Campbell Memorial Red Devils looking for a new Head Coach...WOW!

Where did Coach King graduate from(both high school & college)? How old is he? Is he a teacher(where)? What other experience does he have outside of coaching at Poland? Does he have a coaching staff in place? Who? Just some questions to know who Coach King is being it's sounds like not to many people know much about him.

Where did Coach King graduate from(both high school & college)? How old is he? Is he a teacher(where)? What other experience does he have outside of coaching at Poland? Does he have a coaching staff in place? Who? Just some questions to know who Coach King is being it's sounds like not to many people know much about him.
He said he’s been reaching out to people putting a staff together.

I did find out that he graduated from Poland, and teaches in the Boardman School District. I also heard that he a good character individual. I hope he puts together a established staff together. That will be important in his first year.

This league is going to be good...hard to imagine a lot of victories here unless NF continues to be awful and Champion seems to be moving that direction. Liberty, Garfield, and Labrae should be good and Crestview/Brookfield seem to always reload. Won’t get buy in from kids being 2-8 or 3-7...that won’t work in that community...lots of pressure to get kids ready this summer to win early or I can see this getting ugly.

Let me get this right. They hire an Assistant, possible Head Freshman Coach to lead a program that teaches at Boardman. Will he be in the building as a teacher or will he stay in his current position? From the previous posts, he has to assemble a staff which is difficult to accomplish if he is a younger coach with limited contacts. In my opinion, this looks like a poor hire. There were other qualified coaches that could commit to the program 100% and had the contacts to assemble a strong staff. When will these administrators get the message...........the Head Coach is the CEO of the program. The person must be experienced in the game (varsity games, not freshmen games) and in life. Lastly, whatever happened to paying dues before getting a Head Coaching job.

On WYTV 33 they stated he has 14 years of coaching experience from Poland and Campbell. With the last two years as the "OC" for the Bulldogs. If he runs the "three yards and a cloud of dust" offense" he will bore them. Moreover, they have the skill position to spread it out and use the entire field. The real question is...will he adjust to what Campbell has, or will he force them to do the "play in the Box" formation. We will see...

Let me get this right. They hire an Assistant, possible Head Freshman Coach to lead a program that teaches at Boardman. Will he be in the building as a teacher or will he stay in his current position? From the previous posts, he has to assemble a staff which is difficult to accomplish if he is a younger coach with limited contacts. In my opinion, this looks like a poor hire. There were other qualified coaches that could commit to the program 100% and had the contacts to assemble a strong staff. When will these administrators get the message...........the Head Coach is the CEO of the program. The person must be experienced in the game (varsity games, not freshmen games) and in life. Lastly, whatever happened to paying dues before getting a Head Coaching job.
Sikora left because the incompetence of the administration. So this isn’t surprising.

This league is going to be good...hard to imagine a lot of victories here unless NF continues to be awful and Champion seems to be moving that direction. Liberty, Garfield, and Labrae should be good and Crestview/Brookfield seem to always reload. Won’t get buy in from kids being 2-8 or 3-7...that won’t work in that community...lots of pressure to get kids ready this summer to win early or I can see this getting ugly.
Why would liberty be good? They won 1 game last year with a coach who has won before. Now they have a new coach

You say that like a new coach wouldn’t be an upgrade...and they have all their talent back. If they actually practice this year they will be decent
Kids need to buy into the system, or the new coach is screwed. Coach King isn't in "Kansas" anymore. I see 2-8 this season.

Kids need to buy into the system, or the new coach is screwed. Coach King isn't in "Kansas" anymore. I see 2-8 this season.
It also helps that you had that type of offensive line that he had at Poland when he was "OC". It will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I wish my Red Devils good luck this season.

Being an assistant at Poland, I am sure Coach King is aware of the situation he was getting himself into by going over to Campbell Memorial. He was not born yesterday. Campbell is an inner city, land-locked, closed enrollment district. The high school has not fielded a 9th grade football team in several years due to lack of numbers for one reason or another. As a result of that, the freshmen that do come out for football are added to the varsity roster. Numbers are down on the varsity too, which results in some of those freshmen getting playing time at the varsity level too soon. I believe total players out for last season was 32, including 9 or 10 freshmen. Campbell has tried to get a jayvee team playing on a weekly basis. But for the same reason.......a lack of numbers, injuries, and a risk of further injuries would limit things the varsity can do at practices, only a few jayvee games have been played. I believe by the end of last season total kids dressing for varsity was 25. The demographics of the city have changed drastically over the years since the steel mills were shut down. Many younger families have moved to the suburbs. Many properties are rentals which means those moving in are not Campbell raised. So those people do not know the history of the football program. Community support has also diminished. It's a tough situation at Campbell. It's a program that's been stuck in the mud for years. The upside is there is always talent at the lower levels. And the football stadium is among the best in Ohio for a smaller school. But unless something changes in the coming years and the district switches to open enrollment and a change of culture where kids buy in, stay put instead of transferring out, I can only see more struggles, no matter who the head coach is.

Last edited:
I'm hearing that he is having a hard time putting a staff together. During his interview he claimed that he had a staff in place and that he was brining over Vivo and Hulea. And the Committee believed it! Tough times in Campbell. Good Luck!

I heard through the grapevine (so take it with a huge grain of salt) that they offered him a teaching position but he turned it down. If that is true that IMO is a huge mistake. A school like Campbell could benefit a great deal from having their head coach in the building. If I were that district I wouldn't hire anyone who wasn't going to teach in the district.

I heard through the grapevine (so take it with a huge grain of salt) that they offered him a teaching position but he turned it down. If that is true that IMO is a huge mistake. A school like Campbell could benefit a great deal from having their head coach in the building. If I were that district I wouldn't hire anyone who wasn't going to teach in the district.
Have no clue, but it could have to do with years teaching and what step Campbell was willing to bring him in at. In some circumstances coaches won’t take jobs because of a huge cut in pay. But I do agree in most cases the head coach should be in the system

Have no clue, but it could have to do with years teaching and what step Campbell was willing to bring him in at. In some circumstances coaches won’t take jobs because of a huge cut in pay. But I do agree in most cases the head coach should be in the system
If you want the coach in the building pay him. If I am hiring a person in any other field except education I pay him his worth.

He is 32 according to the article...how many years could he have...8? 9? No reason not to give him those years if they in fact offered him a job...no inside info but I bet he just wanted to stay in boardman