Ben Knostman/Tipp City Tippecanoe

What I remember most about CJ in the last 20 years was a play in 2014 where they were up by 4 with just a few seconds to play. Middletown Fenwick had the ball and called timeout to set up a triple screen play on the wing. The CJ defenders faught so hard to get through the screen they ran into the shooter who hit the three, and he knocked down both free throws giving him a five point play and the win. That kind of stuff takes alot of respect out of the program.

Another reason Alter stands out is their down years are no where near the lows CJ has had, or is that just my recollection?
So they called a foul for running into the shooter or simultaneously into a screener as the shooter was shooting. Cause there ain't no 5 point play involving shooter only.

So they called a foul for running into the shooter or simultaneously into a screener as the shooter was shooting. Cause there ain't no 5 point play involving shooter only.
They called the foul on hitting the shooter after the shot. Was an interesting call as it was a 1 and 1 instead of a basket and 1. I have seen it called that way a couple times in collegiate games but I don't ever recall another high school situation where they awarded a basket and two shots.

Technically, it would have been recorded in the scorer's book as a three with a separate one and one attempt.

The CJ coach argued it should have been an offensive player control foul since it was after the shot but he lost the argument.

Tipp falls to CJ 58-55 after leading by as many as 20.

Felt like a typical tournament game where you get a lead, then play not to lose, and... end up losing because you stopped playing any sort of offense.
44 points in the first half, the other team makes a tiny adjustment and all you can muster is 13 points in the entire second half? Missing 6 layups probably didn’t help. Unfortunate because I really think if Tipp had held on they’d be going to state. Congrats to CJ tho, that big man is the truth

I'd love to
They called the foul on hitting the shooter after the shot. Was an interesting call as it was a 1 and 1 instead of a basket and 1. I have seen it called that way a couple times in collegiate games but I don't ever recall another high school situation where they awarded a basket and two shots.

Technically, it would have been recorded in the scorer's book as a three with a separate one and one attempt.

The CJ coach argued it should have been an offensive player control foul since it was after the shot but he lost the argument.
I'd love to hear one of the refs here weigh in. I'll see if I can post our discussion there. Thanks.

I'd love to

I'd love to hear one of the refs here weigh in. I'll see if I can post our discussion there. Thanks.
I did I little research into such a call. In a game between Michigan and Ohio State there was one such play, but the shooter was not the one who shot the free throws. Same scenerio though, shot was in the air when the foul occurred, making the foul occuring during the same possession as the three point basket, thus a five point play.

My understanding is possession doesn't end until the ball either hits the rim or goes through it. That is why CJ was not levied with an offensive player control foul, the ball had not gone through the rim yet, so it was still Fenwicks possession.

44 points in the first half, the other team makes a tiny adjustment and all you can muster is 13 points in the entire second half? Missing 6 layups probably didn’t help. Unfortunate because I really think if Tipp had held on they’d be going to state. Congrats to CJ tho, that big man is the truth

For sure, props to CJ for battling all the way back. Tipp couldn't really stop Nauseef any time he got the ball around the basket, plus that freshman Powell... he's gonna be really good.

Feels like a lot of the same for Tipp with their athletics programs over the last 15ish years or so. There are so many teams in different sports at Tipp that are good enough to either get to the state level or maybe even win it all, but something happens before then where they fall short. Specifically I can think of boys basketball in 2006, 2007, and this year, girls basketball on numerous occasions, namely this year, baseball at least 3 or 4 times, girls golf finished as runner up at state by one stroke one time, football in 2013 was a 4th quarter fumble (in the red zone down only 6) return for a TD away from having a shot of knocking off Trotwood and maybe making a run to the title game, volleyball this year and last, but also from around 2007-2010, girls soccer a few times, etc.

Boys soccer finally broke through the glass ceiling the last couple of seasons, and boys cross country was able to win state in 2014 after coming close plenty of times almost every year from 2009 to 2013, but in a lot of other sports, Tipp seems to run into a wall somewhere despite having teams that are definitely "good enough".

Though with this year's boys basketball team, I feel like, although making a run to the state title game could've been a possibility (as there isn't a dominant team on this side of the bracket), whoever makes it out is destined to lose to in the title game to whoever comes out of the other side (namely looking at how dominant SVSM is, or potentially Lima Shawnee or Buchtel since they're also both very strong)

Yes, I had it correct. Same player who took shot was fouled after the shot. Team was in double bonus, thus 5 point play. The only thing I had different was I said 1/1, parent said double bonus. Either way 5 points.

Were there scheduling restrictions for the MVL? I see you guys only played league opponents until Mason. Not saying you guys weren’t capable of going to state but it didn’t seem like you played many great teams this year.

What I remember most about CJ in the last 20 years was a play in 2014 where they were up by 4 with just a few seconds to play. Middletown Fenwick had the ball and called timeout to set up a triple screen play on the wing. The CJ defenders faught so hard to get through the screen they ran into the shooter who hit the three, and he knocked down both free throws giving him a five point play and the win. That kind of stuff takes alot of respect out of the program.

Another reason Alter stands out is their down years are no where near the lows CJ has had, or is that just my recollection?

I'm not sure why that play takes "a lot" of respect out of the program.

I've known coach Toohey for a long time. He is a great guy who taught those boys a lot more than basketball. His response to the reporter at halftime was priceless. The guy asked him what was working for them. Toohey's response was, "Everything." Sadly, not much worked in the second half. The decision to put the super athletic kid on Knostman completely shut down their offense.

Were there scheduling restrictions for the MVL? I see you guys only played league opponents until Mason. Not saying you guys weren’t capable of going to state but it didn’t seem like you played many great teams this year.
MVL is a league full of teams who would rather have 17-18 wins then to go play tough comp. Football makes them play 8 or 9 lg game schedule and basketball makes them play everyone twice

I'm not sure why that play takes "a lot" of respect out of the program.
I’m not saying I don’t respect the program. I think you guys had a great team this year. I just don’t understand it. I guess part of it could be COVID but if you know you’re gonna have a strong team going into the year, go out and schedule some tough non-conference games. You may sacrifice some wins from that 20 win season but it helps in long run to build a battle tested team once you’re in the tournament.

Yes, to start the season the plan was to play only conference games. As cancellations became frequent, they let teams schedule some additional non-conference games to end the season.