Are you a true West Sider??

I think you are on to something. Did FX Fitness own the building, or was the space leased to them? I think that gym used to be called Ballys? If the building is privately own, did they really just kick out a long, long time tenant for a storage company? Is the storage business that strong that they are able to give the landlord that much confidence over a gym that's been around forever on the westside? It all seems pretty strange. I do get the gym could have been struggling due to the pandemic. Seems like a strange time to shut down when everything has now opened back up thanks to the vaccines.

Things just don't add up here. The other strange part is it just shut down randomly on a Thursday according to the article with employees and gym members not given any notice.
Property/Business owners can have any kind of legal business they so choose. The Toys r Us storage place looks like they make good money from their business.

Property/Business owners can have any kind of legal business they so choose. The Toys r Us storage place looks like they make good money from their business.

Correct. Just seems odd, especially with so many storage facilities in the area or coming in. Toys r Us was a dying business, because of Amazon. People will always go to gyms, or at least pay for a gym membership but not use it.

New homes on the way in Price Hill​

Much of Over-the-Rhine has been remade, the Cincinnati riverfront has been revitalized and now Price Hill is starting to think its time could soon arrive.

There was some groundwork for a neighborhood renaissance laid years ago. Now, new single-family home construction is in the works.

After decades of deterioration and decline, Price Hill brims with captivating views and potential.

Don Johnson of Cutler Real Estate walked around his old stomping grounds Friday to show us some of it.

"From this property we're going to have four and on the other side we're going to have six townhouses," he pointed out at the far southern end of Grand Avenue.

Dozens of infill lots like the one at Mt. Hope have been bought up for market-rate housing.
You heard that right. The market seems to be light-years from where it was just a few summers ago when properties could be had for $40,000 and $50,000.

"It's a whole different market over here now," Johnson said. "It really picked up momentum."

He grew up around here as an Elder grad and handles sales and marketing for the homebuilder, who also grew up around here as an Elder grad.

Kim Knoppe made his mark in Columbus and came back to find lots of empty lots and no plan beyond tear downs.

"And it just struck me that what that area needed was new home construction, something that would lift the entire neighborhood up," Knoppe told us during an interview today.

Correct. Just seems odd, especially with so many storage facilities in the area or coming in. Toys r Us was a dying business, because of Amazon. People will always go to gyms, or at least pay for a gym membership but not use it.
I never thought I would need a storage unit, but five adult kids, two in college, with all of the back and forth and moving in and out, made renting one necessary. Once they are all "out" I look forward to not renting one. They pick up their stuff or it gets tossed.

Good news for the westside and kudos for the Men of Elder. The reference to the work of Elder students is towards the end of the article.

Ms. Bazely is treasure to the westside.

Thanks for the heads up. This is desperately needed in Price Hill and I believe the time is ripe for this type of development. A big thank you is in order for those Elder grads that are helping with the revitalization of East and West Price Hill. At the top of the list has to be Kim Knoppe who is spearheading this effort and people like Don Johnson who have been working towards this for decades.

Last edited:
Posted this on the Kim Knoppe thread. But worth repeating.

Groundbreaking today with the new development in East Price Hill spearheaded by Kim Knoppe. A big investment in Price Hill. Great for the community. Thanks again to Kim on his faith in Elder and Price Hill.

Here is the article from this morning:
A local developer has plans to boost redevelopment in East Price Hill's Incline District, beginning with the construction of over two dozen single-family homes.

The homes will be within eight blocks of each other and are estimated to be in the $400,000 price range, according to a recent release by Autumnwood Group.

Kim Knoppe, home builder and Cincinnati native, will host a groundbreaking ceremony at 2 p.m. today at 658 Hawthorne Avenue. Knoppe said he wanted to create a "wonderful single-family community" that would raise local home values and motivate young people to remain in the area.

In the release, Knoppe described the project as "something that would lift up the entire neighborhood.”

