Baseball double plays. What do you call it?

Thavoice

*Turn a double play.
*Roll a double play.
*Turn two
*Twist a double play.
*OTHER: Please specify.

Last edited:

So no one here calls it Twist one or something regarding twist?

Good.

Hear it from time to time, mostly from city folk, and it just sounds very.........,um.........dumb.

Former Pittsburgh Pirates announcer, Bob Prince, called a double play a "Hoover", in reference to the vacuum's ability to clean things up.

Remember it well: ...." we sucked them off the base paths ..."

And a "bug on the rug" was a liner into the outfield gap on the astro-turf .........

Remember it well: ...." we sucked them off the base paths ..."

And a "bug on the rug" was a liner into the outfield gap on the astro-turf .........
The Gunner was one of a kind with his "tweener", "kiss it goodbye", and “spread some chicken on the Hill with Will” sayings.

Oh, the days of time gone by. ?

“spread some chicken on the Hill with Will”

???
Interpretation?
"CHICKEN ON THE HILL" - A home run for Willie Stargell, begun by the fact that Stargell owned a chicken restaurant in Pittsburgh's Hill District and that whenever he homered, the person at the counter would get free chicken. Thus, Prince would say, "We need a homer here. Come on, Willie, spread some Chicken on the Hill." In one particular game, Prince said that if Stargell hit a home run, everybody in the restaurant would get free chicken. Stargell did hit the home run, everyone got free chicken, and Stargell sent the bill to Prince.

This is from a list of Bob Prince's "Gunnerisms.'

Turn two.

With that in mind, I can think of one instance where twist may be applicable in a figurative sense since I watched it with my own eyes at a HS game this spring: a 1-2-3-2 triple play. The "twist" being the necks of the kids who were the second and third outs after the coach was done with them.

Never in my life until this thread have I heard the phrase “twist a double play.”

Sometimes if I’m watching a game and have a rooting interest, I’ll still use Hawk Harrelson’s old expression, “Rack ‘em up!” when the team I’m rooting for turns two.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Never in my life until this thread have I heard the phrase “twist a double play.”

Sometimes if I’m watching a game and have a rooting interest, I’ll still use Hawk Harrelson’s old expression, “Rack ‘em up!” when the team I’m rooting for turns two.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
I hear it from some rich folks on these travel teams, and a local guy whom I question his baseball aptitude.