Are you a true West Sider??

Does anyone know the status of Delhi Sunnyside? I know that they experienced serious plumbing problems and had some difficulty getting the landlady to help/finance getting fixed. They have been closed a month now.

Does anyone know the status of Delhi Sunnyside? I know that they experienced serious plumbing problems and had some difficulty getting the landlady to help/finance getting fixed. They have been closed a month now.
I think I saw something on Facebook that they are opening tomorrow?

You might not have noticed, but last week was a very bad week for the westside, as Plum Street continues to do what it can to hamper progress on the westside. First there was an announcement that a tax exempt entity was moving across from Bold Face Park, which happens to be the TIF for Price Hill. The FreeStore plans to build a distribution and job training site there. Doing so will reduce the funds being produced by the TIF to fund development in Price Hill.

The second hit was when it was disclosed that the Schulte Mansion on Glenway is being sold to the Boys and Girls Club, to be demolished so that they can build another tax exempt community service facility, making up their executive offices and a "career development center". This is a historic building, designed by a renown architect, and is located in what we have hoped to be a few blocks of 19th century buildings housing restaurants, breweries and small businesses. This has most recently been used by Radel Funeral Home. It was built in 1888 by the Schulte family and used as their home until 1933. The Schulte family is part of the Elder Community and several members still live in West Price Hill.

This is especially alarming given the artificial road blocks the City has placed on the development of the restaurant and brewery planned in the old buildings across from Elder. They have blocked the transfer of development funds earmarked for development in West Price Hill, despite the agreement of all stakeholders involved.

What would be the reason for John Cranley to sabotage development efforts in Price Hill? Well, it gets kind of complicated, but it is clearly his intent to do so. He is not a friend to Price Hill, in any way shape or form. He left the westside for Hyde Park and is being paid by a law firm made up of mostly of prominent eastside residents (Jim Jansing, Elder 74, being a notable exception) and whose main client is determined to push the poor out of the westend. Cranley's side hustle is with Keating Muething and Klekamp. His City Manager is a Muething and one of the newly appointed council members is a Keating. KMK's biggest client is the Linder family and their various business interests. Carl Linder III is a prime investor in FC CIncinnati and has been promoting the new soccer stadium and the gentrification of the West End. Where are all those displace poor to go? Obviously, they plan on pushing them to the westside, just as they have been doing for the past 30 years.

Cranley is just as corrupt as those council members who have been indicted, as he feathers his nest for his post mayoral career. He is determined to benefit other neighborhoods at the expense of Price Hill and has been doing so since his election. It is about time that westsiders make their voices heard.

Last edited:
Here's an update: The architect of the Schulte Mansion was confirmed to have been Hannaford (yes, that Hannaford, who designed Music Hall, City Hall.....etc.). Cranley has summoned the president of Price Hill Will and the West Price Hill Community Council to his office tomorrow. My hunch is he will put the screws to them and try to get an agreement from them before they can hear from their constituents. By the way, I have heard that Kurt Ruffing was left completely in the dark about this, despite Elder's stake in the neighborhood and I believe that Seton's Cathy Charla may have been in the dark as well, although she may have been tipped off recently as a board member of Price Hill Will.

Cranley, or should I say Cramley, appears to be trying to cram this through.

Who thinks that a Hannaford designed mansion would ever be demolished on the Eastside of town?

Does Price Hill deserve a nice business district of eclectic shops, clubs and restaurants? Cranley, Pete Witte and others say "no", all the while such places are flourishing all over town. Does the Westside deserve to have their historic buildings preserved? Well remember the Gamble Mansion? Cranley, Pete Witte and others appear to say "no".

I'll let you know when I hear what happens tomorrow. I can tell you for sure though, Cranley is using dirty tricks to make sure Price Hill can not compete for market rate housing, attractive businesses and entertainment venues.

Here's an update: The architect of the Schulte Mansion was confirmed to have been Hannaford (yes, that Hannaford, who designed Music Hall, City Hall.....etc.). Cranley has summoned the president of Price Hill Will and the West Price Hill Community Council to his office tomorrow. My hunch is he will put the screws to them and try to get an agreement from them before they can hear from their constituents. By the way, I have heard that Kurt Ruffing was left completely in the dark about this, despite Elder's stake in the neighborhood and I believe that Seton's Cathy Charla may have been in the dark as well, although she may have been tipped off recently as a board member of Price Hill Will.

Cranley, or should I say Cramley, appears to be trying to cram this through.

Who thinks that a Hannaford designed mansion would ever be demolished on the Eastside of town?

Does Price Hill deserve a nice business district of eclectic shops, clubs and restaurants? Cranley, Pete Witte and others say "no", all the while such places are flourishing all over town. Does the Westside deserve to have their historic buildings preserved? Well remember the Gamble Mansion? Cranley, Pete Witte and others appear to say "no".

I'll let you know when I hear what happens tomorrow. I can tell you for sure though, Cranley is using dirty tricks to make sure Price Hill can not compete for market rate housing, attractive businesses and entertainment venues.
A photo and background on the Schulte Mansion, which is on the Queen City Tour.

