Are you a true West Sider??

Angilo's Pizza used to be Butterkist Bakery. Another bakery, called Charlene's Bakery, was next to Hartlaub's Pharmacy (corner of W8th & Pedreditti) which was next to a IGA. On ther corner next to the Blue Note Cafe was a Pasquale's Pizza. Behind the Blue Note was the Overlook Pony Keg. Across the street from the Crows Nest was Meinhards Pony Keg. Across the street from the Overlook Pony Keg was a Texico gas station. The Western Hills Window building (corner Overlook & W8th) was a Sohio gas station. The street car turn around tracks were still visible at the end of West 8th in the 70's. The current location of Papa Johns Pizza (on W8th) was a UDF. Reedmore Books was next to UDF. Shackleider? Florist was next to Curnayns.

The white building on Overlook was first a country club (way back) and then a Christian Science Church.

Delhi Pike and Rapid Run Pike were both toll roads at one time.

Last edited:
It would seriously be cool to dig up some old photos of a lot of these places, taken from roughly the same spot/perspective, and go out and take photos of them today, and have some kind of a book showing the photos in chronological order, wouldn't it?

I was the traffic light cop once on the Uncle Al Show.

We're getting off the subject of the West side, but......

How about Play It Safe and the Cool Ghoul?

This is fun.

How about Squire Jack Fish-n-Chips where the Covedale Pet Hospital is? I think there used to be one on Ferguson near Glenway also.

King Kwik on the corner of Foley and Pedretti (next to Cubby's present location). It was also called Lawson's prior to that. The Greenhouses that were on the corner there also.

Larry Smith and his Puppets (Hattie the Witch and Snarfy R. Dog) on Channel 19 in the afternoons.

Skipper (Glen) Ryle on Channel 12 in the mornings. A rival of Ucle Al in the late 60's.

The savings and loan scandal in 1984(?). Home State Savings Bank (where White Castle is on Delhi Pike) was on the national TV news for many nights as people tried to get their money out of the bank.

Pogues (Media Play) at the Western Hills Plaza was Mabley & Carew before that.

Kroger's and Super/X shared the building where Funky Dunks is now.

The carpet place on the corner of glenway and crookshank was a UDF, and the Mcdonalds was a Steak n Shake. Where Circuit City is used to be a train yard. Swallen had that whole block along Glenway with the store and a lumber yard. I was driving along Glenway yesterday and couldn't recall what used to be where Blockbuster was. The old western hills public library used to be located on Relleum ave then Huewerth (sp?) before it relocated to the old bank next to the Covedale theatre.

Jteegardner said:
I was driving along Glenway yesterday and couldn't recall what used to be where Blockbuster was.

I don't think there was anything there before. I think it was the parking lot for Sebastians and Martini's Hair Salon. I think they shoe-horned that in there in the 80's or early 90's.

Did any of you early to mid 80's grads by your beer at Granny's on 128 or E-town. If the usual Smile Drive thru etc. wouldn't sell it then you could always count on these places. It was always worth the drive.

For the really old-timers (no one here of course), someone told me or I read that there used to be a baseball field behind the Crow's nest. This was like back in the 20's maybe. Also the name was spelled "Crowe" because that was the guys name. I would have liked to have seen that.

wrigley said:
Did any of you early to mid 80's grads by your beer at Granny's on 128 or E-town. If the usual Smile Drive thru etc. wouldn't sell it then you could always count on these places. It was always worth the drive.

my neighbor tells me he used to buy his beer at the deli-pony keg on Ebenezer across from Jeff's Marathon where the bank is now. We always used the traditional approach, wait outside and ask someone to beer your beer because we lost our I.D......of course:D

we used to sit on top of a small building located behind the Covedale Theatrea and drink. You could see Glenway ave, the Medical arts building parking lot and the lot behind the theatre. We had all the angles covered. Then if need be run into the woods. Please don't tell my 13 year daughter this. :angel:

citydweller said:
For all you O.L.L. people, how about a nice cold one at Rocky's. The only pony keg you went to was Hanson's, where Gene new everyone by name, and you didn't need Big's or Kroger's we had J&J's supermarket.

Man, Hanson's really brings back some great memories! I remember going up to Oskamps on weekends and collecting bottles to turn in (to collect the deposit money) at Hansons so that I could buy candy (when big candy bars were actually 5 cents). Gene would always count out my money on the counter and tell me how much I could get. Man, those were the days! We moved when I was 9 and Hansons was probably what I missed more than anything after moving.

Last edited:
Jteegardner said:
How many remember that the West Side used to have Gold Circle, Van Leunens (sp?), Meiers, McAlpins, Shillitos, Elder-Beerman and Central Hardware. How about keller's IGA on Rulison and Bruno's on Glenway. I remember the railroad bridges on Ferguson. We used to drink beer under that bridge. Also how about Dunham when it was a tuberculosis hospital? Oh the good ole days:D

There was also a Chinatown and VanLuenens where Kroger now stands on Delhi Pike. I remember when they built those places and tore down part of the woods we played in.

Who remembers the A&P and Meijer Square where the old Thriftway store was in Delfair?

Also, the Kreske (sp!) store where Hader Hardware is in Delfair. They had a lunch counter that served great (and I mean great) subs.

Who remembers when Frisch's actually brought the food out to your car?

