Bishop Hartley vs Ursuline (Youngstown) Thursday, August 19, 2021

Wo do you thing will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1. Parking: M70 Parking Lot is located on 5th Ave. across from the stadium. It is in between McDonalds and Taco Bell. That is the best bet for parking. $5.00
2. Tickets: ursuline.com/tickets - you may print the ticket or have the ticket on your smartphone. Enter the stadium on 5th avenue. Visiting fans sit in sections 5-7.
3. Admission Cost: 7.00 plus CC transaction fee.
4. Restrictions: No umbrellas. No glass bottles.
As today’s youth would say: “Good looks.”

If you haven’t been to YSU STADIUM in a couple years , Youngstown state and the city (I assume) did a really nice job on the fifth ave remodel. Someone may have mentioned this on the thread but was downtown yesterday and looks really nice.

Last time I was at the stadium was my sophomore year of High school (1994) when Lancaster beat Ursuline 9-8

VASJ was Division VI in the final year of the 6-division alignment (2012) and was playing Portsmouth Notre Dame (the 3rd-smallest 11-man football school in Ohio then) in non-league play. They're now Division IV, in the current 7-division alignment with a significantly bolstered roster #'s wise.
105 on the roster.

Do the public schools around Columbus accuse Hartley, Watterson, St. Charles, etc. of recruiting like they do Cardinal Mooney & Ursuline? Do you hear that line like we do? (Of historical note Ursuline liked going to Massillon back in the '70s because the gate alone would help pay for spring sports. But Massillon ditched us once we started to beat them.)
At an early spring lacrosse game in 2009, I asked Hartley's running backs/defensive backs coach what he thought about the possibility of St Pius 8th grader Godwin Igwebuike coming to Hartley. His answer was, Who? If we do recruiting, we suck mightily.

So lets get some info on the kids playing this game. Projected starters, ht, wt, class, returning starters, career stats. Don’t care about where should have played or other school came from nonsense.
would just like to know about Irish and Hawks players. Thanks

From someone who has zero ties to either school…
I go with Hartley
Both schools and fan bases are not afraid to play good teams.
There will be no intimidation factors in this game.

I think this game barring any illnesses will come down to strength and conditioning and familiarity with the system the kids have and relationships with coaches.
While Ursuline has talent and coaching it’s game 1.
I just think Hartley will wear down Ursuline in the 2nd half.
I think I read Ursuline has it old coach back but if it’s his first year. Might be a bit to much week 1 even if playing at Youngstown .
It really depends on how hard the Ursuline kids worked off season. Hartley isn’t a team you just beat with talent alone.

Now if this game was week 10 … imho it would be a coin toss.

I go with Hartley

I think this game barring any illnesses will come down to strength and conditioning and familiarity with the system the kids have and relationships with coaches.
I think I read Ursuline has it old coach back but if it’s his first year. Might be a bit to much week 1 even if playing at Youngstown .
It really depends on how hard the Ursuline kids worked off season. Hartley isn’t a team you just beat with talent alone.

Not his first year back no.

I go with Hartley

It’s Reardon’s 3rd year back at Ursuline.

Jarrod Ulrey
ThisWeek

Senior Richard Kenny is a top returnee for Hartley at wide receiver and defensive back.

OFFENSE
Senior Trey Saunders leads a large group of returning players at the skill positions.

Saunders rushed 56 times for 572 yards and six touchdowns and had 21 receptions for 408 yards and four scores, while senior running back Nyal Johnson rushed 114 times for 838 yards and seven touchdowns and senior wide receiver Richard Kenny had 15 catches for 222 yards and scored five touchdowns.
Saunders is expected to see most of his time at wide receiver but could get carries again out of the backfield.

Junior quarterback Peyton Underwood completed 41 of 77 passes for 749 yards and nine scores and could split time with senior Bryce January, who brings more of a running style to the position and “makes our guys miss (in practice),” according to Burchfield.
Seniors Cherod Bowens and DuShaun Tucker should get carries out of the backfield along with junior fullback Dylan Newsome, who has been recovering from an offseason injury.

