Brush leaving WRC

Bedford - I can’t see them wanting to leave the LEL. They seem like a bad fit.

Nordonia is a perfect fit for the Suburban, but if they prefer to have a less challenging football league, WRC fits the bill. Although I can’t say that it would be that much of a drop. Kenston and Chardon have recent state championships. Mayfield is solid. Riverside is on the up and up. Nordonia was in the old WRC with Mayfield and Kenston.

cardz: Nordonia is unhappy in the SL right now because they wanted to get bumped down to the smaller division (Cuyahoga Falls got that instead). They would go from being the smallest school in the SL to the biggest (or pretty darn close to biggest) in the WRC. However, their travel situation would be much worse in the WRC than in the bigger SL. The football politics with Nordonia (and to lesser extent Twinsburg) was one of the key components of the NOC going down the drain.

Unless Twinsburg is having competitive issues across sports, they fit really well in the bigger SL in terms of enrollment and geographic footprint. Going to the WRC - like with Nordonia - would expand their travel. Aurora is the interesting team of those in the SL, as they would move from the smaller SL division which is not as geographically compact as the bigger division so the travel trade-off is more equal.

Perry and Chagrin are significantly smaller than their WRC counter-parts, and Chagrin tends to not be a play nice in the sandbox type politically. If there are internal CVC issues then the WRC spot might be attractive to Perry - though for Perry their fall sports travel in the CVC would be pretty similar to the WRC, and then for winter & spring the CVC is very compact for them. With the CVC, any time you are trying to keep 22 schools aligned, it's not easy. West Geauga is bigger than Perry and Chagrin, but still would be at the bottom of the WRC in terms of enrollment.

Bedford is a weird one to me. They're non-competitive in most of the sports outside of football & basketball. However, the WRC would present greater stability than the LEL in terms of the league itself. I would think they end up like Brush quickly, as they are similar in profile to Brush but even worse in the not FB and hoops sports.

cardz: Nordonia is unhappy in the SL right now because they wanted to get bumped down to the smaller division (Cuyahoga Falls got that instead). They would go from being the smallest school in the SL to the biggest (or pretty darn close to biggest) in the WRC. However, their travel situation would be much worse in the WRC than in the bigger SL. The football politics with Nordonia (and to lesser extent Twinsburg) was one of the key components of the NOC going down the drain.

Unless Twinsburg is having competitive issues across sports, they fit really well in the bigger SL in terms of enrollment and geographic footprint. Going to the WRC - like with Nordonia - would expand their travel. Aurora is the interesting team of those in the SL, as they would move from the smaller SL division which is not as geographically compact as the bigger division so the travel trade-off is more equal.

Perry and Chagrin are significantly smaller than their WRC counter-parts, and Chagrin tends to not be a play nice in the sandbox type politically. If there are internal CVC issues then the WRC spot might be attractive to Perry - though for Perry their fall sports travel in the CVC would be pretty similar to the WRC, and then for winter & spring the CVC is very compact for them. With the CVC, any time you are trying to keep 22 schools aligned, it's not easy. West Geauga is bigger than Perry and Chagrin, but still would be at the bottom of the WRC in terms of enrollment.

Bedford is a weird one to me. They're non-competitive in most of the sports outside of football & basketball. However, the WRC would present greater stability than the LEL in terms of the league itself. I would think they end up like Brush quickly, as they are similar in profile to Brush but even worse in the not FB and hoops sports.

If that’s the case with Nordonia, that’s such a shame since, as you mentioned, this was the exact same issue as their exodus from the NOC. Selfishly I wouldn’t be opposed as it would give Solon a MUCH better shot of getting into the SL.

It makes sense why Aurora keeps getting mentioned, but I just don’t see it. Their rivalry with Kenston never really kept up like I thought it would when they both got booted out of the CVC. And I know this gets overblown, but MS athletics do need to be taken into consideration when all else is equal. Their MS travel is EXTREMELY compact, which would be far from the case in the WRC. Aurora’s trips aren’t too awful in the SL for HS...probably a little better than the WRC.

