Boardman Head Coaching Job

This is a good job… Always have good tough kids That I feel in the past have really underachieved… They always seem to lose a game or two that they have no business losing. Should draw a lot of interest with a lot of quality candidates.
Possibly… But your head coach needs to be in the building with the players and active in the school and community to do it right… Just my opinion
Bingo

that is what I was going to reply with…
So two guys who went 1-19 and a guy (mike Popio jr) who I have never heard of. If they could of offered hall a job then they would of last time. If you have bad options might as well hire the guy who teaches there.
Popio is the current DC, math teacher in the building. Dad was the DC at Chaney/Boardman for quite some time. Kuntz considered last year so you never know. Definite long shot but you also don't expect a HC to leave after one season. I agree with you, they need someone from outside. Any rumor on DJ Olgilvie coming back? He did a really nice job while he was there.

DJ went down South to coach I thought?

He did but he's been back at United now for probably 5 years, as AD and HFC. His youngest I believe just graduated but I can't see him leaving that good position.

Dan Pallante is back in Florida after having to leave Maryland when Durkin got fired there.

None of those LOL…..look outside of Y Town
The problem is no one outside of Ytown wants to come here unless originally from here. It is hard even keeping locals here due to much lower pay than other areas like Cleveland or Columbus for teaching.

The head coaching candidate pool for any Youngstown/Warren area program is not as strong as some people here believe due to this. You are going to mainly get local retread head coaches and young local assistants looking to move up.

The pool of candidates last time was not anything fantastic in quality and I wouldn’t expect that to change unless someone comes out of nowhere. I’d bet on one of those names mentioned last time as finalists or if they go experienced route I could see a DJ Dota (lives in boardman by HS) type guy who had moderate success.

I have a question...Boardman always played schools in the Fed tough...now have a new stadium...why would a head coach of Boardman go to Chaney for the same job?

I have a question...Boardman always played schools in the Fed tough...now have a new stadium...why would a head coach of Boardman go to Chaney for the same job?

Sadly $$$..

Didn't Lake lose their AD to McKinley a year or so ago?

The education playing field is skewed in favor of inner cities over suburbs, even "good" ones.

Sadly $$$..

Didn't Lake lose their AD to McKinley a year or so ago?

The education playing field is skewed in favor of inner cities over suburbs, even "good" ones.
Yes Lake did...He went to the Canton City Schools. It was a step up position. He is director of facilities, his position has the AD's reporting to him. It actually was a natural move for him. His father held an administrative position of some type in the Canton Schools. My last conversation with Joe was he wished his dad was around to see his office in the Memorial Fieldhouse

There are just so many more administrative positions nowadays than there were just 10-15 years ago. And the urban districts especially the ones that have had some varying degree of academic distress have about 5 more layers of administration but those are natural positions for coaches and give them pay raises...

Popio is the current DC, math teacher in the building. Dad was the DC at Chaney/Boardman for quite some time. Kuntz considered last year so you never know. Definite long shot but you also don't expect a HC to leave after one season. I agree with you, they need someone from outside. Any rumor on DJ Olgilvie coming back? He did a really nice job while he was there.
On a scale of 1 to 100 Kuntz leaving the nfl where he just got a raise btw, to coach at a school with a administration that makes all the decisions I’ll give It a -100

Would look for someone who doesn't need a teaching job. If Boardman doesn't have any administrative openings then they'll keep losing guys like Antram. A retired guy would be best.
They're a few out there that would seriously consider this opportunity. And had success at schools with good programs like Boardman. And both would bring a "fire" in their hearts for an opportunity like this(double the Malox and Geritol). "3 coaches in 3 years" needs to be taken into consideration when they hire a new coach.

The problem is no one outside of Ytown wants to come here unless originally from here. It is hard even keeping locals here due to much lower pay than other areas like Cleveland or Columbus for teaching.

The head coaching candidate pool for any Youngstown/Warren area program is not as strong as some people here believe due to this. You are going to mainly get local retread head coaches and young local assistants looking to move up.

The pool of candidates last time was not anything fantastic in quality and I wouldn’t expect that to change unless someone comes out of nowhere. I’d bet on one of those names mentioned last time as finalists or if they go experienced route I could see a DJ Dota (lives in boardman by HS) type guy who had moderate success.
I don’t agree with this. I think the issue is the schools themselves going and getting the ‘quality’ candidates. If Boardman doesn’t have the ability to hire people into the district then they have no choice but to hire a guy who goes 4-5 and then leaves….or to hire another coach without experience this time around.

Last edited:
No matter what Boardman does it is absolutely imperative that they find a guy that will be there for a few years and be a decent coach. Sure you can hire any young guy but as camel and Lakeview have found out, it takes a lot more than youth to win football games. But I would not put Boardman at the level of a camel or Lakeview program… so they should not have too much trouble finding a quality candidate.
and why the pushback about Fecko? If I was Boardman I would take the guy in a heartbeat.

I don’t know if something is going on behind the scenes to cause issues with each new staff, but I think Boardman is a sleeping giant. The right guy, with the right support, could make them a force to deal with in the region.

I don’t know if something is going on behind the scenes to cause issues with each new staff, but I think Boardman is a sleeping giant. The right guy, with the right support, could make them a force to deal with in the region.
Agreed, there’s talent and great facilities they need to get the choice right