Best Team to Miss the Playoffs

Finally, let's remember 2019.

In Ohio Division 5, Northwood High School finished ninth in their region. Their points were the 21st highest in Division 5. Teams with 7-3 records got in. They were rated 20th on Calpreps, while a team rated 60th was in.

In Ohio Division 6, Gibsonburg High School finished ninth in their region. Their points were the 22nd highest in Division 6. Two teams with 5-5 records and less points got in. They were rated 26th on Calpreps, while a team rated 52nd was in.

Last edited:
1979 10-0 Johnstown. Last game of the season they defeated 9-0 Newark Catholic, who was the 6 time defending LCL champion, was the defending Class A state champion, and had a 20 + game winning streak. Over 7,000 people were at that game. Last year of Class AAA, AAA, A.

1983 Upper Arlington Golden Bears. They were the best team in the state that season and did not make it
Sorry, good as you were...10-0 Centerville was even better that year and also didn't get in. Only 2 teams per region left a lot of potential state champions on the sidelines. 1 per region was even worse. Just be glad your 2000 team never had to succumb to that heartache. :)

Last edited:
The best team to miss the playoffs is the 1971 Troy Trojans. A year before playoffs started. The best team in Troy and Miami Valley history. They would have rolled anyone in the state. And I mean anyone. That is my pick.
Take it easy......Gerry Faust is on line one, and Bob Lewis from Wyoming would like a word when you're thru with Faust. Also, the fella's from Warren Harding, Massillon, and Mooney have a few questions for ya.

Take it easy......Gerry Faust is on line one, and Bob Lewis from Wyoming would like a word when you're thru with Faust. Also, the fella's from Warren Harding, Massillon, and Mooney have a few questions for ya.
That was an outstanding Troy team and has been much talked about previously on here...But I agree that nobody was "rolling" through the teams you've mentioned. Whoever won it would have "earned it" to be sure. But Troy '71 was loaded...

A lot of people talk about the 1971 Steubenville Catholic Central team. They were undefeated and apparently voted #1 by everybody. Here is an article about them:

Their season included a win over Pittsburgh Central Catholic--a perennial powerhouse that has produce guys like Dan Marino and Marc Bulger.

Sorry, good as you were...10-0 Centerville was even better that year and also didn't get in. Only 2 teams per region left a lot of potential state champions on the sidelines. 1 per region was even worse. Just be glad your 2000 team never had to succumb to that heartache. :)
Agree. Three dominant defensive linemen, Pat Thomas (OSU), Matt Bradley (UCLA) and Doug Bradley (Vanderbilt) making life hard for opponents. Similar to 2000 Upper Arlington with Simon Fraser (OSU) and Tim Schaefer (OSU).

Last edited:
I'm sure they're have been plenty of times that over-scheduling has cost some teams the playoffs for sure; probably even some MAC teams; Would definitely need a refresher on specifics; I believe Mooney and Ursuline a couple of years ago over-scheduled big time and missed the playoffs.
2012 Cardinal Mooney went 3-6 in D 3 R 11. Played 6 D1 schools. Defeated D3 state champs St Vincent-St Mary by 26. Finished 19th in the region. STILL wouldn't have made the playoffs in todays format.

I mean anyone. Will always stand by that

I mean anyone. Will always stand by that
You can believe anything you want but no matter how much you think Troy was better won't make it true. Troy should have scheduled the perennial state powers every year then they would know one way or the other, Troy would have made the playoffs if they played a stronger schedule, it is their own fault they missed the playoffs. Incidentally Troy played mostly cupcakes this year outside of Piqua, and they got smoked by a 3 win Chaminade Julienne team as well.

You can believe anything you want but no matter how much you think Troy was better won't make it true. Troy should have scheduled the perennial state powers every year then they would know one way or the other, Troy would have made the playoffs if they played a stronger schedule, it is their own fault they missed the playoffs. Incidentally Troy played mostly cupcakes this year outside of Piqua, and they got smoked by a 3 win Chaminade Julienne team as well.
Sir, what in the world are you talking about ?

1. We’re talking about a Troy team from 50 years ago.

2. Troy did make the playoffs this year.

3. I never said this years Troy team is good. I’ve said all year they are not good.

4. You act like Troy can hand pick their schedule. They are in a conference. It’s not their fault it’s a weak one.
5. There was no playoff system in regards to the team we’re talkin about.

Finally, let's remember 2019.

In Ohio Division 5, Northwood High School finished ninth in their region. Their points were the 21st highest in Division 5. Teams with 7-3 records got in. They were rated 20th on Calpreps, while a team rated 60th was in.

In Ohio Division 6, Gibsonburg High School finished ninth in their region. Their points were the 22nd highest in Division 6. Two teams with 5-5 records and less points got in. They were rated 26th on Calpreps, while a team rated 52nd was in.