Who remembers when Greenwell Rd. between Foley and Delhi Pk. was still a gravel road?

Who remembers when Delhi Chili was down the street in that strip mall, I believe next door to Hank & Eve's.

There was also a Hitching Post restaurant (best fried chicken ever) in the little strip mall on Delhi Pike across from Delhi Chili.

Wasn't there a Rink's department store over there on Ferguson where WalMart is?

Well that's all I can do for now, thanks for the trip down memory lane! :D

AZElder said:
How about when the Glenway McDonalds was across from TGI Friday's (well before that was there) and it had that glass seperating the kitchen from the very small dinning area.

Wasn't there a Jerry's Restaraunt in that area also?

Elder Grad said:
more Mack area stuff...

How about the Osterhues market and the batting cages where the Walgreen's and GFS stores are now!

Didn't "Jungle" Jim Massa, Elder's baseball coach, own those batting cages?

PantherVOR said:
Wasn't there a Jerry's Restaraunt in that area also?

Yes it was close to the bowling supply store. If fact I think it is still there but it is an insurance company now or real estate office.

Wasn't Pete Rose's Restaurant where Ponderosa used to be across from the Western Bowl alley on Westbourne?

PantherVOR said:
There was also a Chinatown and VanLuenens where Kroger now stands on Delhi Pike. I remember when they built those places and tore down part of the woods we played in.

Who remembers the A&P and Meijer Square where the old Thriftway store was in Delfair?

Also, the Kreske (sp!) store where Hader Hardware is in Delfair. They had a lunch counter that served great (and I mean great) subs.

Who remembers when Frisch's actually brought the food out to your car?

Who remembers when Greenwell Rd. between Foley and Delhi Pk. was still a gravel road?

Who remembers when Delhi Chili was down the street in that strip mall, I believe next door to Hank & Eve's.

There was also a Hitching Post restaurant (best fried chicken ever) in the little strip mall on Delhi Pike across from Delhi Chili.

Wasn't there a Rink's department store over there on Ferguson where WalMart is?

Well that's all I can do for now, thanks for the trip down memory lane! :D

I think the A&P/Meijer store was called Twin Fair for a time also. I saw Anthony Munoz there once during his rookie year in 1980. He used to live in Indian Lookout Apartments on Anderson Ferry.

There used to be a boat place behind Wendy's and Taco Bell where the Huntington Bank is now.

Does anybody remember the woods that used to be between Field 5 and the soccer fields in Delhi Park?

How about the AMTRAK station at the foot of the Sixth Street Viaduct and River Road?

jjakq27 said:

Does anybody remember the woods that used to be between Field 5 and the soccer fields in Delhi Park?

I saw my first naked women in a Playboy we found in those very woods. I will never forget that day.

So I guess we do have some true West Siders???:laugh:

jjakq27 said:

Yeah I remember those woods, I was attacked by an owl in those woods one early morning. I was on my way to serve 6:10 mass at St. D's.

The Strip mall where Radio Shack and Hallmark are now used to be all woods back in the day also. That whole area between Delhi Park's Driveway and The Old UDF (before they tore it down and built the current one) was woods. We spent a lot of time in those woods around Delhi Park when I was a kid!

jjakq27 said:
I think the A&P/Meijer store was called Twin Fair for a time also. I saw Anthony Munoz there once during his rookie year in 1980. He used to live in Indian Lookout Apartments on Anderson Ferry.

There used to be a boat place behind Wendy's and Taco Bell where the Huntington Bank is now.

I do remember the Twin Fair and and the boat place. I remember we used to get lumber that the boat place threw away to use for our tree house and camp projects in the woods during the summer.

Do you guys remember playing "street team" baseball and football games? We used to form neighborhood teams and challenge "street teams" from other neighborhoods to games up at Delhi Park.

The funny thing is, I remember "recruiting" allegations back then when somebody would show up with someone who wasn't from their "street" or neighborhood. The excuse was always "he slept over at my house so he can play with us today". Field 3 at Delhi Park was our "home" field!

PantherVOR said:

The funny thing is, I remember "recruiting" allegations back then when somebody would show up with someone who wasn't from their "street" or neighborhood. The excuse was always "he slept over at my house so he can play with us today". Field 3 at Delhi Park was our "home" field!
Maybe Colerain can use that excuse with Gary Pride? :D

Anyone remember "Dead Man's Cave" at Delhi Park? I can't tell you how many people busted their heads where the tunnel got smaller. I don't know why no one ever learned.

Pete Rose's Home Plate, boy that brings back a lot of memories. It was where Perkins is now. I think Johnny Bench took it over for a while before it became Perkins.

I remember going in there with my family after mass on Sunday mornings. That place was PACKED! I actually met Pete Rose in there when I was a little kid and got his autograph on old baseball he had. I still have that ball.

Wasn't there a Daily Doughnuts at the bottom of the hill behind Western Woods Mall/Plazza where a Barleycorns used to be? It was a Burbanks for a while too.

House of Cards said:
Were any of you oldsters on "The Uncle Al Show?" I never was, but my brother got to go once.:dang:
was on twice as well. Still have at least one of the pictures!

"Wasn't there a Daily Doughnuts at the bottom of the hill behind Western Woods Mall/Plazza where a Barleycorns used to be? It was a Burbanks for a while too."

You are correct. There was also a drive thru behind it.