Ashtabula St. John joins NAC next year

BlackandGold

RollSide
Let's see if St. John can thrive long enough to make a long run in the NAC. They don't have a great history of sustaining conference affiliation due to low numbers, especially for football.

"The St. John football team joined the Northeastern Athletic Conference at the start of the 2020 season.

The Heralds’ other sports teams, except for wrestling and tennis, will be NAC members in the future.

On Monday, the NAC announced the St. John as its new member.

“St. John has been a valued partner and longtime friend of many of the members of our conference, and we’re excited to welcome them as full members,” the NAC announced in a statement.

“They will commence conference play with the 2022-2023 school year. Our conference plans on dividing into two divisions in certain sports for the 2022-2023 school year, as we have previously. The specifics of those divisions are still being finalized at this time.”

St. John athletic director and girls basketball coach Nick Iarocci is thrilled with the announcement.

“We’re super excited to be part of the NAC,” he said. “We’ve had great relationships with NAC schools. This makes sense enrollment-wise, competitiveness and travel. No school is more than 50 miles away.”

St. John boys basketball coach Curtis Turner said it’s been a long time coming.

“Being independent has its advantages, but there’s nothing like joining a well-established conference like the NAC,” he said. “It definitely gives our kids more exposure and opportunities to compete for awards.”

St. John volleyball coach Sarah Howe is thrilled to join the NAC.

“It is a natural fit for the volleyball team as we already have an established relationship with most of the teams in the conference,” she said. “We have always told our players they need to perform well when playing these schools since the majority of them are in our sectional/district.

“But now playing for a conference title, it adds a whole other dimension. I am excited to see how our girls respond.”

Current members of the NAC are Badger, Bloomfield, Bristol, Chalker, Fairport Harbor, Lordstown, Maplewood, Pymatuning Valley and Windham.

Badger, Bloomfield, Bristol, Lordstown and Maplewood don’t field football teams.

“I think the NAC is a cool, small conference,” Iarocci said.

Iarocci said the school’s tennis and wrestling teams will continue as independents. He added that the tier system will be a benefit for St. John.

“In basketball, we’ll play everyone on our side twice and the other side once,” he said. “That’s about 14 to 16 league games. We can still play our county schools in non-conference games.”

St. John has been independent since 2012.

“Our kids can compete for a conference title and receive all-conference recognition,” Iarocci said. “We feel this is a best of both worlds. There’s a tremendous amount of upside.”

NAC commissioner Pat Giuliano is glad to have St. John on board.

“We’re really happy to have the Heralds in the league,” he said. “I think there’s good competition across the board. It’s a good fit.”

The NAC will spread over four counties, including Ashtabula, Portage, Lake and Trumbull.

Giuliano said the timeline for establishing the tiers will probably be by August"

Someone forgot Mathews being a NAC member....
I didn't, but I thought maybe they had left for another league recently. That's good. At least they have six football playing schools in the NAC, and let's face it...schools like Edgewood, Jefferson, Conneaut and Grand Valley are not non-league opponents that would blow the doors completely off of SJ if they could get those schools on the schedule. Travel would be fairly easy and the competition wouldn't be overwhelming.

Jefferson and Edgewood seems to be in bad spots for their football programs, neither compete well, hard to build a program when you’re getting the doors blown off you.

Why don't Maplewood and maybe Badger and Bristol not have football? I understand Bloomfield- Mespo but aren't the others at least as large as St. John and Windham?

Jefferson and Edgewood seems to be in bad spots for their football programs, neither compete well, hard to build a program when you’re getting the doors blown off you.
The CVC is quickly becoming the hub for Ashtabula County schools. I think both schools would be ecstatic to be in a league with their county rivals, even if it means taking regular lumps in football. Every now and then, a competitive football team comes through both schools.

The CVC is quickly becoming the hub for Ashtabula County schools. I think both schools would be ecstatic to be in a league with their county rivals, even if it means taking regular lumps in football. Every now and then, a competitive football team comes through both schools.
I agree. Jefferson going all the way to mahoning county is rough

Someone forgot Mathews being a NAC member....
I was going to ask you about that Mathews99. That's a bit of a slap in the face when your own league doesn't even mention you in a press release.:unsure:☹️

This looks to be a good move at least from a scheduling perspective.

Es
I was going to ask you about that Mathews99. That's a bit of a slap in the face when your own league doesn't even mention you in a press release.:unsure:☹️

This looks to be a good move at least from a scheduling perspective.
Especially when St. John's has played Mathews in the regular season for a "number" of years.

Maplewood and Badger would be great to have football programs.... but they are soccer schools and the word football is seriously prohibited.

