Are you a true West Sider??

I was very skeptical for a very long time, but--as was mentioned just before the pandemic--a Menards store really will be built where the old Kroger was on Harrison Ave. About 60 acres including the old store and parking lot and currently vacant land are being assembled by the developer. The store itself will be about 173,000 square feet and another 70,000+ square feet outdoors for garden supplies and lumber.

Unfortunately, they're trying to get a curb cut onto Harrison Ave for direct access which seems totally unnecessary since the store will be accessible via the existing driveway to Kroger and this development could also connect to Manchester Plaza.

save big money.png

I was very skeptical for a very long time, but--as was mentioned just before the pandemic--a Menards store really will be built where the old Kroger was on Harrison Ave. About 60 acres including the old store and parking lot and currently vacant land are being assembled by the developer. The store itself will be about 173,000 square feet and another 70,000+ square feet outdoors for garden supplies and lumber.

Unfortunately, they're trying to get a curb cut onto Harrison Ave for direct access which seems totally unnecessary since the store will be accessible via the existing driveway to Kroger and this development could also connect to Manchester Plaza.

View attachment 17615
It appears that it is not going to be a signalized intersection though, which is not as big of a deal as you might think. Looks to be a right out only, which will not attract as much traffic exiting. If this does not happen, i would expect the eastbound traffic at the existing traffic light to be much heavier, especially in the peak hours.

View attachment 17615
The Filview intersection across from Kroger will no way handle the extra traffic from Menards. Hopefully, the decision makers will recognize this and make them use the other intersection across from Gabes.

There are so many empty former big box stores around the city and country. Having the old Kroger store torn down and redeveloped into something new is great to see.

I just wish the timeline for opening the new store wasn't 2023-2024.

There are so many empty former big box stores around the city and country. Having the old Kroger store torn down and redeveloped into something new is great to see.

I just wish the timeline for opening the new store wasn't 2023-2024.
Looking at Menards and how it is set up (it has about everything) reminds me of the old Swallen's store on Glenway.

Looking at Menards and how it is set up (it has about everything) reminds me of the old Swallen's store on Glenway.
You should go to the one at Glendale Milford and Reading Road. If I had extra time before a hockey game, I would just walk around that two story Mendards. It has a lot of cool stuff. Think of it like a Home Depot or Lowes, but with other bonus stuff.

On top of that a few years ago when the Florence Menards opened they flew in four of their race car drivers. Mainly Team Penske Drivers. I was able to meet Paul Menard at the time driving the #21 Wood Brother's Ford, Austin Cindric driving the #22 Team Penske Xfinity Series driver, Ryan Blaney driving the #12 Team Penske Cup series, and Simon Pagenaud driving the #22 Team Penske IndyCar. Pagenaud was about 2 months removed from winning the Indy 500. I am hoping that do that again at Western Hills.

You should go to the one at Glendale Milford and Reading Road. If I had extra time before a hockey game, I would just walk around that two story Mendards. It has a lot of cool stuff. Think of it like a Home Depot or Lowes, but with other bonus stuff.

On top of that a few years ago when the Florence Menards opened they flew in four of their race car drivers. Mainly Team Penske Drivers. I was able to meet Paul Menard at the time driving the #21 Wood Brother's Ford, Austin Cindric driving the #22 Team Penske Xfinity Series driver, Ryan Blaney driving the #12 Team Penske Cup series, and Simon Pagenaud driving the #22 Team Penske IndyCar. Pagenaud was about 2 months removed from winning the Indy 500. I am hoping that do that again at Western Hills.
After shopping at the Evendale Mennards for a few years I was disappointed when I went the Fairfield store. I assumed they were all as large as the Evendale store.

A section of Bridgetown Rd will be closed June 21 to 25 for culvert replacement.

Attachments

• 196738323_4335597976452309_3842967850341526447_n.png
    196738323_4335597976452309_3842967850341526447_n.png
    588 KB · Views: 32
I don't remember if this has been mentioned or not, but a new street with 11 home sites is planned for the area south of South Rd and west of Van Blaricum. https://goo.gl/maps/LvCU6PffGmYPoTt37

Also at their most recent meeting, the Hamilton County Rural Zoning Commission gave their approval for the Harrison Ave. Menards and Trailside Village.

