Biggest Surprises/Disappointments

I will find this topic fascinating. Is it possible that teams falling short of expectations were the direct result of multiple quarantines? This had to have been a very difficult season for all coaches, athletes and families involved. Congrats to all the folks that met or exceeded expectations.

Congratulations to all the state champions and ALL the teams who played this weekend.

Through a very challenging environment they rose to the top. Not only have these kids, yes they are still kids, faced basketball challenges but also living daily with the fear of COVID, their academics as well as the uncertainty of their schooling, hybrid, virtual or none at all, and restrictions on the normal socialization for their ages, just to name a few. I applaud their resilience.

Last edited:
Canton McKinley:
On paper (according to some) a very talented team that was going to make a serious run
They played not quite up to their competition.
Just barely average for a McKinley team.

Grade: C-

For Coach Andy Vlajovich
2021 (3rd year on the job) 14-6 (11-1 Fed) Tourn 3-1 : Over-All 17-7

This years edition of the Pups...
AP Rank #10 (likely based mostly on name only)
Federal League Championship
Tournament: District Runner-up (13th all-time *)
Winning season / his 3rd in a row at McK
Beat major rival Massillon
Lost rubber-match (tourny) with minor rival Hoover
Lost to Cin.Moeller in 1st game ever between the two schools

* not up to par / considering that McKinley has 49 Sweet-16 ( AKA District ) titles since the OHSAA
tournament start in 1923

:>---

75Y+6M

Last edited:
Lima Senior. Probably the best coaching job of Quincy Simpson's 7 years at the helm of the Spartans. Graduated 10 seniors a year ago, picked 4th in the TRAC. Turned that into a tri championship and his 5th trip to the regional finals. Spartans have 4/5 starters back next year as well as a great bench contingent.

Disappointment. State final attendance.

D4 1607 - all public
D3 935 - all private
D2 1103 - all private
D1 1607 - all public

Disappointment. State final attendance.

D4 1607 - all public
D3 935 - all private
D2 1103 - all private
D1 1607 - all public
Not a surprise. Has been trending that way for years and years. Even pre-covid you could pick up a program and almost guarantee which games would be low attendance based on matchups.

Not a surprise. Has been trending that way for years and years. Even pre-covid you could pick up a program and almost guarantee which games would be low attendance based on matchups.
Definitely need a smaller venue than the Schott even in a normal year. And I am tired of hearing the complaints from OHSAA about attendance if they are going to continue to allow these aau teams to continue.

Definitely need a smaller venue than the Schott even in a normal year. And I am tired of hearing the complaints from OHSAA about attendance if they are going to continue to allow these aau teams to continue.
And yet people are ridiculed on here for pointing out low attendance is partially to blame (not all) because the regular fan at state tournaments are tired of seeing aau teams play. Just look at the attendance for games over the past 10 years.

Speaking of AAU teams, Rossford has to be the most over hyped over rated sectional champ of all time. That staff has state championship level social media, pre-game videos, swag and introductions, but are an epic fail at everything else.

Hard to call attendance a disappointment if the state regulated the amount of people who could attend. Each player and coach was only allowed to have a set amount of family members in attendance. The regular season was even worse. Most teams played in almost empty gyms.

Canton McKinley:
On paper (according to some) a very talented team that was going to make a serious run

For Coach Andy Vlajovich

* not up to par / considering that McKinley has 49 Sweet-16 ( AKA District ) titles since the OHSAA
tournament start in 1923

75Y+6M
I agree ohiopup. This is one of those years that McKinley could've won it all but you have to win first. lol

Hard to call attendance a disappointment if the state regulated the amount of people who could attend. Each player and coach was only allowed to have a set amount of family members in attendance. The regular season was even worse. Most teams played in almost empty gyms.
That is not the case. The tickets that were given to playing schools where open to general public if not all sold. Every head coach and athletic department was given codes to purchase tickets and could have sent them to anyone. The only limit was on the total tickets per event but each event had the same total available.

Speaking of AAU teams, Rossford has to be the most over hyped over rated sectional champ of all time. That staff has state championship level social media, pre-game videos, swag and introductions, but are an epic fail at everything else.
How many transfers did they have this season?

That is not the case. The tickets that were given to playing schools where open to general public if not all sold. Every head coach and athletic department was given codes to purchase tickets and could have sent them to anyone. The only limit was on the total tickets per event but each event had the same total available.
Couple things to note re: attendance...

1) There were at least two schools who participated in the D2 and D3 finals that encouraged their fans to watch at home via TV or streaming. Those schools were likely following the lead that was set from the beginning: focus on getting parents and family to the games first, and whatever is left should have students as first-priority. AD's are not ticket salesmen for OHSAA tournaments beyond plugging a URL link to order out of. You expect them to hustle out codes?

2) The only chance OHSAA really had to capitalize on the unsold tickets was to make 11th-hour announcements on social media. It is very lofty to expect to attain many fans from the General Public on a couple-hours notice, to attend games at a site that -- in many cases -- was further away from where they lived compared to where the games were held in the previous years.

3) The games were played on Sunday. What do you expect?

You're sounding rather personally hurt. I might agree on some aspect of how the team came to be but so WHAT if they put on a show for the kids? That complaint is just petty. It cost you nothing. It cost them nothing. In a covid year, when many couldn't even be with their friends at school or have them attend games, I hope a lot of adults found ways to put on a show for the kids.

As for the hype, what and who? Was this a collection of all-stars from other places? Kids you are upset weren't on your team? I don't see how you get "epic fail" either or why you would say that about kids regardless how they came together. After their best player got in foul trouble, they lost a close game to a D1 team in D2 cloths with some pretty good players and coaching of their own, regardless their record.

Canton McKinley:

For Coach Andy Vlajovich

tournament start in 1923

75Y+6M
Well said. And this is all with the District POY...How do you think Brent Walker will be at the next level? I believe he's going to Walsh

I don’t consider the attendance numbers a disappointment if 1607 was the “magic” number. People are choosing to still avoid crowds, grandma &grandpa can watch at home. Last but not least I’m sure some folks just don’t want to sit around wearing a mask watching a basketball game for a few hrs.

Couple things to note re: attendance...

1) There were at least two schools who participated in the D2 and D3 finals that encouraged their fans to watch at home via TV or streaming. Those schools were likely following the lead that was set from the beginning: focus on getting parents and family to the games first, and whatever is left should have students as first-priority. AD's are not ticket salesmen for OHSAA tournaments beyond plugging a URL link to order out of. You expect them to hustle out codes?

2) The only chance OHSAA really had to capitalize on the unsold tickets was to make 11th-hour announcements on social media. It is very lofty to expect to attain many fans from the General Public on a couple-hours notice, to attend games at a site that -- in many cases -- was further away from where they lived compared to where the games were held in the previous years.

3) The games were played on Sunday. What do you expect?
1) The codes were emailed and could have easily been posted anywhere for fans to see and purchase. If fans want to attend they know how to get a ticket that is available. This IS the Ad's job if his teams make a state tournament, getting his parents and fans info for tickets.

2) D3 and D2 were decided on Friday night and early Saturday, so plenty of time for sales and this is the normal timeframe for a Sate Tournament in dealing with team fans. Their tickets always go on sale after the semi games.

3) IT'S THE STATE FINALS!!!!

Disappointment for Me was Taft. Thought they could Win State. I think Griffith will leave Taft and play for a Local D1 program.

And yet people are ridiculed on here for pointing out low attendance is partially to blame (not all) because the regular fan at state tournaments are tired of seeing aau teams play. Just look at the attendance for games over the past 10 years.
What teams do you consider AAU teams just curious? SVSM and who else? Some of the lower division schools?