Buying Tickets at the Door

Great for you. I don't have a cell. Many do not. If there is a cash option and so many are so in love with the cashless option, won't they still prefer to use it or are they using it only because they are forced to?

With planning, sure I can buy a ticket using internet and if it's not too late, go to a library to print it. I appreciate that you acknowledge, people forget. I can honestly say both my football and basketball entertainment has been quite curtailed. Basketball in total actually. Dinasaurs get buried, this is a fact of life. But OHSAA, the schools, these are organizations built for the epress purpose to serve people, to keep that from happening to them. I'm glad there is still discussion onthe issue. It gives hope that a better solution will be discussed and found.
I'm not going to argue with you over whether you own a cell phone or not. I don't know you so thats pointless. I am going to call BS on the idea that there is a large contingent of people that don't have cell phones, regardless of age. You might have had a leg to stand on with that one 10 years ago, but you'd be pushing it even then.

I know at our school a lot of people would print out their tickets and bring them to the gate to get scanned. Especially the grandparents or other older folks. This way they didn't have to fuss with their phones while standing in line.

Buy on their computer and print them off. Seemed like a good compromise for them.

I know at our school a lot of people would print out their tickets and bring them to the gate to get scanned. Especially the grandparents or other older folks. This way they didn't have to fuss with their phones while standing in line.

Buy on their computer and print them off. Seemed like a good compromise for them.
That's the one doesn't work well for me. Once kids are out of the house, not much need for a printer.

IMO, Philly_cat's protestations aside, best practice is to be able to accommodate both. Merging change is the more common approach. Those schools all-in kind of broke business protocol with this one. It's not a difficult look around the stands to see there is an aging population. Probably not that difficult to set up a purchasing station if they really, really want to address both the without and the impulse crowd.

I have mine printed out so I dont have to mess with it on my phone.

When people were complaining about thsi during the season I suggested using this difficulty for old folks as a reason for the grandkids they were going to see to come on over and help them with it.

That's the one doesn't work well for me. Once kids are out of the house, not much need for a printer.

IMO, Philly_cat's protestations aside, best practice is to be able to accommodate both. Merging change is the more common approach. Those schools all-in kind of broke business protocol with this one. It's not a difficult look around the stands to see there is an aging population. Probably not that difficult to set up a purchasing station if they really, really want to address both the without and the impulse crowd.
Yes, that would be ideal but not always the case as others have pointed out. If you're going to one particular schools events call them to ask about options. Maybe a season pass you can just flash at the gate.

Yes, that would be ideal but not always the case as others have pointed out. If you're going to one particular schools events call them to ask about options. Maybe a season pass you can just flash at the gate.
If you're going to almost every home game a season pass would be ideal. Easier and saves you money. If your school offers that I'd look into it. Season passes are part of the weining off of cash process.

I've been in telecom for over 20 years. Mid 2000's it was mandatory for all analog cellular be taken off line. Companies did everything possible for years to get folks off of analog phones. Free phones, service, in store classes om how new phones worked. And when the federal deadline came there were still a tiny percentage of people holding onto their old outdated phones.

I'm not saying cash is outdated, I've already said I'm a cash holder myself, but going away from it makes things far easier (and cheaper) for schools to manage.

How much of a convenience fee is being charged at some of these schools? Our school went to online sales and the price for individual games dropped by a dollar or more.

Not paying an extra fee and not risking my personal info for a high school sporting event. You can take my cash which is as it says legal tender for all debts.

I'm not going to argue with you over whether you own a cell phone or not. I don't know you so thats pointless. I am going to call BS on the idea that there is a large contingent of people that don't have cell phones, regardless of age. You might have had a leg to stand on with that one 10 years ago, but you'd be pushing it even then.
I have a cell phone but not a smart phone. I know people even though they have the finances that don't even have internet. If you don't think this move to credit card only is cutting down on tix sales, you would be wrong. Over a half million households in Ohio don't have internet: https://connectednation.org/blog/20...number-of-households-without-internet-access/

Last edited:
I have been to over 10 locations this year for Bball only New richmond and Harrison i know of are selling tickets at the door.
Everyone else is online.

