Canfield Cardinals Schedule and Outlook for 2023

There is a very reasonable explanation for Coach Pavlansky's comment. He was confused, as he was trying to figure out how his QB, FB and the other RB combined to lose 230 yards (not including sacks.) Because he was in such a state of confusion, he truly believed that his offensive line and receivers did a fine job and completely missed the fact that it was sheer luck that his offense gained that much yardage passing the ball.

@YTOWN
So question: do you think he would have said we just chucked the ball up everytime and hoped for the best?

What I think is irrelevant. You asked if anybody had the article, I merely provided it. I didn't see the game and I didn't write the article. I didn't post an opinion about it or about your take on the game. The article is what it is, and it says what it says. :) I'll let others judge the validity of the article or what Pav really meant by his quote.

So, I checked the archive of Canfield's all-time stats and here is what I got
Most Passing Attempts Jamie McNally 37 vs Fitch (This differs from what you had which was 36)
Most Passes Completed Jamie McNally 20 vs Fitch
Most Passing Yards Jamie McNally 426 vs Fitch
Most TD Catches Steve Routh 3, 1974 and Jordan Ferns 3 vs Fitch
Most Receiving Yards Jordan Ferns 287 vs Fitch
Most Receptions Tim Buchanan 9, 1975 and Jordan Ferns 9 vs Fitch
Most Times Sacked in one game Jamie McNally 10 vs Fitch
Least Rushing Yards in a game (Team) -177 vs Fitch (presumably sack yards counts as rushing yards in high school?)
Most Rushing Yards Allowed (Team) 339 vs Fitch
Most Rushing TDs Allowed (Individual) Chine 5 vs Fitch

Most Passing Attempts Jamie McNally 37 vs Fitch (This differs from what you had which was 36)
Least Rushing Yards in a game (Team) -177 vs Fitch (presumably sack yards counts as rushing yards in high school?)
Most Rushing TDs Allowed (Individual) Chine 5 vs Fitch
Link?

The website the stats are from doesn't exist anymore; these stats are technically only as of the completion of the 2008 season (so it is possible some of the records have since been broken) after which the website ceased to exist, but I tried to keep record of most of the information when I was informed the site was not going to be around any longer, many of the stats were compiled by former coach Tony Ross, as well as from the efforts of other former coaches, players, and old yearbooks. All that remains is whatever I saved on my computer, this is where I get a lot of my information from all-time series and if Canfield ever played anyone previously or when they last played.
1672952243547.png

1672952336886.png

Sorry there is 0 chance a running back had 80 yards rushing, a QB had an 11 yard rushing td, the team scored 40 points, and Canfield as a team had -177 yards rushing. THAT would be the most incredible, unbelievable stat line in football history and certainly would have been a huge part of the story

Just look at the facts: The RB had 15 rushes for 80 yards, the QB had 36 or 37 pass attempts, plus one rush attempt that we know of that was positive 11 yards, so that is 52 or 53 plays we KNOW that Canfield had positive 91 yards rushing. There just simply isn't enough plays to lose 268 yards rushing, every other play ran would have needed to be a 25-30 yard loss at minimum. Come on, everyone can use common sense and realize that the claim they were in the negative hundreds of yards rushing is a complete fabrication. Canfield almost certainly had positive yards rushing that game.

Last edited:
I have a book detailing with history of struthers football going back to 100 years and these stats are nowhere. Lol
Incidentally some of the stats were compiled at my request in exchange for the work I did getting a bunch of scores/results from the yearbooks before the library got rid of them all. I am pretty sure had I not asked for some of these more obscure stats no one would have bothered to compile or search for quite a few of them. For some of the stats former coaches were asked questions so they could narrow things down a bit, however I am pretty sure these stats do not go back to the first year of 11-man football, they may be "modern records/statistics" as I did not notice any records that go back any further than the 60's.

Most Rushing TDs Allowed (Individual) Chine 5 vs Fitch.

congrats on the find @simkon ! I can see the ESPN ticker already.