McFeeters and Tooson are the top returnees on the offensive line, with McFeeters and junior Donovan Davis likely to be at guard, Tooson and senior Avion Murphy at tackle and senior Carson Schaeffer at center. Among those providing depth is junior Ben Burchfield, the coach’s son.
Senior Isaac Asiedu is the tight end.
The biggest losses offensively were running back Marselis Parker, who rushed for 679 yards and nine touchdowns, and lineman Tony Thivener, who was first-team all-state.
DEFENSE
Tooson was the other player for Hartley to earn first-team all-state honors.

After finishing with 15 tackles for loss and eight sacks, Tooson could see time at both end and tackle on the defensive line.
Tooson, who has offers from a group of schools that includes Akron, should be joined up front by many of the same players from the offensive line. That group includes Ben Burchfield, Davis, McFeeters, Murphy and sophomore Brendan Laret as well as Asiedu.
At linebacker, senior Anthony Murphy and juniors DeAunte’ Hubbard and Newsome all gained experience last season and should be joined by Bowens and Tucker.

Johnson, Kenny and Saunders are returnees in the secondary, with seniors Alex Ramicone and Aidan Turner and sophomore Raleigh Hogan also expected to contribute.
“Depth, I feel, is very important,” Avion Murphy said. “We play a lot of guys on both sides, so we have to get those guys rest and we’ll be a better football team.”

SPECIAL TEAMS
The Hawks plan to use the athleticism that Kenny and Saunders provide on kickoff and punt returns.

Coach Burchfield also has been impressed with Hogan, who is another who could see action on those units.
Senior Joey Ferryman is the returning long snapper, with senior Will Heskett serving as the holder.
Senior Alex Gabriel has taken over the kicking and punting duties after the Hawks lost Ryan Hawk to graduation. Hawk made two field goals and 31 of 32 extra points a year ago.

“(Gabriel) kicks many into the end zone on kickoffs,” coach Burchfield said. “We’ll try to use him as a weapon.”

Last edited:
THE LINEUP

Offense

Quarterbacks: *Peyton Underwood (jr., 6-3, 185), Bryce January (sr., 5-10, 175)

Running backs: *Nyal Johnson (sr., 5-10, 200), *Richard Kenny (sr., 5-10, 170), Cherod Bowens (sr., 6-2, 240), Dylan Newsome (jr., 5-10, 185), DuShaun Tucker (sr., 5-11, 230)

Receivers: *Trey Saunders (sr., 5-11, 185), Will Heskett (sr., 5-10, 175), Alex Ramicone (sr., 6-1, 170), Aidan Turner (sr., 5-10, 170)

Tight end: *Isaac Asiedu (jr., 6-3, 275)

Linemen: *Donovan Davis (so., 6-1, 275), Andrew McFeeters (sr., 6-1, 260), *Avion Murphy (sr., 6-4, 295), *Carson Schaeffer (sr., 5-10, 180), *Daniel Tooson (sr., 6-0, 270), Ben Burchfield (jr., 6-0, 220), Griffin Halenar (jr., 5-9, 220), Brendan Laret (so., 6-0, 220), Phillip Murray Jr. (jr., 6-3, 270)

Defense

Linemen: *Asiedu, *Davis, *Tooson, Burchfield, Laret, McFeeters, Murphy

Linebackers: *DeAunte’ Hubbard (jr., 6-1, 205), *Anthony Murphy (jr., 6-3, 215), *Dylan Newsome (jr., 5-10, 185), *Tucker, Bowens, Rory Ralston (so., 6-0, 180), Joey Wooten (so., 6-1, 180)

Secondary: *Johnson, *Kenny, *Saunders, Raleigh Hogan (so., 5-10, 160), Ramicone, Turner

Special teams

Kicker: *Alex Gabriel (sr., 6-2, 160)

Punter: *Gabriel

Returners: *Kenny, *Saunders, Hogan, Xavier Martin-Fuller (so., 5-8, 140), Turner

Long snapper: *Joey Ferryman (sr., 6-0, 210)

At an early spring lacrosse game in 2009, I asked Hartley's running backs/defensive backs coach what he thought about the possibility of St Pius 8th grader Godwin Igwebuike coming to Hartley. His answer was, Who? If we do recruiting, we suck mightily.
Ive never thought that Hartley recruits very much (if any). All of their talent comes from the private schools around Hartley. They very rarely get studs from public schools around the area.