OHSAA doesnt collect anything more from online than they do a "cash ticket" the online CC fee's is what pisses me off. Its an extra 3-4 bucks

I attempted to go to the Groveport at Pick Central game last week and they would not take my cash... so I left.
I asked why not and the lady at the gate said she didn't know why... She also said they WERE taking cash at the concession stand.
PC won by 35 so I guess I was better off in the end! There were some kids there who had been dropped off by parents who also could not get in. Not sure how that worked out...
Reminds me of my church taking away the hymnals from the pews in March 2020 and never putting them back... The rationale: They might have COVID-19 on them...

HeelinOhio, I want go to a game that doesn't take my cash. They will take my cash when it comes property tax time they had darn well take it at a game.
It is stupid they won't take money at the door by they will at a concession stand. Where is the logic in any of this.

HeelinOhio, I want go to a game that doesn't take my cash. They will take my cash when it comes property tax time they had darn well take it at a game.
It is stupid they won't take money at the door by they will at a concession stand. Where is the logic in any of this.
You pay your taxes in cash???

I served as Treasurer or as the accounting point person for over a dozen youth groups or official in-school teams over the years that my kids were in two large, well-off districts over 15 years. I would say cash skimming or theft/giving away of inventory took place in over half of them (of which we caught perhaps 50% of the individuals involved and managed to halt most of the rest.

To give you an idea of how pervasive theft can be, one of the school AD's and the head coach of one kid's club team were caught diverting cash (I was not involved with former, but found the hole in the books for the latter when I was drafted for the financial oversight role. We're talking thousands of dollars in each case. For that matter, one of the city officials in one of the communities stole nearly half a million dollars from cash skimming from the Parks department over a number of years.

I always made it a point to publish a monthly accounting of bank activity, receipts of for all purchases, sales figures, and weekly inventories of equipment, concession stocks, etc.- and required two signatures for ALL checks. It usually made gaps rather obvious to everyone involved - when you buy 2000 merchant discount cards, sell 1500, and have 100 in stock, most anyone can do the math.

I would not be surprised if some insurance companies no longer cover cash thefts from booster clubs or athletic departments.

I served as Treasurer or as the accounting point person for over a dozen youth groups or official in-school teams over the years that my kids were in two large, well-off districts over 15 years. I would say cash skimming or theft/giving away of inventory took place in over half of them (of which we caught perhaps 50% of the individuals involved and managed to halt most of the rest.

To give you an idea of how pervasive theft can be, one of the school AD's and the head coach of one kid's club team were caught diverting cash (I was not involved with former, but found the hole in the books for the latter when I was drafted for the financial oversight role. We're talking thousands of dollars in each case. For that matter, one of the city officials in one of the communities stole nearly half a million dollars from cash skimming from the Parks department over a number of years.

I always made it a point to publish a monthly accounting of bank activity, receipts of for all purchases, sales figures, and weekly inventories of equipment, concession stocks, etc.- and required two signatures for ALL checks. It usually made gaps rather obvious to everyone involved - when you buy 2000 merchant discount cards, sell 1500, and have 100 in stock, most anyone can do the math.

I would not be surprised if some insurance companies no longer cover cash thefts from booster clubs or athletic departments.
I've run my own baseball team for almost a decade now and I won't deny cash payments from families, but I STRONGLY encourage check or digital payments for everything. Too many pitfalls to be had with cash that I'm just setting myself up for failure even if I make sure I'm always doing the right thing.

It is pretty simple for me..... Cash or nothing. If the state runs the tourney the same way they did Football then they won't get a dime from me.

I have no smart phone nor do I have a printer but I do have cash. I guess that is not good enough for the OHSAA ... I'll just find something better to do and then I guess I, like many others, will stop attending HS sports.....

The “logic” is that the school is selling the tickets, and they make their own rules for that.

boosters are probably selling the concession, and they make their own rules for that.