Northwood plays in the TAAC, which is a joke. There's no way they were actually top 20 in the division. They deserved better than missing the playoffs, but they likely lose round 1 anyway

Northwood plays in the TAAC, which is a joke. There's no way they were actually top 20 in the division. They deserved better than missing the playoffs, but they likely lose round 1 anyway
I think both Northwood and Gibsonburg were victims of having an 0-10 Woodmore on their non-league schedules. It’s a local game for both, so I can’t fault them for scheduling it, but if they both had a Toledo public on there like Woodward or Bowsher instead, they would have made the playoffs. With 16 now in each region (puke) there is no excuse for not scheduling a couple non-league tests every year.

Agree. Three dominant defensive linemen, Pat Thomas (OSU), Matt Bradley (UCLA) and Doug Bradley (Vanderbilt) making life hard for opponents. Similar to 2000 Upper Arlington with Simon Fraser (OSU) and Tim Schaefer (OSU).
With the exception of Colerain '04, former Elks coach Ron Ullery said '00 Upper Arlington was the best team he could remember his Elk teams locking horns with. He might have changed that assessment a bit after meeting '06 Don Bosco Prep, N.J. though.

Last edited:
1. We’re talking about a Troy team from 50 years ago.

2. Troy did make the playoffs this year.

3. I never said this years Troy team is good. I’ve said all year they are not good.

4. You act like Troy can hand pick their schedule. They are in a conference. It’s not their fault it’s a weak one.
5. There was no playoff system in regards to the team we’re talkin about.
1. Obviously
2. That is neither here nor there
3. I think you are the guy that has thought Troy would make noise in the playoffs recently in the past 5 years or so unless I am mistaking you for a different guy and if so I apologize.
4. But they can pick their schedule, a lot of schools like Massillon are independent and they can play whoever they want. You can either play a bunch of cupcakes in your league or you can have people respect your team for playing tough schedules year in and year out but you can't have both.
5. I thought 4 or 8 teams per classification made the playoffs back then. What was Troy AA?

Regardless the point being is I don't know who Troy played 50 years ago, but if it was a bunch of cupcakes from their league like is the case lately then how can you claim they were the best team in the state if they never played any of the top teams in the state.

I read that once before. That’s a heck of a team with a ton of talent. Definitely in the conversation of best teams in Ohio those years. There were other powerful teams in Ohio back then, as well, since Ohio was still enjoying its best era of HS football. From 1950 to 1980 you could stack Ohio football up with any state.

Youngstown Mooney and Youngstown Ursuline have played some ridiculous schedules over the years. They had some good teams that were out of the playoffs because of all their losses.

Pandora-Gilboa, in Division 7 Region 26, went 6-4. Their losses came to 4 teams who made the playoffs in Division 5, 6, and 7. Their records were 10-0, 5-5, 9-1, and 7-2. And realistically, they're probably better than 5 or 6 of the top 16 teams who did make it.
Won 6 games and couldnt finish in the top 16? That must've been a real murderers row they beat up on.

I read that once before. That’s a heck of a team with a ton of talent. Definitely in the conversation of best teams in Ohio those years. There were other powerful teams in Ohio back then, as well, since Ohio was still enjoying its best era of HS football. From 1950 to 1980 you could stack Ohio football up with any state.

I think you still could. The biggest change is that now there are "high school football factories."

2019 D6 was no joke at all. Region 23 might be the toughest to play through, but record wise went to Region 21. 4 undefeated teams, two 9-1 team, and two 8-2 teams. D6 was a gauntlet that year, it always is though.

Edit: I didn't remember Region 23 having everyone at 9-1, and Coldwater at 8-2. I think 23, and 21 were brutal to go through for anyone.
I never looked at how loaded Region 21 was that year…
Of course #1 Springfield went 14-0 before losing to a loaded Anna team that year, #3 Fort Frye and #5 Salineville Southern were undefeated, #4 Trimble allowed 6 points the entire regular season and won each regular season game by an average of 49-0 the rest of the region was at worst 8-2.

I never looked at how loaded Region 21 was that year…
Of course #1 Springfield went 14-0 before losing to a loaded Anna team that year, #3 Fort Frye and #5 Salineville Southern were undefeated, #4 Trimble allowed 6 points the entire regular season and won each regular season game by an average of 49-0 the rest of the region was at worst 8-2.
2018 R21 was just as loaded except with a different cast of characters. 10 teams with records of 8-2 or better.

The 2004 Beechcroft team has always interested me. 9-1, every win was a blow out. The one loss was to eventual D2 champion 15-0 Brookhaven (Beechcroft was D3). Beechcroft was the only team to come within 2 tds of Brookhaven that year.
But, their schedule was terrible and they only beat one team with a winning record to end up 9th by .21 points.
The 8 seed blanked the one seed that year, so who knows what could have been?