Bearcats basketball 2020-2021

One of the most bizarre seasons of Bearcat basketball in recent memory. Congrats to Brannen and the team though.

Well that was nice. With how this season started, playing for the championship with a chance at the tourney makes this season a win. Hopefully Keith can play tomorrow.

CD8CC12B-113B-40C9-BD4E-6D08F0B50FB6.jpeg

Well that was nice. With how this season started, playing for the championship with a chance at the tourney makes this season a win. Hopefully Keith can play tomorrow.
Does anybody know if Keith's malady is mental or physical? We've had 5 guys opt out, 2 guys opt back in, and now a guy opt out in the middle of a game.....What a year!!!

Fun to have so many fans of bubble teams around the country watching this game today while rooting against UC

Would be amazing to win and piss them all off, especially after losing by a million to Houston three weeks ago

Chris Vogt is the most frustrating player in program history imo, and it's not particularly close.
I will not be sad to see him go.

That was just men against boys today. Houston is very senior/junior heavy and UC is too young to keep up. Time to hit the transfer market hard. Desperately need an athletic 5.

Lost bad again but Houston's just on a different level. This run to end the year was especially encouraging by the young guys on the team. I'm not sure next year will be a standard UC year but when the current freshmen/sophomores are juniors/seniors, they should be a force.

I think Harvey is gone for sure, not sure what to expect from Gabe Madsen. Really, really hope Brannan doesn't allow Vogt to come back. I'd rather play small ball than watch him play another year.

Looks like Gabe Madsen and Mike Saunders are officially in the portal. Harvey seems almost assured to join next. Oof.

I'm trying not to overreact yet and let things play out. If it stays at just Saunders and Madsen(we already knew Harvey would be gone), then we may be ok. If any one of or a combination of Eason, Mason Madsen, MAW etc leave then the program is in serious trouble.

We may need Vogt back next year after all....lol

Capture.PNG

Glad Brannen did absolutely nothing for 2021 recruiting. Instead of having 2-3 spots to fill they will have 6-8. So going into year 3 half the team will be newcomers. That's not a recipe for success...

There's no coming back from this for Brannen. No transfer with any sort of dignity or HS recruit with any legitimate prospects will want to play for a coach that drove away as many players as he has these past two years.

There's no coming back from this for Brannen. No transfer with any sort of dignity or HS recruit with any legitimate prospects will want to play for a coach that drove away as many players as he has these past two years.
It's certainly not looking good. With this much roster turnover going into year 3 we are looking at at least another 2-3 years to get things going. UC fans won't accept that, nor should they.

Need to get Pat Kelsey before Xavier fires Steele and gets him. This is unacceptable

Unfortunately it'll probably be another year at least before changes are made

Need to get Pat Kelsey before Xavier fires Steele and gets him. This is unacceptable

Unfortunately it'll probably be another year at least before changes are made
Only thing that would worry me about Kelsey is him bolting for X when the job comes open. With Steele's performance you have to imagine that's sooner rather than later.

So why do players hate playing for Brannen so much? I haven't heard anything about him being abusive or anything like that. Is he just terrible at managing personalities?

Only thing that would worry me about Kelsey is him bolting for X when the job comes open. With Steele's performance you have to imagine that's sooner rather than later.
I would also hate having an XU alum as head coach. But he's ther best guy out there right now imo

Might not be a bad thing to have a non-local head coach for the first time in 16 years. Try something different, idk.

I would also hate having an XU alum as head coach. But he's ther best guy out there right now imo

Might not be a bad thing to have a non-local head coach for the first time in 16 years. Try something different, idk.

See if Matta has any interest in coaching again. Can't hurt to try. Maybe a guy like Erik Martin gets considered? Former UC player who has coached under Huggins since Kansas State. Wes Miller at UNCG? Some will clamor for Pitino but it just ain't happening. UC's president had to clean up his mess after Louisville.

So why do players hate playing for Brannen so much? I haven't heard anything about him being abusive or anything like that. Is he just terrible at managing personalities?
All I've heard is just rumors on various forums. Has trouble relating to players, hasn't been the same since his father died, didn't keep promises he made to players. These have all been thrown around but nothing substantiated yet. It doesn't sound like anything abusive like what happened at Wichita.

Give the job to Winthrop's coach: Pat Kelsey. Cincy Native. Elder/XU guy. OR Rick Pitino, let him get the program back to the promise land.

Frank Martin may be starting to tread on thin ice at South Carolina, which I'd say mostly has to do with unrealistic year-to-year expectations. That's someone I would keep in mind if I were UC. I could see him being interested in an out at South Carolina and having interest in getting to a basketball school that's better positioned for consistent success.

Frank Martin may be starting to tread on thin ice at South Carolina, which I'd say mostly has to do with unrealistic year-to-year expectations. That's someone I would keep in mind if I were UC. I could see him being interested in an out at South Carolina and having interest in getting to a basketball school that's better positioned for consistent success.
Apparently Martin was close to coming here before. After Mick left Martin was Bohn's(previous AD) first choice. Not sure what the details are on why it didn't work out though. You think he'd do well here? I don't know much about him other than his year to year results.

Last edited: