Canfield Cardinals Schedule and Outlook for 2023

No, I wasn't talking about this year, or last year. I meant in years past. I don't believe Canfield wanted no part of WGH, a few years back. I'm sure Harding would have gladly played Canfield in certain years
To be perfectly honest Canfield probably would be willing to play them when WGH was down and Canfield was up and Harding would play Canfield if it was reversed.

Top 15 teams in D-II this year according to Drew Pasteur, note Fitch and Olmsted Falls are #11 & #12...
1. Archbishop Hoban (14-2 D2 R5)
2. Central Catholic (15-1 D2 R6)
3. Massillon (12-2 D2 R7)
4. Avon (12-2 D2 R6)
5. Winton Woods (12-1 D2 R8)
6. Kings (13-2 D2 R8)
7. Riverside (11-2 D2 R5)
8. Hudson (13-1 D2 R5)
9. Highland (12-1 D2 R6)
10. Walsh Jesuit (9-3 D2 R5)
11. Fitch (10-2 D2 R5)
12. Olmsted Falls (10-3 D2 R6)
13. St Vincent-St Mary (8-4 D2 R5)
14. Lake (12-2 D2 R7)
15. Avon Lake (9-3 D2 R6)
Idc about these. I care about what my eyeballs tell me

To be perfectly honest Canfield probably would be willing to play them when WGH was down and Canfield was up and Harding would play Canfield if it was reversed.
Yes, that is kind of my point. Yes when WGH, is 2-8, you might want to play them, but Canfield wouldn't have got hardly any points, even with a win. In years past , Harding would have no problem signing up to play a 7-3 Canfield team, and they still would get good points with that win

Basically though it would never be beneficial for Canfield to play Harding because as the other poster explained. If Canfield beats Harding chances are with their schedule they are 2-8 or something like that. However a good Harding team will beat a good Canfield team that is 7-3 and gives them tons of Harbin points.

Correct me if I'm wrong, did Canfield have 28 seniors on this year's championship team? I heard that a while back...

Canfield did have 28 seniors I believe maybe even 30. However they played a ton of juniors. The soph class isn’t very big or full of athletes, Delucia contributed a lot and towards then of the season Tyler Scharrer did too. I still expect the cards to win majority of their games and win a few playoff games in ‘23. 2024 may be somewhat of a rebuild, the current frosh class is small but talented at certain positions, the 8th grade class is loaded and so is 7th grade. I would be willing to bet after ‘24 you will see the cards right back where they’ve been the past 5 yrs in regional finals and making runs for state championships. They’re one of the best public non/open enrollment teams in the state and will continue to be.
As for the Fitch-Olmsted Falls argument they’re comparable, going by the eye test Fitch has way more dudes and I think they’d beat Olmsted Falls but not kill them, both teams are pretty good but neither team is Hoban or Massillon.

Last edited:
The last 2 years would have been, going forward it could be lopsided
SR graduated a big senior class but the cupboard isn't bare. Same could be said about Canfield. D3 vs D5 isn't that big of a discrepancy especially at a high level DV school. With 16 teams making the playoffs, why not?

Yeah, Canfield would generally win. But, look, they play Poland (and are playing them again). Is there a better program in the NE8 than South Range? So, if they're gonna play an NE8 team, SR makes as much sense as anyone. They'll always be "solid" points for Canfield and SR will rarely need to win to make the playoffs, and if they do then they're not very good to begin with.

The last two years would have been great.

I think SR will be good again (I think they really like their soph class), but not anywhere near as good and very different on offense.

Yeah, Canfield would generally win. But, look, they play Poland (and are playing them again). Is there a better program in the NE8 than South Range? So, if they're gonna play an NE8 team, SR makes as much sense as anyone. They'll always be "solid" points for Canfield and SR will rarely need to win to make the playoffs, and if they do then they're not very good to begin with.

The last two years would have been great.

I think SR will be good again (I think they really like their soph class), but not anywhere near as good and very different on offense.
They play Poland because of the rivalry. What’s SR ooc next year? They’ll have to grow up fast im sure they will and be competitive

If Canfield is not going to be that good for the next 2 years then maybe South Range should consider a tougher opponent. I would love to see 2 NE8 teams beat the cards

If Canfield is not going to be that good for the next 2 years then maybe South Range should consider a tougher opponent. I would love to see 2 NE8 teams beat the cards
I am a bit confused by your post, I don't really get what you are saying...I don't think Canfield will contend for a state championship, however they still most likely would not lose to Poland, and only South Range actually would have a good chance to win.

I am a bit confused by your post, I don't really get what you are saying...I don't think Canfield will contend for a state championship, however they still most likely would not lose to Poland, and only South Range actually would have a good chance to win.
Yeah, I agree. Poland isn’t beating Canfield anytime soon.

It looks to me like 2023 is the last time Canfield and West Branch are scheduled to play, as their two-year home-and-home contract expires. The season-opening game between the Cardinals and Warriors was a great one last fall and should be again in 2023, with Canfield returning a bunch of talented juniors and West Branch returning 4,000 yards of offense. According to the OHSAA site, West Branch has picked up the Hubbard Eagles for its season opener in 2024. The game will be at Clinton Heacock Stadium in Beloit.

It looks to me like 2023 is the last time Canfield and West Branch are scheduled to play, as their two-year home-and-home contract expires. The season-opening game between the Cardinals and Warriors was a great one last fall and should be again in 2023, with Canfield returning a bunch of talented juniors and West Branch returning 4,000 yards of offense. According to the OHSAA site, West Branch has picked up the Hubbard Eagles for its season opener in 2024. The game will be at Clinton Heacock Stadium in Beloit.
As a Hubbard fan that's great to hear!

NE8 vs. EBC should have annual scheduled games for all the teams to have on their schedules, at least 2 games each. Add Canfield, Howland, Canton South, Louisville and Northwest, I cannot see how any D3 or D4 team in Stark or Mahoning Valley needs to worry about a schedule

NE8 vs. EBC should have annual scheduled games for all the teams to have on their schedules, at least 2 games each. Add Canfield, Howland, Canton South, Louisville and Northwest, I cannot see how any D3 or D4 team in Stark or Mahoning Valley needs to worry about a schedule
I know West Branch is playing Girard the next two years and adds Hubbard in 2024.

@Toledotyger
I don't think Canfield South Range (D-V) is interested in playing Mansfield.
And Canfield needs home games, they will probably only have a 9 game schedule again this year, and only had 4 home games last year (including against a Canadien team who brought no fans). So they will definitely want there last 2 games to be at home.

I know the NE8 schools didn't want Canfield in the league but I see it a good thing to schedule them in the OOC games. It would be a good for the kids to play at least 1 bigger school on the schedule. Are there any openings that could still match up for Canfield?