Best and worst uniforms in Ohio

BEAUTIFUL:
Last generation Delphos St. John's. Those polished deep royal blue helmets with strikingly vibrant yellow jerseys complemented each other so well with the added blue pants and matching tapered speed stripes on its helmet and jersey. That WAS DSJ's look for their 2000's dominance.
Si Magnifique!
McComb-Delphos-St-John-meeting.jpg

DIGUSTING:
Listen, I'm a homer. I love my alma mater, and I'll bleed purple till the day I die... But mother of all things holy, Fort Recovery's current uniform set is abhorrent and I loath them so much. Our school colors are Purple and White, and though some will disagree, I think it's a great color scheme. For some reason though whoever designs the uniforms is either too scared or not creative enough to use those colors. Instead, we half heartedly attempt an OSU look with silver helmets with a purple version of the OSU stripe (admittedly, I like the stripe). The Jersey itself isn't terrible, but then we get to the pants... those awful, terrible, no good pants. Not only are they boring (no stripe, only sporting an "FR" on the hip) but they are steel grey and it not just clashes, but utterly wrecks the whole cohesiveness of the kit. Grey was a fad color for sports uniforms in the early 2010's and we will continue to look stuck in that point in time until further notice. Unfortunately we won a state championship in them, so I hate to, probably correctly, assume we're locked into them for "Tradition" now. And if the life cycle is the same as the last uniforms for the Indians, we won't upgrade for another 20 years.
Rant over... for now.
new-bremen-fort-recovery-football-001_full.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta be honest, Uniontown Lakes are boring to me and I’m a lake fan. The alternates they have should be their primary. Those are sharp.

I think Massilon are cool. I the love the tiger logo and that they are Jordan brand is kinda cool even if it is a basketball thing

These things come and go with the trends. My school has had great uniforms
1660837304293.png

and abjectly terrible ones
1660837396652.png

Gray numbers on red uniforms are impossible to read from the stands.
1660837473741.png

Yo, these are pajamas.

My favorite uniform ever was Winton Woods in the mid-2000s. It was an all blue uniform with blue helmets, tasteful white and green numbers, and a thick black stripe down the side. I can't seem to find a picture.

I've thought Sycamore has always looked good no matter what combination they use.
1660837887473.png

1660837923233.png

1660837956075.png

1660838023516.png

I really like helmet stickers ("spirit stickers") or whatever teams call them. Always liked that look.

I really dislike when teams use the Green Bay "G" on their helmet. About as unoriginal as it gets.

As far as actual uniforms, wouldn't say I've seen many I'd call ugly. Bishop Sycamore was pretty bad lol. St Xavier has a classic look that I like.

As far as worst designs, I have always kind of felt for programs that have brown as a primary color.

It's a hard color to work with and make look sharp, no matter what approach you take IMHO.

The school I am most familiar with on this is North Bend Taylor, who, for most of their history, wore brown and gold uniforms. It was supposedly a nod to the rich brown soil from the Ohio River and the golden crops that grew in it. Their nickname is the Yellow Jackets and they have been using the Georgia Tech "Buzz" logo for as long as I can remember.

However, they transitioned over to black and gold at some point and have a much sharper look as a result.

in my area, i think Northmont has some outstanding uniforms. the green helmet pops with the all-white uniforms they wear, which have green accents.

Trotwood Madison has one of my favorite helmets: a white helmet with a red chrome ram horn bone decal.

as a homer pick, i love Greenon’s all white uniforms. always a great look when they roll them out, nothing flashy but a good mix of classic and modern.

as for ugly uniforms, where do I start?

Madison Plains has new yellow jerseys and they are atrocious.

as mentioned, Fort Recovery’s uniforms are almost as bad as it gets.

as for some that come to my mind
Ironton- classic look
Wheelersburg - simple look, like their alternate camo even if it is a bit dated
Athens - i like the color combo
Waverly - a bit biased here but they’ve branched out from traditional black and white which I like.
Portsmouth - my favorite red and blue even if that is a common color scheme

As far as worst designs, I have always kind of felt for programs that have brown as a primary color.

It's a hard color to work with and make look sharp, no matter what approach you take IMHO.

The school I am most familiar with on this is North Bend Taylor, who, for most of their history, wore brown and gold uniforms. It was supposedly a nod to the rich brown soil from the Ohio River and the golden crops that grew in it. Their nickname is the Yellow Jackets and they have been using the Georgia Tech "Buzz" logo for as long as I can remember.

However, they transitioned over to black and gold at some point and have a much sharper look as a result.
Put this design on any other color scheme and it's one of the best.
1660848161479.png

1660848647419.png

Always liked Lakota West. Not sure if this is still the 2022 version, but I liked this the best.

Something about the slick whites pick central wears. A hint of Penn st with a little sugar.

Attachments

• 104693.jpeg
    104693.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 19
Anyone remember the old Mingo Junction uniforms( before consolidating with Indian Creek)? Basic white...looked like Penn State.

Not a fan of uniforms and logos that copy off college and NFL looks i.e Wisconsin W and Green Bay/Georgia G helmets.

Two of the worst are the all red that McKinley sometimes wears and the all orange that Massillon sometimes wears. Both are hideous to me.
For the record, I am a die hard Massillon fan.

As a McKinley fan uniforms don't mean much to me but I agree with Benchboss1 on his take but I admit as far as helmets the big M on the front of the Massillons helmets during a few years of the 80's were extremely intimidating and pretty cool looking IMO.