Are you a true West Sider??

AZElder said:
Globe Records
I still remember the smell of incense!

What was the name of the restaurant that used to be on the corner of Glenway and Werk? I think it's an eyeglass shop now. It was a burger and soda joint that was kinda like a Steak n Shake.

Someone mentioned the Walgreen’s in WHP. I used to stop in there to play a game or two of Pac Man after coming home from Elder on the #33.

99BOB said:
What about Sambo's? Which turned into Pizza Hut, Wings & Rings and now some Chinese buffet.

What about Eddie's drive through before Maloney's exsisted?

When Dunkin Doghnuts occupied where the Skyline is on Delhi?

Who remebers Zantigo's (now Taco Bell is on Delhi and Glemway -near Texas Roadhouse) where everything ontheir menu was less than a dollar?

What about Buger Chef which turned into Hardee's and now Gold Star on Delhi?

I remeber when Foley Forest was a forest.

I bought my 1st vinyl (yes you heard me young ones) record from Globe. A time when 8 tracks players and Ford Pintos were cool. ;)

I enjoyed going to Bella Napole (now the Golden Fleece) and the Feguson Drive-In.

Ahh the good ol' days

I remember Eddies, but not Dunkin Doghnuts. I also remember Burger Chef. What about when Wild Mike's on Delhi Pike was a Friendly's.

I don't remember the Hitching Post, Danny's Den or Moellers bar.

I don't think I got past Delhi Pike until I was about 14 though.

Why is Delhi Pike called Delhi Pike? On the signs it says Delhi Rd........

I remember getting Hitching Post chicken during a Saturday or Sunday afternoon at Phillip's Swim Club.

Zantigos was AWESOME!!!! I loved that place.

How about when the Glenway McDonalds was across from TGI Friday's (well before that was there) and it had that glass seperating the kitchen from the very small dinning area.

How about Westwood Mall (if you could it that) which is now where Home Depot is behind Macy's/Lazerus/McAlpins/Pogues.

wish said:
I still remember the smell of incense!

I remember seeing p*ssy scented incense in there. I often wondered what that smelled like :) That could be good and bad:angel:

how about the old Larosa's on Boudinot. The pizzaria, Wine Cellar and the other part I can't recall the name right now.

AZElder said:
I remember getting Hitching Post chicken during a Saturday or Sunday afternoon at Phillip's Swim Club.

Zantigos was AWESOME!!!! I loved that place.

How about when the Glenway McDonalds was across from TGI Friday's (well before that was there) and it had that glass seperating the kitchen from the very small dinning area.

How about Westwood Mall (if you could it that) which is now where Home Depot is behind Macy's/Lazerus/McAlpins/Pogues.

That mall didn't have much but they did have a game room. Do you remember that name?

The fancy side of LaRossa's was the Italian Inn.

I don't remember the name of the game room at the Westwood Mall, but i do remember going there while camping out for concert tickets (when it was open during the day).

Great memories. The tressal(sp?) at Bridgetown and Glenway was taken doen while I was in boot cammp which was the fall of '84. Does anyone rememer the old McDonald's on Glenway across form Bob Evans? I think there is a realtors office there now.

Here is a real blast from the past. On the wednesday evening before the Elder-West Hi Thanksgiving game, Elder always had a bon fire at Oskamps that was not welcomed by Cincinnati's finest.

wrigley said:
Great memories. The tressal(sp?) at Bridgetown and Glenway was taken doen while I was in boot cammp which was the fall of '84. Does anyone rememer the old McDonald's on Glenway across form Bob Evans? I think there is a realtors office there now.
I remember that McDonald's. Funny because until you mentioned it I was thinking that McDonald's had always been in it's current location! After your post the light bulb went off.

Anyone remember the Pizza Hut on Westbourne?

wish said:
I remember that McDonald's. Funny because until you mentioned it I was thinking that McDonald's had always been in it's current location! After your post the light bulb went off.

Anyone remember the Pizza Hut on Westbourne?

Sure do. It was right next to the statue of the guy who had the earth on his back.

Alright, alright, alright. I'm feeling better now. The only thing I remember out of all of that is the statue of the guy holding the earth on his back. I am 26 now (very nearly 27), so I'm sure some of this was still around in my time, but I was probably too young.............

How about the King Kwik on Westbourne? It's was a convenience store but didn't sell gas. Now I think it's a Stop N Go.

I remember...

Phillipps annual costume parade, and trick dive show, Mrs Phillips, Jerry, Toby Heile
Shullers Seven Kitchens across from Elder
Sears on glenway near Sunset
Ice House on Enright
Arthur Treachers on Ferguson and West 8th
Kroger across from St Teresa
Taffey House on West 8th
Crane operator at Crookshank Dump
Elder/West Hi parade with bands and floats
Candy store near Don's Hobby Shop
Race Car tracks in Dons Hobby Shop

wish said:
How about the King Kwik on Westbourne? It's was a convenience store but didn't sell gas. Now I think it's a Stop N Go.
Remember the infamous "Kwik Brothers" commercials on TV? King Kwik has been gone a long time!!

"Remember the infamous "Kwik Brothers" commercials on TV? King Kwik has been gone a long time!! "

How about the "Ice a nice" commercials?

Re: I remember...

Elder Alum said:
Phillipps annual costume parade, and trick dive show, Mrs Phillips, Jerry, Toby Heile
Ice House on Enright
Taffey House on West 8th
Crane operator at Crookshank Dump

I don't remember a single one of these.