According to a news release the new construction includes plans for:
  • A gated community at Price and Mt. Hope Avenues which will include eight, single-family homes featuring rear-loaded two-car garages, wood and beam ceilings, and some rooftop terraces;
  • Ten single-family, three-floor homes at the end of Grand Avenue in Cityscape, which will include wood and beam ceilings and rooftop terraces;
  • Eight three-story homes within Price, Chateau and Summit Avenues. These three-bedroom houses will include 2 ½ baths, a two-car tandem garage, and wood and beam ceilings in the kitchen and living room;
  • Two a three-story condo building with elevators and rooftop terraces with a view of the city and Ohio River at the end of Grand Avenue; and
  • A 2,700 square foot, single-family home on West Eighth near the Incline Public House which will include three bedrooms, two baths, wood and beam ceilings, elevator and rooftop terrace with a view of the city and the Ohio River.
Like many neighborhoods in Cincinnati, the Price Hill area has been trying to raise home values for years since recession-era losses resulted in foreclosures. East Price Hill's Incline District specifically has inspired other redevelopment projects like the live-work dwellings by developer KB Partners, which aimed to attract entrepreneurs and artists to the area in 2016.

Knoppe has bought 76 lots with plans to buy more.

"I can’t tell you what a warm feeling it gives me to be able to go into my old neighborhood and build all of these homes within blocks of where I was born," Knoppe said in the release.

Mr. Knoppe deserves a huge Shout Out! I think it’s just absolutely awesome that he is combining his business acumen with his vision and love for the area.

It looks like many/most/all of the properties Knoppe has acquired are vacant lots.
That won't matter, they will want equal if not more "affordable" units going in. And God help him if there are any tax incentives involved. Maybe he has learned how to deal with these activist types while building his business in the Columbus area, I know this isn't his first rodeo.

That won't matter, they will want equal if not more "affordable" units going in. And God help him if there are any tax incentives involved. Maybe he has learned how to deal with these activist types while building his business in the Columbus area, I know this isn't his first rodeo.
Correct. It won’t matter. They will say the new construction raises everyone’s property values and results in higher taxes and higher rents. There is no appeasing these loonies.

Correct. It won’t matter. They will say the new construction raises everyone’s property values and results in higher taxes and higher rents. There is no appeasing these loonies.
Definitely no appeasing the loonies! Groundbreaking was yesterday but I haven’t heard of any loonies fussing about this project leading up to yesterday. I easily could have missed such fussing. The loonies could start fussing now but it’s already too late?

I’m willing to bet many of those “activists” don’t even live in these neighborhoods. It’s usually grifters looking for publicity/payout or upper middle class people who want to play the role of community savior.

St. Lawrence or AoC allowed to legally comment on this matter as it currently stands?
I don't know, but I would assume so since it's public info now.

I do know from those still heavily involved in the parish that neither Father Watkins nor Mr. Klus wanted to let Archdiocese auditors in to actually look at the books for the school.

This was a long time coming, many teachers (former St. Lawrence teachers) tried sounding the alarm 5+ years ago to both Father and Archdiocese. Fr. Watkins told them he won't deal with any school issues and Archdiocese told them it was the pastor's problem. All those teachers were non-renewed by Klus, and had no reasons given for their non-renewal.

I don't know, but I would assume so since it's public info now.

I do know from those still heavily involved in the parish that neither Father Watkins nor Mr. Klus wanted to let Archdiocese auditors in to actually look at the books for the school.

This was a long time coming, many teachers (former St. Lawrence teachers) tried sounding the alarm 5+ years ago to both Father and Archdiocese. Fr. Watkins told them he won't deal with any school issues and Archdiocese told them it was the pastor's problem. All those teachers were non-renewed by Klus, and had no reasons given for their non-renewal.
Ah, so the AoC has a Pastor that won’t deal school issues but says such issues are that Pastors problem. They wonder why numbers are dwindling, pathetic.