Are you a true West Sider??

Has anyone tried Strongs in Newport or Lawrenceburg?
It’s been a couple years now but I had two different experiences at the Newport location. First time I went it was incredible. I was convinced this was going to be my new favorite pizza spot in the tri county area and I’d get it frequently. Second time it was very average. I started talking to people about and they reported thinking it was average too. Not bad by any means, but way off the mark on my first impression of it. I haven’t had it since, too many other places of good enough quality or better that are closer.

welp -

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 4.52.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 4.52.34 PM.png
    933.7 KB · Views: 49
Hate to lose Trotta's. And as announced Sebastian's will be closing or is closed. I have not passed by their recently. 2 i and good food options on the west side ending.

On another note has anyone been to Price Hill Chili recently. I stopped going about 4 months ago. After about 5 takes outs with sub standard food and poor customer service I took a break.

I was hoping they get back to their high standard as a staple on the west side.

Hate to lose Trotta's. And as announced Sebastian's will be closing or is closed. I have not passed by their recently. 2 i and good food options on the west side ending.

On another note has anyone been to Price Hill Chili recently. I stopped going about 4 months ago. After about 5 takes outs with sub standard food and poor customer service I took a break.

I was hoping they get back to their high standard as a staple on the west side.
I don’t know of almost ANY restaurant that’s back to their pre-pandemic standard. Not sure why PH chili would be any different.

The quality of the food at all Larosas has gone downhill the last few years imo. With many other options now available, I believe Larosas Pizza is the worst of the bunch.
No sir. Marcos,Jets and last but not least Trottas have way better pizza!
Most here agree that there are better chain pizza joints but do you now agree that LaRosas is certainly not the “worst of the bunch”?

Most here agree that there are better chain pizza joints but do you now agree that LaRosas is certainly not the “worst of the bunch”?

Honestly I do think LaRosa's is the worst. Now I still get it at times because I always have at least 2 Buddy cards and I respect the hell out of Buddy and his fundraising and donations to local high school sports.

When my kids were young I was absolutely sick of LaRosa’s because it seemed like we had it constantly. We took a year off of LaRosas when the kids were all gone and when we came back to it it really tasted good. I’m not going to say tha LaRosas isn’t suffering from some of the same post COVID inconsistencies as every other restaurant but in my opinion it is far from the worst pizza chain in the Cincinnati area. There are better and there are far worse. We are lucky to have so many pizza options to choose from, there are only one or two I will absolutely not eat (I’ll keep those to myself because it’s a matter of personal taste).

Honestly I do think LaRosa's is the worst. Now I still get it at times because I always have at least 2 Buddy cards and I respect the hell out of Buddy and his fundraising and donations to local high school sports.
Agreed. Buddy is an awesome guy and a pillar of the community, but the pizza is terrible now.

Beat me to it

Hopefully the place doesn't get bulldozed for a gas station or mattress store.
At that price, looks to me like the listing is to buy the business and the structure, so I would assume a new operator would get all of the recipes, ovens, etc. I guess if no one wants the business, someone could buy the structure and tear it down for something else.

Even with that, I would guess someone would be willing to buy the Trotta's recipes to continue it elsewhere. It's popular pizza where someone could make some money.

At that price, looks to me like the listing is to buy the business and the structure, so I would assume a new operator would get all of the recipes, ovens, etc. I guess if no one wants the business, someone could buy the structure and tear it down for something else.

Even with that, I would guess someone would be willing to buy the Trotta's recipes to continue it elsewhere. It's popular pizza where someone could make some money.
The listing on LoopNet says it include "All Licenses, furniture, fixtures and equipment" and "Includes an event and festival trailer valued at $90,000."

The listing on LoopNet says it include "All Licenses, furniture, fixtures and equipment" and "Includes an event and festival trailer valued at $90,000."

Didn't Trotta's go out of biz once before then come back?

The Business Courier has a bit more information:
Officials from Trotta's were unavailable to comment Monday, referring all questions to their real estate agent, Rick Louallen. Louallen, a real estate agent with Coldwell Banker Realty, said Trotta's owner decided to sell in order to retire and the business remains profitable. Interest in the space, Louallen said, is high with six to 10 viable buyers waiting on more financial information in order to look at a deal.

OK. I respect your opinion and understand your issues with LaRosas but if a LaRosas meat lovers was sitting on a table next to a Dominos and a Little Caesar’s I can’t imagine not picking LaRosas. Peace brother.
I will agree that LaRosas Meat Lover pizza is by far the better option here.

But if we're talking just plain cheese, eh, LaRosas just a tad better than those you mention.

