Boardman Head Coaching Job

Probably the best "name" on paper but I'm not sure it will be the best hire. Though I actually thought he should have been hired back in 2013 after D'Eramo resigned (WB had just won the NBC that year)....

And not very successful at any, hopefully the third time is the charm
While at Harding he inherited a team that lost 22 seniors the year before. Over his harding teams got better year after year. His only downfall at Harding was losing to Howland in 2010. He's been pretty successful if you look his record improvement at each stop he's made

While at Harding he inherited a team that lost 22 seniors the year before. Over his harding teams got better year after year. His only downfall at Harding was losing to Howland in 2010. He's been pretty successful if you look his record improvement at each stop he's made
West Branch with Dota…8 years (2011-2018) 38-42

West Branch 8 years prior to Dota (2003-2010) 40-39-1

Insiders tell me that he got a lot of help. Especially from one influential individual who used to run a big school?!? Sooooo..."Name that Tune."

West Branch is 23-11 since he left. Remember when people were in an uproar when he wasn't being brought back?
He was 4-17 vs teams with a winning record which included some of the most lopsided losses in WGH history. The Howland loss just sealed his fate.

I think WB just had really good talent in a down league and their coach benefited from it. It’s just opinion if dota wouldn’t have done the same thing with that team. The year after he left they did go 2-8 and lost to a team with one of the longest losing streaks in the state

Solid coach, just think it shows not a highly sought after job anymore or it could be no teaching jobs. But these last few hires for the Spartans not very impressive

I think WB just had really good talent in a down league and their coach benefited from it. It’s just opinion if dota wouldn’t have done the same thing with that team. The year after he left they did go 2-8 and lost to a team with one of the longest losing streaks in ohio I believe

He was 4-17 vs teams with a winning record which included some of the most lopsided losses in WGH history. The Howland loss just sealed his fate.

Over the last five seasons, Harding is 6-19 vs. teams with winning records. That includes an 0-6 mark this past season with an offense more explosive than any that Dota ever had and a 55-point playoff loss in 2019. If Lynn Bowden never shows up in '15, who knows what those two seasons would've been like? Harding's ego was too big to lose to arguably Howland's best team ever, yet somehow, blatantly throwing games away to prove a point has become acceptable in Warren nowadays. Sad.

The '10 Glenville team that Dota lost to in his last game at Harding (41-6) had 7 future NFL players on it. I wonder how many '19 Massillon will have? Whatever the case may be, I wish Coach Dota well in Boardman.

Boardman seems committed to mediocrity on the gridiron. This hire confirms that. Dota isn’t a bad coach, he isn’t a great coach. He will put together a solid program that will probably be around 6-4 most years, 7-3 with talent, 4-6 on down years. Never terrible, never great.

Boardman seems committed to mediocrity on the gridiron. This hire confirms that. Dota isn’t a bad coach, he isn’t a great coach. He will put together a solid program that will probably be around 6-4 most years, 7-3 with talent, 4-6 on down years. Never terrible, never great.
All depends on the staff coaches put together. You can only be as good as the staff is as a whole

Over the last five seasons, Harding is 6-19 vs. teams with winning records. That includes an 0-6 mark this past season with an offense more explosive than any that Dota ever had and a 55-point playoff loss in 2019. If Lynn Bowden never shows up in '15, who knows what those two seasons would've been like? Harding's ego was too big to lose to arguably Howland's best team ever, yet somehow, blatantly throwing games away to prove a point has become acceptable in Warren nowadays. Sad.

The '10 Glenville team that Dota lost to in his last game at Harding (41-6) had 7 future NFL players on it. I wonder how many '19 Massillon will have? Whatever the case may be, I wish Coach Dota well in Boardman.
In the case of Harding, you have to look at the leadership. Perhaps this a topic for another thread. As for Dota, he must the best interviewer around. Best of luck to Boardman.

I’m good with Dota hire.

Just curious- who do you think are realistic options Boardman would have to hire that would’ve been grand slam hires? Many of you assume guys like Pav at Canfield, Yeagley at SR or Brungard want to make a move.

Besides those few it’s not like there are many outstanding head coaches. Fitch and Harding’s are far from killing it. Hubbard’s has been good but they’ve built up some nice talent there and isn’t he an alum? Mooney blows. Regarding is good recruiter/coach but UHS alum. Most others are hard to judge at such small school levels. No western PA teacher/coach will go to Ohio due to higher pay there.

Point is the coaching pool is not deep.

I’m good with Dota hire.

Just curious- who do you think are realistic options Boardman would have to hire that would’ve been grand slam hires? Many of you assume guys like Pav at Canfield, Yeagley at SR or Brungard want to make a move.

Besides those few it’s not like there are many outstanding head coaches. Fitch and Harding’s are far from killing it. Hubbard’s has been good but they’ve built up some nice talent there and isn’t he an alum? Mooney blows. Regarding is good recruiter/coach but UHS alum. Most others are hard to judge at such small school levels. No western PA teacher/coach will go to Ohio due to higher pay there.

Point is the coaching pool is not deep.
Reardon went to Canfield.

Dota is a good hire. Long time Harding spectator here. They let him go prematurely. Had little talent while at Harding, but they were well coached and played with heart. When they brought in Arnold, they got a babysitter/ pseudo father . Below average coach but wrestled with poor or bad socioeconomic troubles as the powers that be wanted that problem addressed. Dota also arrived at WB with little talent available. They were also well coached. Reality is great coaches often have great talent. When you don’t it’s tough to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Dota should do o.k. at Boardman. They will be well coached. If the talent is there, they will win. I’ll be watching to see how they play the parochials. I’d like to see a Massillon matchup as well.

Wish Coach Dota the best. He's a good dude and I thought he got a raw deal at Harding as someone else mentioned above. Made the playoffs and got fired right after. I think Boardman Football is in good hands

DJ is a Boardman guy, but I’m not sure he was the guy they wanted??? He coached against my son back when he was the coach at Harding, thought he was okay. Just a thought, oh well. Good luck to Coach Dota