I do remember when there was a King Kwik on the corner of Pedretti & Fehr.

wrigley said:
"Remember the infamous "Kwik Brothers" commercials on TV? King Kwik has been gone a long time!! "

How about the "Ice a nice" commercials?
arrrghhh! I couldn't stand that guy! with his silly cane and styrofoam top hat. boy, the sky was the limit on what they spent on advertising back in those days, wasn't it?;)

For the REALLY old timers . . . .

Do you remember these?

The Walgreens across from Seton HS when it was a bowling alley and then Shuller's Ballroom?

The Checker's store that used to be at the corner of Glenway and First Ave?

The Williams Pharmacy (now a restaurant) at the corner of Glenway and Iliff? They had a REAL soda fountain / counter. That was a special treat!

The Super X and Albers grocery store that is now part of Elder HS?

The A & P grocery store that used to be across from Iliff on Glenway?

Brofft's Delicatessen that was across from the Glenway K of C Hall near Carson Elementary?

The Sears and Roebucks that was near the corner of Glenway and Sunset?

When the 52 bar WASN'T there???? (I lived in Price Hill in the 60's and I swear it was there then!!)

This has been fun . . . keep them coming !!

Doc Holiday's underneath Western Bowl! I hear Joe Dirt still lives there!!

The Po' Folks where the Sherwin Williams store is at the corner of Bridgetown and Glenway.

Lots of memories from camping out for concert tickets at the Western Woods Mall.

I remember the tressels at Glenway & Bridgetown - and all of the pigeon that landed on the windshield.

Pre-game at Dunham!!! Lord have mercy!!

The old barn on Bridgetown near Skyline with the "Mailpouch Tobacco" sign painted on it.

The old Alpine Inn before it became Nick and Tom's.

The Po' Folks where the Sherwin Williams store is at the corner of Bridgetown and Glenway.

I remeber when it was a smorgasboard (sp). I think it was called David Buffet. And for any of you from Mack. How about the water tower "Mack Studs".

walgreens in the WH shopping center with the grill lunch counter with the ice cream sodas.

That grill/lunch counter was in the Woolworth's in the WH shopping center.

Does anyone else remember the place in the WH shopping center that used to sell baked (rotisserie) chickens? They used to cook them in the front window facing the sidewalk so you could see them as you walked by.

wish said:
How about Sandy's across the street from the O.L.L. playground?

Are you talking about the famous Sandy's "Hi-Lo" burgers? Man those things are great. They still sell them every year at the Lourdes Festival. Delicious.

Re: I remember...

Elder Alum said:

I remember all those things. How about the bakery, butcher shop, kahny printing, Iono tuxedo rental, and Bernes Pharmacy (when it had a ice cream soda stand) all on Glenway ave.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned Danny's Den. I remember that had a big mural on the wall of Glenway ave (I think thats what it was).

How about Shea's pharmacy on glenway next to Seton HS. I used to work there after school while I was at Elder. Larry Shea was a strict boss but very generous escpecially at xmas time.

I really enjoy this post and hope others do too. Please keep them coming. One poster mentioned the House of Feathers. I always heard of this but never knew where or what it was.

Re: Re: I remember...

Jteegardner said:
One poster mentioned the House of Feathers. I always heard of this but never knew where or what it was.
I remember that place too. I only went past it one time, don't remember if we were just cruising around, or were going somewhere specific, but we went past it in the day time, and it was a pretty intimidating place even then. Can't imagine what it looked like at night!:eek: It burned down a long while back though, I never got the story but I thought some teens did it, don't know whether it was accidental or on purpose. Also, did you guys ever hear of a place called MunchkinLand? It was supposed to be a place where a bunch of "midgets" lived who would mess with people. I think it was off of Bank Rd.

Re: Re: Re: I remember...

House of Cards said:
I remember that place too. I only went past it one time, don't remember if we were just cruising around, or were going somewhere specific, but we went past it in the day time, and it was a pretty intimidating place even then. Can't imagine what it looked like at night!:eek: It burned down a long while back though, I never got the story but I thought some teens did it, don't know whether it was accidental or on purpose. Also, did you guys ever hear of a place called MunchkinLand? It was supposed to be a place where a bunch of "midgets" lived who would mess with people. I think it was off of Bank Rd.

Munchkin Land does exist. I went there right after I got out of H.S.. It's right by Rumke dump somewhere. I couldn't get you there if my life depended on it. It's a pretty weird place. Everyone said if you went there you would get chased away, but nothing happened when I was there.

more Mack area stuff...

How about the Osterhues market and the batting cages where the Walgreen's and GFS stores are now!

Wasn't Ron's Roost a Hitching Post first?

How about going to Brendamors in the WH Plaza to get your Elder jackets? Also, remember when the Plaza ended at Media Play, which was then a Pogues then an Elder-Beerman.

Suire avenue (where I grew up) being cobblestone

Getting a bag of chips and 16 oz pop for 25¢ ar Riegler's (across the street from St. William's church)

Pack of cigarattes and quart of beer for under a buck.

White Castle's, normally 7¢ a piece, on sale 20 for a dollar.

Mecurios Lounge, before it was Sunset Lounge, before it was Uncle Joes, before it was Sunset Pub.

Converse All-stars being the ONLY sneaker to have.

Blue Note Cafe, before it was Black Poodle, before it was Twin's Lounge, before it was The Blue Note

Jack & Jill's Cafe on W 8th St. next to Angilo's pizza now. (Yes, there were 4 bars in that one block area) Crow's nest, Curnayns, Blue Note and Jack & Jill's.

Sunday GCL football doubleheaders at Xavier University, ---- remember when XU had a football team?

When color TV was only on 2 hours a week on NBC, one hour of Disney and one hour of Bonanza.

OK, I'm ready to lay down and die!