Can February 22 get here fast enough?

psycho_dad

My biological clock is trashed. My biorhythms are so off it's not funny. 23, 28, 33...
I don't know what grade anyone is anymore. How different will practices be?

Had an indoor season last year. We do very little with indoor. Can't go to meets anyway. Hand full of kids with minimum coaching.

I have seen no word on the state indoor meet. We pulled out of all indoor meets this season. I have mixed feelings, but some of the results I'm looking at look very crowded. I'm curious how they are maintaining safety in these situations.

We don't do much if any with indoor. I am ready for the season to start too. Hopefully we get guidance soon as to how meets will need to be set up. I had an invite canceled for the season(non-Covid reasons) and want to know if I can put a meet together.

How has everyone done this past week with Track practice?
We start tomorrow. We were not allowed to start till basketball finished.

We had a really good week. Last year I was worried about how we would share gyms and weight room etc, but that forced me to be prepared. How would we make the extra two weeks productive. This year I was even more worried, but we have been outside, well organized and the kids have been very good about it. Some upsetting things like out of season sports being allowed to use the weight room and limiting in season sports. I could be much more effective if I could rotate kids through the facility from the start of practice through the end, but I'm not fighting the battle because I'll say something I shouldn't.

I have to take actual attendance which I have not in the past. That does not allow me to watch warm up as well as I should. We have the kids in 3 groups for the boys and 3 for the girls. Distance kids always properly warm up, so it's really just 400 down that I might not be doing things 100% how I would like, but it seems like they are doing fine.

We ended up having the track available Thursday and Friday. We got a good weeks worth of work in and really didn't have any issues. Explained to the kids how it was going to work and they have been good with it and not had any issues. We can't use locker rooms and that has not been an issue. Kids are on time and ready to go even though they aren't at the school each day for classes. I have had more issues in past years than this year.

Last year we posted work outs for the kids from when we stopped practice until they officially cancelled the season. Distance kids would have been fine if we had started the season up, but posting workouts for our sprinters was a waste of time. We would not have been well prepared if the season had resumed. I'm sure we would have been ok, but they were not working out.

We have great numbers out. Might be as large a boys team as we have ever had. However, some key kids have not come out and we do not have hurdlers like we have in the past as a result. A strong area for us for years and now we have a lot of work.

Overall, the kids make it work. Have to give them all the credit for making things normal.

We had a really good week. Last year I was worried about how we would share gyms and weight room etc, but that forced me to be prepared. How would we make the extra two weeks productive. This year I was even more worried, but we have been outside, well organized and the kids have been very good about it. Some upsetting things like out of season sports being allowed to use the weight room and limiting in season sports. I could be much more effective if I could rotate kids through the facility from the start of practice through the end, but I'm not fighting the battle because I'll say something I shouldn't.

I have to take actual attendance which I have not in the past. That does not allow me to watch warm up as well as I should. We have the kids in 3 groups for the boys and 3 for the girls. Distance kids always properly warm up, so it's really just 400 down that I might not be doing things 100% how I would like, but it seems like they are doing fine.

We ended up having the track available Thursday and Friday. We got a good weeks worth of work in and really didn't have any issues. Explained to the kids how it was going to work and they have been good with it and not had any issues. We can't use locker rooms and that has not been an issue. Kids are on time and ready to go even though they aren't at the school each day for classes. I have had more issues in past years than this year.

Last year we posted work outs for the kids from when we stopped practice until they officially cancelled the season. Distance kids would have been fine if we had started the season up, but posting workouts for our sprinters was a waste of time. We would not have been well prepared if the season had resumed. I'm sure we would have been ok, but they were not working out.

We have great numbers out. Might be as large a boys team as we have ever had. However, some key kids have not come out and we do not have hurdlers like we have in the past as a result. A strong area for us for years and now we have a lot of work.

Overall, the kids make it work. Have to give them all the credit for making things normal.
How challenging is it for you guys, after having missed an entire season? For us, the majority of our talent has graduated last spring. And not having an actual season means that we really don't have anybody prepared to replace them. Just lots and lots of new faces, and figuring things out for us. I have a lot of faith in our head coach though; he has proven himself very capable. But he/we have our work cut out for us.

Last edited:
How challenging is it for you guys, after having missed an entire season? For us, the majority of our talent has graduated last spring. And not having an actual season means that we really don't have anybody prepared to replace them. Just lots and lots of new faces, and figuring things out for us. I have a lot of faith in our head coach though; he has proven himself very capable. But he/we have our work cut out for us.
Same boat here for our girls team. Boys team is light on numbers but more experienced in some events.

We always graduate talent and last year was one of our best classes in some time. Having such a solid distance / middle distance group helps a lot. I still can't keep straight what class the kids are in. We bring in what looks to be a very good freshman class. No idea, but they look good so far. It's like any other year. You only see the kids that are there in front of you. Leadership is always my concern and we look good there so far. Not much different except that we have no preconceived ideas where to slot a lot of the kids. That might be a good thing. First month is just getting through work outs and then we will see where we are. It's running, jumping and throwing. I feel pretty good that we have kids that can do those things.

Interesting that we lost one season last year, but it seems like more. Our seniors were sophomores the last time they competed. For the boys, we typically rely on mostly Juniors and Seniors. They were Freshman and Sophs the last time they competed. The freshman and sophomores now are like one big freshman class. It's just odd how we rely on the progression. We always have hurdlers. I have one with any experience at all. Looks like it will take half the season to really know where we are at. Luckily we get a lot of kids involved in dual meets, so they have some experience, but other than the distance crew and a thrower, when we start looking at what we have, it's odd that I'm not as sure about who I might want leading off relays or anchoring. Very little experience from our team overall except for distance of course.

I tend to agree with psychodad, that we are approaching this as coaching the kids who are there. And that it's a little weird not knowing who we will really have for relays and in some of the field events. We graduated a big class and have had several returning varsity sprinters decide not to run this spring. On the girls side we graduated five varsity throwers, two over five foot high jumpers and a consistent 12 foot vaulter. Plus three returning varsity sprinters who decided not to run. On the boys side we graduated several throwers, plus five of our top six sprinters, with the other one deciding not to run. We have a pretty good idea where we stand distance wise, because of cross country season. But the majority of our varsity distance runners are freshmen, sophomores or juniors who have not had a season of track for us in the past. We have three returning hurdlers, and only one boy and one girl who have run both the short and long hurdle races.

On the other hand, the lack of expectations is kind of refreshing. It means we really are not setting lower or upper bounds on what we think should happen.