Are there schools too big and should be split apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancaster90

Are there too many schools in Ohio that are way too big and should be split into two or more schools?
Even though a lot of districts have multiple high schools, Olentangy schools for example, there are other district both public and private that are way too big compared to other school districts. Should there be a limit as to how big a high school should be before that district should consider building additional high schools? Even with the Catholic schools, some are bigger than most public schools. How fair is to those students in a school of say 2000 to get the right attention to all things school related compared to a school with 700 students. I do not think there is a right or wrong answer to these questions but look at D1 in terms of its biggest size schools to it smallest. The largest districts like Columbus and Cleveland City Schools have multiple schools in its district. A school district like Newark or Mt Vernon do not need multiple high schools because of there size. I have seen some of these bigger schools and the size and numbers are overwhelming.
What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that in general, it makes more sense for decisions to be made at as local a level as possible. In this case it's especially true as those in the district will pay the bulk of the costs.

If anything Ohio should look at consolidation. Don't get me wrong I love small school football. The fact that a 5'7" 165 lb. athlete who works hard and loves the game can play at a division 5,6,7 school is part of what makes football in Ohio great. The problem is that because participation numbers are down many small schools are seeing roster numbers in the 20's. It is very difficult to develop players when you can't play freshman, JV, or Jr. High games. Even if there is a movement to co-op smaller schools so they can get participation numbers into the 40s it would really help the sport IMO.

No school should be consolidating or breaking apart due to size because of sports. That is a decision that should be based on the economics and academics of the families within that school, and should be made by those same local people involved. Athletics should have zero consideration in that decision. The fact that this thread exists is proof of how people on Yappi have lost sight of what the entire purpose of what school is for and the definition of what extracurricular is.

No school should be consolidating or breaking apart due to size because of sports. That is a decision that should be based on the economics and academics of the families within that school, and should be made by those same local people involved. Athletics should have zero consideration in that decision. The fact that this thread exists is proof of how people on Yappi have lost sight of what the entire purpose of what school is for and the definition of what extracurricular is.
The first time sports was even mentioned was the post above yours.

So many layers involved with a question like this. What’s the student to teacher ratio at the school? Academic offerings? Extra curricular offerings? some large schools have way more options for students for things like performing arts, athletics, etc than a smaller school can offer. Room for physical expansion of a school building could be a determining factor. Growth of the community in terms of population and forecasted student enrollment within the district.

Definitely not one right answer for any school district in the State.

Co-ops involve two schools coming together for sports only. The students still attend their original school in their community but combine athletes to make a new team. That was my argument, I did not say that schools should be combined. Please read for understanding not to make a point you want to make!

I think Columbus City, the district, is too big and should be split up into fourth’s or fifth’s.

By the threads on this site it sure seems splits and consolidations are quite the issue in ohio.....with how covid and politics have effected the big cities,you'll see the wave go back to the suburbs ...I'm sure things will even out again,but it'll take time

The first time sports was even mentioned was the post above yours.
No, the OP specifically talked about it being unfair for large schools to have to compete with super large schools. Or maybe I'm mistaken and he was talking about competing SAT scores, college scholarships, and science olympiad teams............on a sports message board...........in the football section. ?

Give a example of a School being to large and why it should be split up. Mason was and still might be the School with the largest enrollment in Ohio but i can't think of one reason it should be split up. Indiana has several Public Big Schools that are larger than most of Ohio's largest Schools.
Gahanna in Central Ohio is still a one town D1 School and is probably without looking the Biggest of the D1 Schools never heard mention of anyone calling for them to split up and add another HS.

Neither Mason nor Gahanna dominate in FB, BB, Baseball or Wrestling.

Give a example of a School being to large and why it should be split up. Mason was and still might be the School with the largest enrollment in Ohio but i can't think of one reason it should be split up. Indiana has several Public Big Schools that are larger than most of Ohio's largest Schools.
Gahanna in Central Ohio is still a one town D1 School and is probably without looking the Biggest of the D1 Schools never heard mention of anyone calling for them to split up and add another HS.

Neither Mason nor Gahanna dominate in FB, BB, Baseball or Wrestling.
Reynoldsburg probably should be split into two, since they’re already split campus.

The disparity in Division I schools was supposed to be addressed when they created DVII. When that happened many former DI schools were moved to Division II.

I think Columbus City, the district, is too big and should be split up into fourth’s or fifth’s.
With about 900 Boys and 700+ Girls they would probably have 2 Schools sitting on the Bottom of Enrollment in D1 if both Boys and Girls hit the D2 Level it would make more sense from a Athletic Dept. sense. Or make 1 All Girls and 1 All Boys :)

Size isn't everything sportswise. Rizal High School has over 19,000 students and their football basically sucks.

Ohio seems to be the anomaly, not the norm. Our max high schools are generally smaller, particularly for our population.

School size by state

Our average high school is about 35th.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.