Mathews enrollment is crumbling, I give Coach Bohren a ton of credit and kudos to coming in and taking on a program that is barely standing on its own two feet. I have always been a person who believed Mathews should have never left the old Inter County League back in the early 2000's. It is what it is, but when Mathews started a soccer program back then, it really hit the whole football program. Then I used to complain about Mathews having to run around all up north playing Fairport, Lutheran East, Cleveland Central Catholic, Ledgemont, Ashtabula St. John's, Pymatuning Valley, Conneaut, and Western Reserve Academy... and I will complain now that whoever is in charge in the Mathews administration somehow for the 2nd year in a row, they cannot afford to give the kids 5 home games in front of their families, then running around southeastern Ohio for games against, vs Stuebenville Catholic Central, and Leetonia then making road trips down to Sebring, Richmond Edison, and then across the Ohio River to West Virginia to play Weirton Madonna.... then playing the NAC members, hell Mathews should be one of the most travelled teams this season... I hope for the best and try to be optimistic but right now the Mathews football program is fighting an uphill battle in about everyway...

Truth be told, Maplewood and Badger should be consolidated together, or both consolidated with Cortland. Bristol should be consolidated with Champion. Mathews should be consolidated with Howland. These tiny districts all over Ohio are wastes of resources in an antiquated model.

Consolidation has to be agreed upon, and Mathews has had discussions about splitting up and I believe it was with Liberty and Brookfield and nothing ever came about from it... I have watched Ledgemont and Newbury get absorbed by other districts up in Geauga County but both of those were agreed on from both sides....

Consolidation has to be agreed upon, and Mathews has had discussions about splitting up and I believe it was with Liberty and Brookfield and nothing ever came about from it... I have watched Ledgemont and Newbury get absorbed by other districts up in Geauga County but both of those were agreed on from both sides....
Logical move to have Brookfield and matthews together.

Maplewood and Badger would be great to have football programs.... but they are soccer schools and the word football is seriously prohibited.

Mathews enrollment is crumbling, I give Coach Bohren a ton of credit and kudos to coming in and taking on a program that is barely standing on its own two feet. I have always been a person who believed Mathews should have never left the old Inter County League back in the early 2000's. It is what it is, but when Mathews started a soccer program back then, it really hit the whole football program. Then I used to complain about Mathews having to run around all up north playing Fairport, Lutheran East, Cleveland Central Catholic, Ledgemont, Ashtabula St. John's, Pymatuning Valley, Conneaut, and Western Reserve Academy... and I will complain now that whoever is in charge in the Mathews administration somehow for the 2nd year in a row, they cannot afford to give the kids 5 home games in front of their families, then running around southeastern Ohio for games against, vs Stuebenville Catholic Central, and Leetonia then making road trips down to Sebring, Richmond Edison, and then across the Ohio River to West Virginia to play Weirton Madonna.... then playing the NAC members, hell Mathews should be one of the most travelled teams this season... I hope for the best and try to be optimistic but right now the Mathews football program is fighting an uphill battle in about everyway...
Rumor from a friend stated that the starting Quarterback for the last two years has transferred. I also think that Bohren is in for a "real treat." From the schedule "Mathews99" has stated, 2, or maybe 3 wins for 2021. What does Bohren need to reach 300. Is it 5? If so? Good Luck...

Rumor from a friend stated that the starting Quarterback for the last two years has transferred. I also think that Bohren is in for a "real treat." From the schedule "Mathews99" has stated, 2, or maybe 3 wins for 2021. What does Bohren need to reach 300. Is it 5? If so? Good Luck...
Either way I am looking forward to football season, before Covid I had not missed a Mathews home game in over 10 years...

St. John in but Fairport may be out for football. First season in 100 years.

“Fairport football coach Cameron Ruff told The News-Herald on Aug. 9 he submitted his resignation that afternoon.
The core of the concern, according to Ruff, is a roster numbers issue that has and will affect the Skippers’ ability to field a team in 2021.
For practice earlier that day, Ruff noted, nine players participated.”

The article says last year the team had 24 players from grades 9-11. Not counting any potential incoming 9th graders. Also they had a winning record last year. Seems like changing to the NAC they had a decent shot of winning more games than the CVC. With Southington and Windham struggling with numbers ( Southington already cancelled the 1st five games) could it be the beginning of the end of the NAC sponsoring football?

I believe these schools have decent soccer programs.
Moreover, football is very expensive to start a new program. The NAC should start another tier for the conference. Especially for football. Grand Valley, Py.Valley, Edgewood, and Jefferson could get involved into. Py. Valley is too strong of a school to compete in the NAC as it is. Moreover, the NAC for football might be in trouble with the low numbers at the majority of schools.

The NAC should have 2 Tiers for football:

Tier 1
Py. Valley
Jefferson
Grand Valley
Edgewood
Conneaut

Tier 2
Mathews
Windham
St. John's
Chalker
Fairport

Conneaut plays in a Pa. league with really nowhere else to go. Jefferson and Grand Valley have a difficult time competing in their league. Py. Valley in the NAC "sleeps, and win" easily. Don't know much about Edgewood. All 5 schools "year in, and year out" is a mystery if they will have enough kids for football. Each school can schedule up or down. All 10 schools geographically, are located in northeast Ohio.

Last edited: