Bullied Tennis Star

eastisbest

I would rather a link directly to the part of the interview in question but this is the best I could find. A reporter is being accused of "bullying," using an "agggresive" tone and being asked an "appalling" (NYPOST) question. The question begins at 5:20.

Cinci Press Conference: Osaka

thoughts?

Nothing wrong with anything he asked her.

On the other hand, someone needs to be the adult in the room and get her some serious help. Maybe tennis should be the furthest thing for her right now. Not sure why she started to cry but it is very sad that someone is going through such emotional struggles. This is a slow motion train-wreck and her handlers/enablers are not doing her any favors.

so not just me? After reading headlines that was NOT what I was expecting to hear. Moreso that the attacks on the reporter seem to be going withut opposition. If ANYONE, Osaka's camp should be chiming in here because the attacks on the reporter seem to me to confuse the message.

Her response was reasonable and well thought out and not accusatory that I saw. Being cut-out for competitive tennis doesn't automatically mean being cut-out for professional tennis. The former is defined by the court but the latter is fairly open to negotiation. She's simply saying maybe other ways of interaction should be explored. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think her getting upset is even a sign of help needed. If every shy genious was prevented from their gifts because they were shy about human interaction, we'd be in the dark ages.

So maybe the debate should be, why is no one coming to the defense of this reporter?

Reporters have stood up for the profession over money and advertisers. Has that been lost to history? I listened again with intent on finding someting wrong and still couldn't see a problem. Might it be because we're so weak that if a girl cries, the rest of us (males) lean towards being Galahad.

I would rather a link directly to the part of the interview in question but this is the best I could find. A reporter is being accused of "bullying," using an "agggresive" tone and being asked an "appalling" (NYPOST) question. The question begins at 5:20.

Cinci Press Conference: Osaka

thoughts?
This is her agent calling Paul Daugherty (who's a bleeding heart liberal, in almost all respects, and thus hardly fits the bill as a bully) an aggressive bully-- this is analogous to one of the Hollywood movie starlets' agents calling someone a bully because they are not a sycophant of the agent's client-- it holds no water, carries no weight, means zip-- It's like Donald Sutherland in Hogan's Heroes telling his tank crew "Don't hit me with those negative waves, man!" Next thing, Osaka's agent will be telling Daugherty that he's "a mean girl!"

Although the whole mental health awareness movement (which is gaining steam) is going to seize on this "incident" (there WAS no incident, except Osaka losing her composure and beginning to cry and break down over NOTHING), and probably will crucify Daugherty over this--since this reporter works for Gannett (the Cincinnati Enquirer is owned by Gannett)-- one of the most politically correct newspaper chains in existence-- he will probably be forced to issue a public apology (for doing nothing but his job, in an innocuous way) in order to keep his job (he's been on the job here for over 30 years now). Also, since this is a BIG sporting event in Cincinnati every year, and it is very crucial to its success for the top players to come here (and ALL of the top men's players have already pulled out of this year's tournament for one reason or another)-- Osaka was the biggest name left in the tournament, at this point-- the Tournament organizers (and probably then Daugherty himself) will feel TREMENDOUS pressure to apologize to Osaka (for NOTHING).

This is a LOT like the way Phil Mickelson made that Detroit Free Press reporter look like a scumbag for bringing up Phil's well-publicized association with known professional gamblers (who then had Mafia ties), during the tournament that Mickelson was playing in Detroit-- that one was more egregious, because the incident was OLD news-- but Mickelson made it clear that he would never be back to play that (very optional) tournament in Detroit again, if that was the way local press was going to treat him.

so not just me? After reading headlines that was NOT what I was expecting to hear. Moreso that the attacks on the reporter seem to be going withut opposition. If ANYONE, Osaka's camp should be chiming in here because the attacks on the reporter seem to me to confuse the message.

Her response was reasonable and well thought out and not accusatory that I saw. Being cut-out for competitive tennis doesn't automatically mean being cut-out for professional tennis. The former is defined by the court but the latter is fairly open to negotiation. She's simply saying maybe other ways of interaction should be explored. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think her getting upset is even a sign of help needed. If every shy genious was prevented from their gifts because they were shy about human interaction, we'd be in the dark ages.

So maybe the debate should be, why is no one coming to the defense of this reporter?
Osaka's "camp" IS WHO is attacking the reporter-- this was all started by her bird-brain agent from IMG.

Osaka's "camp" IS WHO is attacking the reporter-- this was all started by her bird-brain agent from IMG.

all my quotes were from other news media outlets. It's not just an agent attacking him. hmmm, or maybe. Now that I think abut it, those headlines had "bully," "aggresive" and "appalling" in quotes I think. I'll have to reread.

Reporters have stood up for the profession over money and advertisers. Has that been lost to history? I listened again with intent on finding someting wrong and still couldn't see a problem. Might it be because we're so weak that if a girl cries, the rest of us (males) lean towards being Galahad.
BINGO

You're right. These quotes are from ESPN's reporting.
Osaka put her head down and was fighting back tears as the reporter said, "Sorry." The tennis star responded with, "No, you're super-good," but the news conference moderator asked for a quick break before continuing.
The article is not perfectly clear but this would appear to have been the question after the question being panned. The second question was about the Earthquake in Haiti (where her father is from). She was starting to tear up between questions from the two reporters but stayed on the podium.

Osaka's agent, Stuart Duguid, later said in a statement to a freelance reporter for The New York Times that "the bully at the Cincinnati Enquirer is the epitome of why player / media relations are so fraught right now. Everyone on that Zoom will agree that his tone was all wrong and his sole purpose was to intimidate. Really appalling behavior.

I would say clearly the agent owes the reporter an apology. There was nothing remotely said or intoned along those lines.

This girl needs to find another way to make a living. She looked very frail. You could tell she lost it when she started looking upward. I know what the male reporter wanted to ask and that was your making 10 of millions of dollars in outside money and you can't keep it together for a 15 minute question and answer session before a tournament. Oh for the Jimmy Connors John McEnroe days.

Somewhat shocked the Today Show didn’t jump on the “bullying reporter” bandwagon this morning. They did not reference this, particular guy but did imply Osaka’s breakdown was due to a question in which an unnamed scribe used the word “crazy” in an inocuous sense. The panel of Roker, Guthrie, and Kotb clearly frowned at that.

Somewhere, Jimmy Piersall is chuckling.

Pauly, though I do not agree with a chunk of his stances/articles, is a Cincinnati legend and he did not come off as a bully or aggressive at all. Shameful smear job done by her agent.

I'll first say I do not like Paul Daugherty. He was on WLW for a short time doing sports talk and it was horrendous.

That said, there was nothing he questioned Osaka about that was even an issue. Osaka is a professional tennis player, she needs to grow up. I have no idea how she was raised, if she has an agent or some representation, but she's whacked out. And I'm tired of these folks always going to the mental illness card. I want her to go spend some time in a tough neighborhood. Hang around people who are struggling to figure out where their next meal is coming from. She doesn't have issues, she appears to be very, very spoiled.

The tide is turning folks. I know many of you loathe the media. Did you know major league baseball still doesn't allow reporters in the locker rooms? They are still doing zoom sessions. Why? Because the players and coaches hate dealing with the media. David Bell fields a few softball questions from the Cincy media and someone who covers the opponent and that's it's. It's not a room full of reporters anymore. A couple players get interviewed instead of the reporters roaming the locker room talking to everyone. I don't think it's going to change.

Nothing wrong with anything he asked her.

On the other hand, someone needs to be the adult in the room and get her some serious help. Maybe tennis should be the furthest thing for her right now. Not sure why she started to cry but it is very sad that someone is going through such emotional struggles. This is a slow motion train-wreck and her handlers/enablers are not doing her any favors.
Speaking as an unapproved spokesperson for the Osaka family of the embattled tennis star I need to inform or perhaps simply remind you of a few things.

First, life is short, when the reward for fanatical effort begins to flow in amounts of money most lottery winners can only dream about, there is no time for breaks to "get things right".

