Birds and other Animals

What a world we live in. Book arrived today and I read it. Need a little while to sink in. Bummer he lost the fish. Now I'll reflect on what I read.
Doh! SPOILERS!!
Well, that's one more book I don't need to read.

Someone recommended a book called Fight Club. I like sports books, look forward to reading it.

Doh! SPOILERS!!
Well, that's one more book I don't need to read.

Someone recommended a book called Fight Club. I like sports books, look forward to reading it.
I apologize sincerely. Never thought about that aspect. It's actually only the third novel I've read in my entire life.
I don't use that side of the brain enough.

8A8B1DB9-FA47-4E77-83FA-F1273B90FE0D.jpeg

Just chillin'.

Do they go over the fence?

I think Cabe rec'd the salt lick.
I don’t think they ever go over the fence. I have a big backyard that’s shared bw 3 houses and they always hang out there. They have zero fear of people.

The cat and I have been watching five deer bedded down in our front yard for the night. Well, at least part of the night.
Does your car know "sic 'em"? If so, let the cat out and post the video.
You know how that goes. Cat charges at deer. Deer look, what's that cat doing? They sniff around each other. Bounce around the yard like a Disney movie and next thing you know, you're locked out on the wrong side of the sliding door in the snow looking in at deer and cat laying on the couch with the remote.

I've noticed a huge uptick in hawks and falcons over the last month. They've been flying very low around my neighborhood and I can distinctly hear their screams. Sadly I haven't witnessed them kill anything yet.

Look for feathers on the ground. We purchased a set of binoculars to watch. We also have bird feeders, so that definitely helps. You have larger trees?
I've noticed a huge uptick in hawks and falcons over the last month. They've been flying very low around my neighborhood and I can distinctly hear their screams. Sadly I haven't witnessed them kill anything yet.

Look for feathers on the ground. We purchased a set of binoculars to watch. We also have bird feeders, so that definitely helps. You have larger trees?
There's a hawk property behind me. I was sitting on the porch, watching the finches fly around. A blur and a sudden explosion of feathers. Occasionally I'll see the hawk on the chainlink outside my window. This one didn't even bother to land. Door-dashed that finch. I've been hoping one the neighborhood eagles would land. No doubt at some time they have but not while I was out and about. Fewer and fewer times seeing birds since new dirtbag neighbors moved in thinking they own everything and letting their cats roam around.

There's a hawk property behind me. I was sitting on the porch, watching the finches fly around. A blur and a sudden explosion of feathers. Occasionally I'll see the hawk on the chainlink outside my window. This one didn't even bother to land. Door-dashed that finch. I've been hoping one the neighborhood eagles would land. No doubt at some time they have but not while I was out and about. Fewer and fewer times seeing birds since new dirtbag neighbors moved in thinking they own everything and letting their cats roam around.
1677251624134.png

My neighborhood is under development and a little over halfway done. I've got a big tree line about 150 yards behind my house that looks to be 80-100 feet tall. We'll see how long those stay as new houses go up.

The only falcon commonly seen is the American kestrel, and that's a small bird. They hunt by striking from a perch, or while hovering.

"hear their screams" Red-tailed Hawks? click and listen

"flying very low" Northern Harriers hunt by gliding low over a grassland or marsh, holding their wings in a V-shape.

My neighborhood is under development and a little over halfway done. I've got a big tree line about 150 yards behind my house that looks to be 80-100 feet tall. We'll see how long those stay as new houses go up.
Check for feathers underneath that tree. We watch out of our windows of home. 20 feet away a few times. My wife is always sad when they nab a Cardinal.

They look like woodcock. They feed like sandpipers, without the urgency, in the sandy soil at marsh and lake edges. Or poke around in the leaves on the forest floor.
I came upon a woodcock last week at the local park. At least I thought it was but now that I see this I think it might have been a snipe. Similar back and forth rocking motion when walking. I've only seen a woodcock/snipe 3x in my life.

Maybe a little early for snipe, but they could be here. Woodcock have been here for a month. Where is an important clue. Snipe are in or near a marsh. Woodcock are in the woods or a grassy area near the woods. Displaying male woodcock is a fun experience.

Wilson's Snipe

American Woodcock ("big" eye set far back. Unusual stripes run across the top of head.)

Last edited:
We’ve had many deer, Fox, coyote, woodpecker in our backyard. I have to look and get the “all clear” before I let my dog out at night and early morning. My last Golden tried to chase a momma and her newborn does a couple years back and nearly got his skull caved in by moms hoof.