So what is the significance of this home/building other than its age?

It's always looked like an eye sore to me.

Last edited:
So what is the significance of this home/building other than its age?

It's always looked like an eye sore to me.
I understand, from the research done by Price Hill Will, that it was designed by Samuel Hannaford, who also designed City Hall, the Times Star Building and Music Hall as well as a number of other prominent buildings. I am sorry it is not a style of architecture that you appreciate. I am sure that you will agree that it beats the heck out of the monstrosities imposed on us as the new Carson School or the Boys and Girls Club on Glenway.

Speaking about getting screwed over, look at the remodeled schools all over town. Many schools of the same design as Carsen were added to and updated, preserving the architecture of the original building. Not in Price Hill. Thanks to people like Pete Witte, it was tear it down and throw up whatever you want. That almost happened to the Carnegie library in East Price Hill. People are finally fed up and speaking out.

A photo and background on the Schulte Mansion, which is on the Queen City Tour.

I am told that write up is wrong and that it was designed by Hannaford, according to the research done by Price Hill Will.

There is now a on-line petition to save the historic building. It can be found at:

https://www.change.org/p/boys-and-g...8104fdf8dd6b&utm_content=fht-29630837-en-us:0

Good News! Speaking up certainly helps and the loud uproar obviously put the Mayor on the spot:

Hello again WPHCC members,

Yesterday, Rachel Hastings and I were asked to join in an impromptu meeting being organized by Mayor Cranley for this morning. The intent of the meeting was to have a discussion about the Price Hill Restaurant/Brewery, Radel Funeral Home, and the Boys & Girls Club. In attendance were the Mayoral staff, City Manager’ staff, DCED Staff, Restaurant/Brewery Co-Developer, The Port, and Boys & Girls Club.

We can report it was a good productive meeting, Mayor Cranley expressed his desire to get the restaurant/brewery going, help the Boys & Girls Club establish the workforce/Teen center, and preserve the Radel Funeral Home. Yes, he wants it all to happen!

There was a discussion about the challenges anyone would have with the elevated Radel site. Demolition cost, cost for grading even before you could build. Demolition of the structure would also trigger many code redevelopment requirements (stormwater detention etc.) that would certainly increase the cost to build. Also, everyone agreed that Radel is a beautiful historic building that should be preserved.

The conversation quickly focused on the existing Sears and Roebuck building at Sunset and Glenway as an alternative location for the Boys & Girls Club to consider. The Sears building was recently listed with CBRE for lease. The CBRE sign is gone now, but several folks are checking its status. Everyone around the table thought the Sears building would be a much better option. The existing structure could be used to house the teen workforce development services and more. There is parking on site, and lots of space for Boys & Girls Club to expand or partner with other nonprofits. The Boys & Girls Club is interested in seeing the building.

City funding was next, the Mayor offered there is $750,000 available that had been set aside for the Roll Hill Boys & Girls Club, that project is now not going to happen, at that location, possibly could shift the funds to Price Hill. Then we got some very encouraging news that the City ordinance has been prepared for the release of funds dedicated to the Overlook and West 8th site as we had requested to go to the Glenway Restaurant/Brewery. There would be a reserve of $100,000 for the Overlook and W8th location for enhancements. The Mayor asked his staff to have the Ordinance ready for the August meeting.

At the end of the meeting it was agreed due diligence would be necessary to explore the Sears site availability further. The Port is going to assist in locating the current owner to set up a tour for the Boys & Girls club team.

Mayor Cranley proposed meeting again in late July to nail down more specifics related to funding prior to the August Council meeting.

All in all this was a very good meeting.

Respectfully submitted jointly by,

Karen Ball WPHCC, President and Rachel Hastings PHW, Executive Director

Last edited:
Weird thing about the meeting at City Hall as it was told to me, there were a number of City officials present, a private developer, the presidents of Price Hill Will and West Price Hill Community Council and one other person. Pete Witte was present as a self appointed "community leader" even though he could never run for office again in the West Price Hill Community Council, due to his malfeasance in the past and his self interest. Apparently he is the Mayor's toady.

Self appointed "community leaders" can only get in the way of those real community leaders who have been elected and represent the residents of the community.

Last edited:
We get it mojo, you don't like Pete Witte. Appreciate the updates regarding PH, but this thread could probably do without the personal analysis and attacks. It's lasted a long time, don't want to get it too far off the rails.

We get it mojo, you don't like Pete Witte. Appreciate the updates regarding PH, but this thread could probably do without the personal analysis and attacks. It's lasted a long time, don't want to get it too far off the rails.
I understand your point but, quite frankly, the situation with Pete is kind of weird. I know Pete well, but his position that we have lost so many buildings of historical significance (some during his watch as WPHCC president) that it is not worth saving what is left, is damaging to Price Hill and ultimately to Elder. Why and how he inserts himself in these matters is, like I said, kind of weird.

