Benedictine Basketball 2021-2022

Jocko Podcast

A new era of Bengal basketball begins. I'm excited to see what Coach Salata and his new staff can build. He has a system-based approach that should quickly pay dividends. With continued growth, this team could be very dangerous by the time post-season play begins. Share your thoughts here.

Just.here

How good is Benedictine this year ?
Talent wise they’re not that good. But they’re a well coached team that should be able to put together a handful wins especially later in the year. They’re extremely young. Only 2 seniors really play and 4 sophomores provide the bulk of our scoring.

Jocko Podcast

This team is young but very well coached. With the amount of turnover on the roster, early season struggles were not unexpected. I'm taking the long view here. We'll no longer be reliant on one or two players to carry the team. The "we" over "me" approach will pay long-term dividends. It's going to be fun to watch this team develop and grow.

"We" over "me" will not win a state or even regional championship. It's already shown in "recruiting" with the least talented freshmen team I can remember and the number of people trying out declining. This coach salad guy better bring in better athletes or this hire will be worse than the other buddy-buddy Welo hire in football

Jocko Podcast

The head coaching vacancy was announced in the summer. Coach Salata and his staff joined the program so late in the year that the freshman class had already been set.

As for "we" vs. "me," there are plenty of programs statewide which have been very successful at the district and regional level without overwhelming individual talent. In fact, we've struggled against or lost to teams with inferior talent but better team play. We often would enter post-season games with vastly superior talent only to lose or just barely survive.

I'll give Coach Salata a few years to see what he can assemble. He's put the system in place. It's something we haven't had in years. He'll develop the current players and add talent to that system. As the current kids improve and he adds talent to the program, I'm very optimistic that they'll regularly compete for regional appearances. Once you're in the regionals, anything can happen unless you run into an absolutely loaded team. Perhaps before too long, that loaded team will be ours.

The Coach Welo references make no sense to me. Coach Welo's success or lack thereof at Benedictine will in no way affect Coach Salata's. There is no relationship between the two (no, the connections to St. Ignatius are not relevant). Furthermore, no one can argue that Coach Salata wasn't qualified for this job. He has an excellent resume and extensive experience. There's no reason for anyone to doubt this hire so early in his tenure. If you're not happy with him, you wouldn't be happy with anyone. Take the long view. Give the kids time to acclimate to the new system, and give Coach Salata and his staff time to build something. We all know the foundation for long-term success isn't built overnight.

The head coaching vacancy was announced in the summer. Coach Salata and his staff joined the program so late in the year that the freshman class had already been set.

As for "we" vs. "me," there are plenty of programs statewide which have been very successful at the district and regional level without overwhelming individual talent. In fact, we've struggled against or lost to teams with inferior talent but better team play. We often would enter post-season games with vastly superior talent only to lose or just barely survive.

I'll give Coach Salata a few years to see what he can assemble. He's put the system in place. It's something we haven't had in years. He'll develop the current players and add talent to that system. As the current kids improve and he adds talent to the program, I'm very optimistic that they'll regularly compete for regional appearances. Once you're in the regionals, anything can happen unless you run into an absolutely loaded team. Perhaps before too long, that loaded team will be ours.

The Coach Welo references make no sense to me. Coach Welo's success or lack thereof at Benedictine will in no way affect Coach Salata's. There is no relationship between the two (no, the connections to St. Ignatius are not relevant). Furthermore, no one can argue that Coach Salata wasn't qualified for this job. He has an excellent resume and extensive experience. There's no reason for anyone to doubt this hire so early in his tenure. If you're not happy with him, you wouldn't be happy with anyone. Take the long view. Give the kids time to acclimate to the new system, and give Coach Salata and his staff time to build something. We all know the foundation for long-term success isn't built overnight.
Welo was friends with Lorber, salad with ryzner, it's why they were hired.

As for "we" vs "me" I'd rather see Davin Zeigler dunk and drag his nuts across some kid's face who just got caught cheating on his Algebra 2 test than an offense being ran...

I have heard the Bengals will Honor coach O on Saturday vs Iggy. Hopefully the Bengals can pull of the win with him present... and get the victory vs the coach's son's school

Jocko Podcast

Again, who the coaches know is not relevant if they are qualified for the job. Coach Salata clearly is qualified for this job. He was an exceptional hire. The coaching fraternity is small and tight. Coaches naturally will develop relationships with ADs and school administrators. That's understood and expected, just as it is in most industries and professions.

As for dunks, yes they are entertaining. It's fun to watch a HS team throw a few down and fire up the crowd. But, given the choice, I'll take a bunch of Michael Woods' silky smooth jumpers on the way to another state final four appearance over watching a few high-flyers and another unexpectedly early playoff exit.

The Adam Schefter

Again, who the coaches know is not relevant if they are qualified for the job. Coach Salata clearly is qualified for this job. He was an exceptional hire. The coaching fraternity is small and tight. Coaches naturally will develop relationships with ADs and school administrators. That's understood and expected, just as it is in most industries and professions.

As for dunks, yes they are entertaining. It's fun to watch a HS team throw a few down and fire up the crowd. But, given the choice, I'll take a bunch of Michael Woods' silky smooth jumpers on the way to another state final four appearance over watching a few high-flyers and another unexpectedly early playoff exit.
I watched them play and they didn’t have a single dunk??

Arcy26

I remember playing them two years ago in, I believe, the district semis. They were well coached and almost pulled off the upset thanks to some great three point shooting and good defense. Sad to see where the program is at rn.

Jocko Podcast

Don't worry Arcy26. Don't expect the Bengals to stay down for long. There's an excellent staff running the program. We knew they'd need some time. Remember, the varsity relied heavily on the sophomore class. I anticipate a big step forward next season.