playing NP and Dover in home and home series in recent years. What I am saying is Canfield schedules those 7 games every year the other 3 games on the schedule could be whatever they want because no one can say anything about Canfield with those 7 games on the schedule. The fans would enjoy all 7 of those games every year. You throw in Chaney, Lake, Alliance or West Branch and that would be one the best 10 game football schedules in the area.

@Fumblerooski @Red-Lep I don't forsee Canfield scheduling Big Red anytime soon. The last I heard is due to Steubenville being extremely unreasonable in the past, they either have no interest in playing them or would only do so under Canfield's terms which Steubenville won't agree to...

@Fumblerooski @Red-Lep I don't forsee Canfield scheduling Big Red anytime soon. The last I heard is due to Steubenville being extremely unreasonable in the past, they either have no interest in playing them or would only do so under Canfield's terms which Steubenville won't agree to...
We play Mooney and Ursuline home and home, we’ve played boardman home, we’ve played Massillon home and home and others. Unreasonable? Naw, I don’t think so. Maybe the fact that The Big Red would smoke Canfield every 9 of 10 games was a deciding factor for both AD’s.

We play Mooney and Ursuline home and home, we’ve played boardman home, we’ve played Massillon home and home and others. Unreasonable? Naw, I don’t think so. Maybe the fact that The Big Red would smoke Canfield every 9 of 10 games was a deciding factor for both AD’s.
No at the time Steubenville's AD refused to play a home and home with Canfield, and they had yet to play Mooney, Ursuline, or Boardman. Because Steubenville pissed off Canfield, they effectively told them that they would only play them in a one or three year contract biased in favor of Canfield, the exact opposite of what Steubenville expected Canfield to agree to in the early 2000s. Also, had they played the paticular year Canfield was asking about, Steubenville would have lost, as Canfield was the best team in the state in D-II that year and went 14-1. Drew Pasteur and Cal Preps had Canfield ranked in the bottom half of the top 10 irrespective of division in the state of Ohio. Drew and Cal Preps both had Steubenville ranked somewhere around 40th, but as the #1 team in D-III. The particular years Canfield inquired about scheduling them was a 3 year period where Canfield would have actually beat Steubenville, so it was actually the opposite of what you suggested. And each of the 3 years Steubenville ended up with 8 home games.