Last edited:
Yeah there used to be like 5 locations in the late 80's. I was only a kid but I feel like I remember hearing something about legal issues or a falling out among the brothers but no idea what really happened. Getting a lotta trotta at someone's birthday or a sleepover was considered an amazing thing amongst my friends.

Hamilton County is going to hand out a few million in Community Revitalization Grants and three West Side communities had projects chosen for funding:
  • Cheviot: Façade improvement program for commercial property along Harrison Ave. Requested: $328,000; recommended to receive: $150,000
  • Delhi: Demolition and new construction of 90,000-square foot mixed use building to include a fitness center, township offices, rec center, pre-k classrooms, and public plaza. Requested: $1 million; recommended to receive: $600,000
  • North Bend: Site acquisition and funding to construct a riverfront park connecting with the Harrison tomb site. Requested: $400,000; recommended to receive: $400,000
Additionally,
Cheviot is recommended to get $25,000 to do some additional planning related to a portion of the Harrison Ave. rehabilitation plan.

This is worrisome:
'They want to make everybody a renter': How real estate investors are changing Cincinnati

Of course these “investors” are targeting West Price Hill. And when the returns fall below what these “investors” expect they will just let these properties rot without putting a cent into them. I think this is starting to happen in Delhi too.

This is worrisome:
'They want to make everybody a renter': How real estate investors are changing Cincinnati

Of course these “investors” are targeting West Price Hill. And when the returns fall below what these “investors” expect they will just let these properties rot without putting a cent into them. I think this is starting to happen in Delhi too.
Sadly, as long as interest rates and inflation continue to rise, landlords know their renters are stuck, so they raise rents.

There are a ton of stories all over the country where equity firms and wealthy individuals are buying up a ton of single family homes to do the same thing. It's happening everywhere.

Similar to Bill Gates just continuing to scoop up farmland across the country.

Sadly, as long as interest rates and inflation continue to rise, landlords know their renters are stuck, so they raise rents.

There are a ton of stories all over the country where equity firms and wealthy individuals are buying up a ton of single family homes to do the same thing. It's happening everywhere.

Similar to Bill Gates just continuing to scoop up farmland across the country.
Very true and very sad. The firms especially are outbidding most buyers with cash. I cant say I blame sellers, but this is going to get worse if we see a bubble burst like in 08.

Very true and very sad. The firms especially are outbidding most buyers with cash. I cant say I blame sellers, but this is going to get worse if we see a bubble burst like in 08.
There are some similarities to ‘08 for sure. ‘08 was caused by lending large sums of money to people who couldn’t pay and the loans were not backed by assets that could cover the loan. Then they packaged those loans and sold them to investors that didn’t do their homework and got badly burned. This could be similar if these investors are over paying for and/or over improving their rental properties to the point the rental market can no longer support the investment. Like ‘08 these things will be packaged and sold off, this time in REITs. This time evictions will send the signals that foreclosures sent in ‘08. It could get really ugly.

There are some similarities to ‘08 for sure. ‘08 was caused by lending large sums of money to people who couldn’t pay and the loans were not backed by assets that could cover the loan. Then they packaged those loans and sold them to investors that didn’t do their homework and got badly burned. This could be similar if these investors are over paying for and/or over improving their rental properties to the point the rental market can no longer support the investment. Like ‘08 these things will be packaged and sold off, this time in REITs. This time evictions will send the signals that foreclosures sent in ‘08. It could get really ugly.
I agree with everything you said.

My point that I didn't clearly articulate is if we have crazy amounts of foreclosures like in 08 (which I think we will, too many people WAY overpaid for homes), the corporations will swoop in and gobble them all up before traditional homeowners can get them. This will make even more people rent-dependent in urban metro areas.

The first people to be hurt by the looming recession will be renters which, unless the government intervenes again, will lead to evictions. And there wont be a long line of people who will be able to afford the higher rents needed to support the investment made in these properties. I’m telling you evictions in mid-size to large cities are the numbers that will foretell the next real estate bubble bursting.

I agree with everything you said.

My point that I didn't clearly articulate is if we have crazy amounts of foreclosures like in 08 (which I think we will, too many people WAY overpaid for homes), the corporations will swoop in and gobble them all up before traditional homeowners can get them. This will make even more people rent-dependent in urban metro areas.
And I do understand your point about overpaying for houses but to my knowledge lending standard weren’t compromised to accommodate housing sales, the lower interest rates allowed for the higher prices to be affordable to more borrowers. We will have to wait and see how deep this recession goes, these things all tend to feed off each other. With a presidential election coming you can bet the Democrats will do everything they can to reverse the recession (in reality they could make things worse with some of their proposed policies).