Bedford doesn’t make sense to me either, but just going on what I heard. I know they did try and get out of the LEL a few years back when they applied to the SL.

IMO, Perry is really the intriguing one here. On paper they seem too small, but no doubt they could compete in multiple sports in the WRC, and with playoff expansion to 12 teams, maybe they wanted to try and step up their game. And just as important, they might just not like their new set up in the new CVC...no clue, but I do see themselves aligning more with the northern WRC schools than I do the CVC Lake schools. Again, I haven’t heard that, just my perception.

Bedford has been so desperate for so long to get out of the LEL they applied to the SWC on the west side a few years back.

I wish schools would organize their middle school schedules largely by geography and not so much by leagues. Size-aligned leagues with a larger geographic footprint are fine for high school, but not as necessary at the lower levels IMO.

I don't understand why Bedford is so eager to go elsewhere, especially with Garfield Heights and Shaker back in the LEL. Unless they no longer feel confident competing against larger schools likes Heights in football and basketball?

IMO, it would in the best interest of Nordonia to join the WRC with other schools, like Aurora and Twinsburg (increasing the league to 10). Otherwise, I'm not sure why they would want to increase their travel.

For Aurora, the WRC would be geographically similar to when they were in the CVC Chagrin (Painesville Harvey, Perry, Wickliffe). Also, they would reap the benefits in football of competing against D2 schools they typically can beat and have rivalries with strong D3 programs in Chardon and Kenston.

Perry may be considering the same as the points I made for Aurora.

Last edited:
If there are internal CVC issues then the WRC spot might be attractive to Perry - though for Perry their fall sports travel in the CVC would be pretty similar to the WRC, and then for winter & spring the CVC is very compact for them. With the CVC, any time you are trying to keep 22 schools aligned, it's not easy. West Geauga is bigger than Perry and Chagrin, but still would be at the bottom of the WRC in terms of enrollment.
no way Perry should join the WRC. Yeah they have been good at football the past few years but I think that has been for 1-2 classes and those were an all-time best kind of classes. class that schools sees maybe once every decade. I think they had a class like that in '99, '08, and what we just recently saw

A major appeal for Perry could be travel and gate $$$, especially long-term when more people are vaccinated. League travel for the Pirates would reduce in the WRC because 6 of the 7 schools are within 30 minutes away. In the CVC, only 3 schools are within an half hour distance. I'm not sure the Ashtabula schools bring much of a following, at least compared to the WRC schools.

A major appeal for Perry could be travel and gate $$$, especially long-term when more people are vaccinated. League travel for the Pirates would reduce in the WRC because 6 of the 7 schools are within 30 minutes away. In the CVC, only 3 schools are within an half hour distance. I'm not sure the Ashtabula schools bring much of a following, at least compared to the WRC schools.

Perry likes where they are even with Kirtland coming in for football. Not going anywhere. Perry is closer to the 209 D5 cutoff than the 271 D3 cutoff with around 238 boys. AD TJ told me a couple years ago that they were trending to lower numbers, not sure if that's still the case. OOC games with Chardon, Madison and Riverside is about as much of the WRC that they want right now.

Perry likes where they are even with Kirtland coming in for football. Not going anywhere. Perry is closer to the 209 D5 cutoff than the 271 D3 cutoff with around 238 boys. AD TJ told me a couple years ago that they were trending to lower numbers, not sure if that's still the case. OOC games with Chardon, Madison and Riverside is about as much of the WRC that they want right now.

Yes, I believe he is right based off this source. Elementary enrollment numbers appear to be trending lower.

Perry may not have the overall enrollment numbers, but they always turn out numbers for their athletic programs. They are able to compete at a higher level because of that.

I believe yesterday was the preferred deadline to submit interest in joining the WRC to replace Brush. Any additional interest from other schools or any updates for the rumored 3 (Bedford, Perry, Nordonia) that already expressed interest?

For what it's worth, I've noticed Nordonia is littered among WRC schools' schedules for next year. Boys and girls sports alike. Maybe not so surprising to see among the southwestern schools in the league, but certainly surprising to see on Madison and Riverside schedules for multiple sports.

Yes, I believe he is right based off this source. Elementary enrollment numbers appear to be trending lower.

Perry may not have the overall enrollment numbers, but they always turn out numbers for their athletic programs. They are able to compete at a higher level because of that.
With the Senate bill reversing, you might see people leave and the numbers drop. I also know a lot of the nursery land is being turned into developments, so that could cancel out the ppl leaving and maybe give them a little spike.

I will be very curious on the direction of the program since Rosati is gone. I think the last thing they want to do is enter a new/tougher conference with a brand new coach. Also believe it is said that Kirtland might only stay in the Chagrin Division for two years. I am really excited to see that match up. They have been putting on amazing scrimmages for awhile

With the Senate bill reversing, you might see people leave and the numbers drop. I also know a lot of the nursery land is being turned into developments, so that could cancel out the ppl leaving and maybe give them a little spike.

I will be very curious on the direction of the program since Rosati is gone. I think the last thing they want to do is enter a new/tougher conference with a brand new coach. Also believe it is said that Kirtland might only stay in the Chagrin Division for two years. I am really excited to see that match up. They have been putting on amazing scrimmages for awhile

I certainly understand Perry not wanting to make a move with a new coach. The CVC evaluates the divisions every two years for enrollment and competitive balance. I think we can anticipate Kirtland in the Chagrin and Harvey in the Valley as a long term swap. Fundamentally, Kirtland has the resources to compete at a higher level in many sports. Painesville City Schools do not.

Any talk in the Nordonia community about joining the WRC? It appears the WRC schools have one-year contacts with their "filler" games this year for losing Brush. I also noticed that Nordonia's "filler" game with Benedictine is one-year, as Benedictine has posted on OHSAA for a week 10 game needed in 2022.

Last edited:
Brush left relatively "late" for the conference to fill for this upcoming school year (2021-22), which is why I am guessing the WRC schools filled on one-year contracts. Even if/when they add an eighth this spring, it's not likely going to be able to go into effect until 22-23 anyway.

Brush left relatively "late" for the conference to fill for this upcoming school year (2021-22), which is why I am guessing the WRC schools filled on one-year contracts. Even if/when they add an eighth this spring, it's not likely going to be able to go into effect until 22-23 anyway.
It's getting pretty late to join for 22-23 at this point. I mean Elyria gave notice to the GCC about leaving for 2021 in January of 2020.

I think you would have heard something by now if teams applied. Don't think there was anyone applying at this point

It's getting pretty late to join for 22-23 at this point. I mean Elyria gave notice to the GCC about leaving for 2021 in January of 2020.

I think you would have heard something by now if teams applied. Don't think there was anyone applying at this point
A few applied. Not good fits

It would make sense for the WRC schools to wait to see how the search for an 8th member plays out before agreeing to another year for their “filler” games for 2022. But, I find it interesting that Nordonia didn’t agree to a two-year deal with Benedictine for their “filler” game in week 10 for 2022 unless they were playing it safe as an applicant and waiting to see how the WRC played out.

I
Do tell...

Maybe private schools? I can’t imagine the WRC turning down an area public school that is showing interest.
I agree. And, if they had no options I imagine we would already see postings on the OHSAA for the next couple seasons with the WRC looking to fill their open weeks 4-10. I believe both Madison and Riverside have yet to schedule their “filler” games for 2021.

Last edited:
Really ? Who then ? Find it very hard to believe that the papers and media would hear nothing but you did.

We've heard about applications in the past for the fed ,gcc , suburban etc if schools were turned down but nothing about the wrc

Last edited:
It would make sense for the WRC schools to wait to see how the search for an 8th member plays out before agreeing to another year for their “filler” games for 2022. But, I find it interesting that Nordonia didn’t agree to a two-year deal with Benedictine for their “filler” game in week 10 for 2022 unless they were playing it safe as an applicant and waiting to see how the WRC played out.
Or Nordonia ran out of options for 21 and were forced to settle for scheduling private school Benedictine for one year. Could have nothing at all to do with the wrc . Prob most likely