Ive never thought that Hartley recruits very much (if any). All of their talent comes from the private schools around Hartley. They very rarely get studs from public schools around the area.
Hartley really does well with "building a wall" around the four major Catholic parish grade schools it depends on, the two smaller Catholic K-8s in the general area (Holy Spirit and St. Mary in German Village) that are probably good for 15-20 students a class and getting the handful of kids in Columbus that don't find nearby private schools attractive (St Charles -- too expensive and other things; Madison Christian -- really low profile and no football; Harvest Prep -- having an opinion toward WHC.) The recently-retired Mike Winters was unquestionably one of the most talented, competent and diligent Catholic high school administrators in Diocesan memory, and he played a massive hand in not only keeping Hartley proud but also thriving.

Rather than taking a passive "hey, we exist... just so you guys know" approach with its four big Catholic lifeblood schools (All Saints; St. Catherine; St. Matthew and St. Pius X), the Winters team did pretty well in getting strong relationships built with the principals and clergy of those four: to the point BH could get 4-5 events during the school year where the Catholic JH students are physically walking the walls of Hartley and participating in 7th and 8th grade visits, watching the musicals and other theatre put on by the performing arts people there, participating in all-school Mass and other activities on the regular... and conversely getting BH students who attended those grade schools back into those schools to talk about how they enjoy the school, what it has to offer etc.

Building a really solid bedrock for enrollment, with high-brand appeal (see also: the frequency of Bishop Hartley on NBC4) and a lot of talented & devoted individuals that teach*coach there is a process that doesn't stop -- while Hartley (as a school) does benefit from ASA, Holy Spirit, St Cath and SMGV as being virtual "locks" for 85-90% of non-St. Charles attendees going there [since Whitehall and Columbus City have limited offerings], it does have to stay fiercely competitive in its school profile and marketing with St. Matthew in Gahanna (given the DeSales connection) and Seton-St Pius X (SPX parishioners in Reynoldsburg are reliable but y'never know when Reynoldsburg HS II gets built, Pataskala side has become a reach in recent years for BH, whereas the Seton side also isn't the lay-up for BH that it used to be) to keep it from facing smaller yields of students from those schools.

Last edited:

You didn’t follow high school basketball in the early 90’s then did you?

You didn’t follow high school basketball in the early 90’s then did you?
Just to weighin on this, but getting one kid to enroll at Hartley in the early 90’s is not what I would
consider a recruiting powerhouse. Weaver was a great basketball player but he was a very selfish player that never led the team to a state championship. Furthermore he got suspended from the team and asked to be reinstated, the coach asked the team and they didn’t want him back. So he ended up going to Independence and playing with Kenny Gregory. So let’s get back to talking tonight’s football game. Thanks for the post on the Hawks players, I was hoping to get info on the Irish to see how these kids are going to match up. Either way it sounds like it’s going to be a hell of a game. As always GO HAWKS!!

Just to weighin on this, but getting one kid to enroll at Hartley in the early 90’s is not what I would
consider a recruiting powerhouse. Weaver was a great basketball player but he was a very selfish player that never led the team to a state championship. Furthermore he got suspended from the team and asked to be reinstated, the coach asked the team and they didn’t want him back. So he ended up going to Independence and playing with Kenny Gregory. So let’s get back to talking tonight’s football game. Thanks for the post on the Hawks players, I was hoping to get info on the Irish to see how these kids are going to match up. Either way it sounds like it’s going to be a hell of a game. As always GO HAWKS!!
Google the Ursuline preview and it should come up about the players.

Google the Ursuline preview and it should come up about the players.
That’s all good but I was hoping that people from ytown would give us some enlightening perspective on the Irish to create a discussion on the game rather than the same old recruiting dribble that is associated with the Catholic teams. Beating that dead horse to dust is never going to change people’s opinion. Talk about the game and the kids playing the game. I’ll step off my soapbox now.

Well that explains why that coach was let go after the 2009 season. ?

I expect Slot Back, Kenny to have a few explosive plays for TDs... and with the Irish throwing the ball I could see a few picks from Saunders and a sack or two from Tooson - don't know if the Irish have anyone in the trenches to handle him.

North got to him pretty early, despite him living in Jefferson Woods. Only 3 kids from that class attended Hartley and played there IIRC. But the three they got (Bus, Big Schaeff and Moose Matuska) were pretty solid. Loaded football class of 13 players (one NFL and one Notre Dame, with a bunch of other dawgs) that split 4-ways after 8th grade.