What is LaRosa's planning for the Eastern intersection of Mt. Alverno and Delhi Pike? Are they putting in a dinning room or a new LaRo to Go?

Not sure if anyone brought this up before, but apparently a Sonic is going in on Harrison in the area where Joe's Watermill currently is. Joe's and all other tenants will apparently have to find new locations.

Not sure if anyone brought this up before, but apparently a Sonic is going in on Harrison in the area where Joe's Watermill currently is. Joe's and all other tenants will apparently have to find new locations.
Correct on the Sonic. The township’s attorney works in the office next to that complex. My daughter works in the same office and keeps me up to date on development issues.

Any word on the timeline for Sonic opening?
This is all I saw on a timeline. Tenant out by August, followed by demolition. Public hearing in August.

I want to know who all these people are that have so much crap that they need to rent extra storage. It's nuts how many continue to be built.
It amazes me as well, but there must be a need for them, or they wouldn’t keep popping up. I looked into one when my parents died for their stuff until we knew what to do with it all. Getting a unit isn’t exactly cheap either. I chose not to

This is all I saw on a timeline. Tenant out by August, followed by demolition. Public hearing in August.

It will be interesting to see if the westside will support a Sonic. Steak and Shake just down the road has been closed for a couple years now and nothing has stepped in there yet. There used to be a 5 guys on Glenway that failed also right? There was also a City BBQ on Glenway that failed and a second restaurant a Noodles? place went there I forget the name and failed. Westside doesn't seem to take to some places for some reason.

It will be interesting to see if the westside will support a Sonic. Steak and Shake just down the road has been closed for a couple years now and nothing has stepped in there yet. There used to be a 5 guys on Glenway that failed also right? There was also a City BBQ on Glenway that failed and a second restaurant a Noodles? place went there I forget the name and failed. Westside doesn't seem to take to some places for some reason.
Steak and Shake closing was part of a national restructuring by Stake and Shake, they planned to close most restaurants and reopen them as franchises, which I think has been a disaster so far. But that location didn't exactly close over a lack of business

City BBQ was successful; IIRC they were kicked out by the owner to bring in something else. I don't know how well Noodles and Co did, could have been the same issue as City BBQ

But overall I agree with your point. We all constantly want new restaurants, but we are to cheap to support them when they do come. So instead we get Bob Sumerel and Mattress Firm instead of an Olive Garden

Does anyone know what/if anything is going in the little strip mall on Bridgetown where Humberts and Subway used to be. Both were longtime tenants and closed in the last few months, I thought that was kind of strange.

Steak and Shake closing was part of a national restructuring by Stake and Shake, they planned to close most restaurants and reopen them as franchises, which I think has been a disaster so far. But that location didn't exactly close over a lack of business

City BBQ was successful; IIRC they were kicked out by the owner to bring in something else. I don't know how well Noodles and Co did, could have been the same issue as City BBQ

But overall I agree with your point. We all constantly want new restaurants, but we are to cheap to support them when they do come. So instead we get Bob Sumerel and Mattress Firm instead of an Olive Garden
I thought City BBQ was fine, ate there frequently and they always seemed to have a decent crowd. I was sorry to see them close. We also went to Steak and Shake fairly often, despite the abysmal service. Given the bad service, and the fact that we have seen them close all over the eastern half of the country, I was not surprised when they closed.

I do not believe we need more "high end" franchise restaurants. Personally, I avoid them when I can. I prefer the mom and pops and they seem to be doing just fine on the westside. Just in the past week, we ate at Veracruz, Ron's Roost and got take out at Golden City. All of those beat the franchise places.

Does anyone know what/if anything is going in the little strip mall on Bridgetown where Humberts and Subway used to be. Both were longtime tenants and closed in the last few months, I thought that was kind of strange.
Heard this strip mall is owned by Eagle Bank and the rent they charge is too high.