“Former Steubenville resident and easement expert discovers 20 year old floppy disk in mothers basement proving Ohio Football team shatters all-time NFHS,NCAA, and NFL record for fewest rushing yards in a single game…..despite scoring 40 points and having a tailback rush for positive 80 yards.“

Note the many obscure records and statistics kept by some random high school I just happened upon when trying to see what the record may be for least passing and rushing yards in a high school game.
Screenshot_20230105_225603_Samsung Internet.jpg

Post all the serious things you want. Stats, whatever. Fancy graphics.

You play Massillon and I'll bring ribs. Charlie Staples can stuff it - he can't make ribs like me.

@kingpin2010
I spoke to one of the players for Canfield who played in this game, and something that he mentioned is that Chris (the HB) did not actually have 80 yards rushing the paper made a mistake when totaling his yards, he only had a few rushes for positive yards, and the rest were for a loss. The rushes he had for a loss must have been mistakenly added as not for a loss but for a gain.

Chris had a total of around 0 net yards, Jamie got sacked 10 times, the FB had a couple rushes for a loss, and the other HB had a couple of rushes for a loss, and they ran 2 trick plays for a loss (reverse and double reverse) one by Tom Rogers for a 20 yard loss. So in total there were 37 passes including spikes, 15 rushes by the primary HB, 11 rushes by the QB (10 were sacks), a few rushes by the other HB, a few rushes by the FB, and 2 rushes on trick plays. For a total of 70 plays from scrimmage roughly.

@kingpin2010
I spoke to one of the players for Canfield who played in this game, and something that he mentioned is that Chris (the HB) did not actually have 80 yards rushing the paper made a mistake when totaling his yards, he only had a few rushes for positive yards, and the rest were for a loss. The rushes he had for a loss must have been mistakenly added as not for a loss but for a gain.
Nobody, and I mean nobody, believes you. Not only are you claiming the most ridiculous, unbelievable statline in football history, now you are claiming that the paper was outright wrong and that Pav was lying in his comments. Just stop, admit you were making up BS and were called out.

Absolutely two great respected head coaches and the AD’s didn’t ask for the coaches approval is complete hogwash, can’t believe anyone anyone would think that is real
Agree 100%. Especially it being Pav and Yeagley. Maybe if it was two coaches that were new, maybe.

Under no circumstances, will Mooney ever be in the NE8 lol
Being just a country boy (I played in the ICL era) I know I don't know or understand all the intrique your programs may have dealt with in the past where Mooney is involved. But now they're just a mid level Div.5 program & the longer they are, the less likely they'll be able to "poach" talent from other area programs. If they continue to fall into Div.6, not many college scouts buy tickets to those games, so the hook they've used in the past to "move" kids will disappear. Not too far fetched to think studs will choose to stay in their home districts if those programs are successful. J.M.H.O.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is they should play. Coaches knowing - ok asked. But ultimately the AD'S job is to get 10 games. If the coaches don't like it tuff s*** the schedule is full.
2 great local programs should play.
Both of these schools are going to have tough time filling any open dates, so play
BALL UP

So would you say the line did a good job if they protected him adequately for 37 of 47 times he droppped back? That is still pretty good considering. So to say Pav was lying isn't really accurate. The protection was good enough for Jamie and Jordan to break every record in the books for passing and receiving, so despite the sacks, I think the line still did really well considering. As an aside Jamie just got married last year, but I will see if I can't find something more concrete on what happened in that game, such as doing a video interview with a participant or other relevant person.

As far as Canfield trying to back out, I guess we will find out soon enough...

An important thing to point out is that Austintown vs Boardman is a HUGE RIVALRY. So therefore the games are much different than other games on the schedule. A perfect example is Ursuline vs Mooney. Rivalry games are always closer fought with the talent discrepancies not nearly as defined and that one week only the teams play above or below their fighting weight almost always.
Canfield-Fitch would be a big rivalry too if they played annually. Kids have played eachother in every other sport their entire lives. Austintown’s closer to canfield than Poland