With that said, I defer to you until the next crisis.

I understand your point but, quite frankly, the situation with Pete is kind of weird. I know Pete well, but his position that we have lost so many buildings of historical significance (some during his watch as WPHCC president) that it is not worth saving what is left, is damaging to Price Hill and ultimately to Elder. Why and how he inserts himself in these matters is, like I said, kind of weird.

With that said, I defer to you until the next crisis.
And that's fine, I'm not saying the updates on the buildings or happenings in PH aren't relevant, just that we could do without the personal attacks. We know your position and I don't think anyone feels strongly one way or another on what you think of him, but it's not necessary to dump it in here. That's all I'm saying.

if you like arcades, the one in westwood has some real classics. 8 dollars to enter and you can come and go throughout the day. i believe they are only open on weekends though.

jtk
()

A rehabilitation project that involves seven historic buildings and four non-historic buildings in East Price Hill will receive a $1.7 million tax credit.

Warsaw Creative Campus, located in the 3000 block of Warsaw Avenue, includes buildings that are largely unoccupied. It will undergo a more than $17.6 million redevelopment and receive an Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit of $1.7 million.

After the campus’s mixed-used buildings are redeveloped, there will be 24 affordable residential units. The campus will also feature an array of tenants, including a youth orchestra, DIY art space and restaurant. Rehab work is expected to begin in September and is expected to be completed within about a year.

The Warsaw Creative Campus is a project of Price Hill Will, the neighborhood’s nonprofit development corporation, and Over-the-Rhine-based real estate developer Model Group.

How many more storage places do we really need
Another gym sold, and it is rumored to be turned into a storage facility. What is the deal with all of these storage places? Why is there an increased demand for storage all of a sudden? There are plenty of existing storage facilities on the westside.

Another gym sold, and it is rumored to be turned into a storage facility. What is the deal with all of these storage places? Why is there an increased demand for storage all of a sudden? There are plenty of existing storage facilities on the westside.

The westside is doing an awful job attracting any sort of good businesses these days. Tire stores, check cash places, storage facilities, mattress stores...all eyesore kinds of businesses that close within a year or, in the case of the storage places, it never seems like anyone is there. The area this gym used to be has some good, locally owned places worth supporting, but it's an ugly looking plaza. Especially with the old Toys R Us being some sort of RV storage place or whatever it is.

Another important project to help stabilize and develop the Warsaw Avenue corridor. The real estate developer is the Model Group. They did the work on the apartment complex for seniors on Elberon and West 8th street.

Below is a link on the other projects the Model Group have done in the region. Quality work in many urban areas.

When I looked at their work it made me think of the conversation on the consolidation of parishes and schools under the Arch of Cincinnati control. I wish we would lose no schools and churches but that is not going to happen. But if some schools and churches are closed and sold by the Arch of Cincinnati some could find a new life in our community. It could be housing, event centers, concert halls etc. I hope it never happens but we all need to be realistic and look at alternative and creative solutions.

The westside is doing an awful job attracting any sort of good businesses these days. Tire stores, check cash places, storage facilities, mattress stores...all eyesore kinds of businesses that close within a year or, in the case of the storage places, it never seems like anyone is there. The area this gym used to be has some good, locally owned places worth supporting, but it's an ugly looking plaza. Especially with the old Toys R Us being some sort of RV storage place or whatever it is.
All the storage places have to be for drugs. All for storage and to launder money.

I say that jokingly but kind of seriously too. It simply doesn't make sense how there are so many

All the storage places have to be for drugs. All for storage and to launder money.

I say that jokingly but kind of seriously too. It simply doesn't make sense how there are so many

I think you are on to something. Did FX Fitness own the building, or was the space leased to them? I think that gym used to be called Ballys? If the building is privately own, did they really just kick out a long, long time tenant for a storage company? Is the storage business that strong that they are able to give the landlord that much confidence over a gym that's been around forever on the westside? It all seems pretty strange. I do get the gym could have been struggling due to the pandemic. Seems like a strange time to shut down when everything has now opened back up thanks to the vaccines.

Things just don't add up here. The other strange part is it just shut down randomly on a Thursday according to the article with employees and gym members not given any notice.

I think you are on to something. Did FX Fitness own the building, or was the space leased to them? I think that gym used to be called Ballys? If the building is privately own, did they really just kick out a long, long time tenant for a storage company? Is the storage business that strong that they are able to give the landlord that much confidence over a gym that's been around forever on the westside? It all seems pretty strange. I do get the gym could have been struggling due to the pandemic. Seems like a strange time to shut down when everything has now opened back up thanks to the vaccines.

Things just don't add up here. The other strange part is it just shut down randomly on a Thursday according to the article with employees and gym members not given any notice.

Similar to how the Best Buy shut down. I believe that there were rumblings that the Best Buy did that so that workers wouldnt just take items from the store, knowing they wouldnt have a job soon anyway. Still a crappy way to go about things, but possibly what they were doing.