Campbell Memorial Red Devils looking for a new Head Coach...WOW!

I think he's hoping to use Campbell as a "stepping stone" to better opportunities in the future. If he succeeds at Campbell, it will make his resume look damn good.

C
He is 32 according to the article...how many years could he have...8? 9? No reason not to give him those years if they in fact offered him a job...no inside info but I bet he just wanted to stay in boardman
Like I said no idea, but sometimes it comes down to a union issue. I do know some school systems will only start you at 5 years of service time

It's a very tough situation at Campbell. About all that's good about things at this point are the facilities, if indeed great facilities should be a factor at all. Good facilities do not build good programs. If King is not in the high school building during the school year it will be even tougher. And, I am not sure how much continuity there is between the lower levels, i.e. the Little Red Devils, the middle school program (7th and 8th grade teams), and the varsity. Over the past several seasons numbers have been so down that a freshman team could not be fielded. Most jayvee games have had to be cancelled due to lack of players and injuries. Community support has been in the toilet for years. Campbell is a closed enrollment school system. There is not much for a Campbell football fan to be very hopeful about these days. And the conference has just gotten tougher with the addition of Garrettsville Garfield. I see another long season ahead for the Devils.

Last edited:
It's a very tough situation at Campbell. About all that's good about things at this point are the facilities, if indeed great facilities should be a factor at all. Good facilities do not build good programs. If King is not in the high school building during the school year it will be even tougher. And, I am not sure how much continuity there is between the lower levels, i.e. the Little Red Devils, the middle school program (7th and 8th grade teams), and the varsity. Over the past several seasons numbers have been so down that a freshman team could not be fielded. Most jayvee games have had to be cancelled due to lack of players and injuries. Community support has been in the toilet for years. Campbell is a closed enrollment school system. There is not much for a Campbell football fan to be very hopeful about these days. And the conference has just gotten tougher with the addition of Garrettsville Garfield. I see another long season ahead for the Devils.
More and more schools just have the freshmen play with the Jv team so that’s everywhere not just Campbell. The little Red Devils have had numbers but last year were cancelled because covid while other schools still played.

More and more schools just have the freshmen play with the Jv team so that’s everywhere not just Campbell. The little Red Devils have had numbers but last year were cancelled because covid while other schools still played.

I was not referring to the Little Red Devils when it came to numbers. Regarding freshmen playing with the jayvee team..... that is true only because it's necessary on a team with low numbers. There isn't much choice. But Campbell has had freshmen starting on the varsity for the past few years. Those kids are not ready for that kind of step up.

I was not referring to the Little Red Devils when it came to numbers. Regarding freshmen playing with the jayvee team..... that is true only because it's necessary on a team with low numbers. There isn't much choice. But Campbell has had freshmen starting on the varsity for the past few years. Those kids are not ready for that kind of step up.
Seems like a lot of schools in that conference have had freshmen starting for them in recent years. I think the situation you are describing happens with most of schools in that conference and if teams play jv games there are an awful lot of kids playing on both Friday and Saturday.

Seems like a lot of schools in that conference have had freshmen starting for them in recent years. I think the situation you are describing happens with most of schools in that conference and if teams play jv games there are an awful lot of kids playing on both Friday and Saturday.
I don’t like when a kid plays a little varsity then doesn’t play jv. If you’re a freshmen you need as many reps are you can get.

I believe Campbell started the 2020 season with 32 players on the varsity roster, 10 of which were freshmen. Two or three of them started for the varsity. Not because they were super talented. But because of lack of depth. By the end of the 2020 season I believe Campbell had just 25 players on the entire roster. I have always been a firm believer of getting younger kids as many reps as possible. I am not sure if many of the freshmen got that chance last season. JV games were cancelled more often than not.

Freshmen football is still around, but far fewer schools are able to have a team. So far Poland has been able to , but it's not a guaranteed thing anymore. For 2021 season, only 24 freshmen have signed up. Looking at last year's freshmen schedule, the other schools who play a freshmen team are Springfield, Niles, Howland, Lakeview, Hubbard (on the schedule but cancelled), Salem, and Boardman. We'll see how things look for the freshmen this coming year. That schedule is not available yet.

If the Head Coach is not in the building, then you must have(at least) two coaches in the building. I hope the young man succeeds; however, I see "one and out." Coach King does not know what he got himself into. They should have hired someone from the "inside." I am sure they tried, moreover, someone who is retired or has the time to visit the school at least 3-4 times a week, around their profession.

I wonder how CM will handle seeing coach sikora on the opposite sideline when they face NF. Might be the only wrinkle that makes that an interesting game...