B1G Media Rights

Great deal. A little far off the projected $100m, but still amazing deal for the Big Ten. They’ll be re-upping a second contract on their mega deal before the SEC and ESPN renew. If they ever do move to a school pays the players model, the Big 10 will have a huge jump on the rest of the country.

Surely if they plan to expand there is a clause for increased payout. Otherwise you’re taking pretty good cuts into the payout. I would have thought any additional expansion would take place before a new deal.
Also when players start getting a piece of the $ pie they will be better positioned to hand out the checks.

The Regents of the University of California are meeting to discuss if they should have UCLA pull out of their move to the B1G, believe it or not they have the power to make this happen. For UCLA it would be an incredibly dumb move as this gets the school's athletics department out of debt, some talking heads out west are thinking they are angling to get Cal the same deal.

That makes sense, and Cal getting in on it would likely have the rest ringing the Big Ten off the hook

I would like to hear broadcast teams for CBS and NBC before I get too excited about any of this. Lol.
Stewart Mandel is reporting that CBS said it is their intention to morph the current SEC football broadcast and prodcution teams into Big Ten Games.

Doubt NBC goes with Tirico as he is now the voice of NFL Sunday Football. My guess is they try to get a big name with a B1G/LA background or an up and coming younger on air personality.

May be a dumb question, but I am going to ask it anyway. Does that 1 billion include the money they make from the Big Ten network (of Which Fox owns 61% of, didn't know that until today)? Or is the money from the Big Ten Network a whole different pot of money they get??

May be a dumb question, but I am going to ask it anyway. Does that 1 billion include the money they make from the Big Ten network (of Which Fox owns 61% of, didn't know that until today)? Or is the money from the Big Ten Network a whole different pot of money they get??
Same pot. Not a big revenue generator.

I also just head that CBS is toying with the idea of have B1G hoops games on mid week. I wonder what would drive bigger ratings, IU v Michigan basketball or Young Sheldon repeats?

Same pot. Not a big revenue generator.

I also just head that CBS is toying with the idea of have B1G hoops games on mid week. I wonder what would drive bigger ratings, IU v Michigan basketball or Young Sheldon repeats?
There have been basketball games on mid week for decades???

There have been basketball games on mid week for decades???
On one of the 4 over the air networks? ABC does some NBA mid week in late winter/spring but I cannot think of anyone doing NCAA.

Some may discount the over the air angle but the ratings reflect that there is a difference when the NBA is on ABC vs. ESPN or TNT.

This deal puts them in great position to not just get ahead financially now, but to also put away everyone not named the SEC when they renegotiate in 2030 ahead of other leagues, especially the ACC who's current crappy deal runs until 2036.

From multiple sources this deal has "escalators" built in for further expansion, i.e. any number of potential expansion candidates have already been definitively price tagged for if/when they are added. I would think that especially for Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Cal that the table has been set one way or another for them. If the answer is yes, it would seem likely to be very soon.

F talking expansion, that is inevitable for the B1G and the SEC and it is just a matter of time until there is a "West Wing" of the B1G. I think the conversation now officially moves to the other part of his on the record quote, paying the players. If the B1G is proactive they can really change the equation and my guess is the SEC follows quickly as their athletic business model requires them to have big football revenue and good players drive the product on the field.

F talking expansion, that is inevitable for the B1G and the SEC and it is just a matter of time until there is a "West Wing" of the B1G. I think the conversation now officially moves to the other part of his on the record quote, paying the players. If the B1G is proactive they can really change the equation and my guess is the SEC follows quickly as their athletic business model requires them to have big football revenue and good players drive the product on the field.
It is crazy to think about how rapid college football is changing in this regard but the B10 seems to be one step ahead of everyone else.