Mental health is a small price to pay for pushing her to achieve what we always have believed she is capable. If she proves me right I will not only share in her wealth, but will feel vindicated through her success that proves I was a good evaluator of talent. Sure the little lady is important to my success, but how she does or does not handle the pressure I have placed her under is not my problem. Thank you and now miss Osaka must go make her mark on tennis history.

I agree with the spoiled suggestion. I find it to be virtually impossible for her to have the level of success that she's had in professional tennis and at the same time have an overwhelming lack of mental toughness that she displays in press conferences. Part of being a PROFESSIONAL athlete is dealing with the media and answering tough questions when you don't feel like. It is her job. It's been happening since the first day the media began covering professional sports. This girl is a spoiled brat and if she truly has mental health problems that make it that difficult to talk to the media for 30 minutes, then somebody who cares for has a responsibility to get her the help she needs.

Osaka is a professional tennis player, she needs to grow up. I have no idea how she was raised, if she has an agent or some representation, but she's whacked out.
I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one. I don't believe English is her first language. Daugherty used the phrase "you aren't crazy about...". That's an idiom that we all understand, but I can see how she misheard/misunderstood it to reflect upon what is obviously a mental illness that she is battling. I'm not blaming Daugherty on this either. Just a misunderstanding that happens when you have a possible language barrier.

He has a history of being a pompous A Hole. But with that being sad, it wasn’t bullying. She is very mentally fragile and should continue with treatment

Some pushback. Same article from several sources, so I cannot tell the original source. They all appear to be translations, judging from slightly different words being used and glaring grammatical errors.

Team Osake's Smearing Tactics

EDIT: Here I believe is the original. Shame it had to come from the UK. Did ANYONE in the states stand-up?

Telegraph.co.uk

Last edited:
I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one. I don't believe English is her first language. Daugherty used the phrase "you aren't crazy about...". That's an idiom that we all understand, but I can see how she misheard/misunderstood it to reflect upon what is obviously a mental illness that she is battling. I'm not blaming Daugherty on this either. Just a misunderstanding that happens when you have a possible language barrier.
I think we're beyond the benefit of the doubt with her. She's hiding behind liberal ESPN and the other libs out there (even media people) who think it's ok to just curl up in a ball and fall apart. She's a stinking world class tennis player and can't sit and answer some simple questions? I think deep down she knows she's putting up the front for branding purposes. Jason McIntire is on her side he's a member of the media for goodness sake. Anyone think women aren't handled differently than men? If she got ripped like Tim Tebow has the last few weeks she's be in an institution.

Heck, just go with canned answers if you don't want to answer questions.

She needs to step away from tennis indefinitely if she’s this fragile. And I’m not saying that to sound like a hard guy, she clearly needs full time treatment. She’s young and will have plenty of time to get her tennis career back on track

She hasn't had a break down on court. She's young and right now, she's getting a lot of enabling for this BUT, she's not the one that cut down the reporter. This guy is:
Untitled.png

Actually, I believe she grew up primarily in the US-- and this English language idiom should be entirely familiar to her-- all one has to do is listen to her talk to tell that she is basically a native English speaker. it is a big stretch to imply (as, apparently, the Today show morning crew did) that somehow she interpreted his question as some kind of mental health slur on her-- and, even if it were mis-interpreted by Osaka-- Daugherty's exact words began "You're NOT crazy..."

Perhaps. Perhaps I've just had enough talks and training about working with autistic people that I hear an idiom like that and I start to think about how easy it is to be misunderstood. Again, nobody's fault, hers or his. I just think there was a misunderstanding somewhere and it's not necessarily anybody's fault.

Perhaps. Perhaps I've just had enough talks and training about working with autistic people that I hear an idiom like that and I start to think about how easy it is to be misunderstood. Again, nobody's fault, hers or his. I just think there was a misunderstanding somewhere and it's not necessarily anybody's fault.

Between those two fair enough but the agent? Anyone feeling he's sincere as opposed to looking out for #1? Or does he have popular idiom issues too?