Archbishop Moeller @ Ironton

i don’t think Ironton is quite as good as the last 2 years. i’ll take Moeller in a competitive game

If I had to pick, I would go with Moeller by 10. The Tigers have dealt with injuries & penalties that have kept their past two games close. But if Ironton plays their best game of the season, I would not be surprised if they won. Props to both teams for making this game happen.

Moeller by 21 or more. Reality is Ironton isn’t that good and Moeller ain’t that bad. The GCL isn’t a bunch of cupcakes but Ironton is small division SEO.

I think a comparable for this game is last year's Moeller @ Bishop Hartley which Moeller won 34-17.
* Moeller finished 3-6, losing in their 2nd game of the playoffs to DI State Champion St Xavier (10-2) 45-14. Moeller also beat a 6-4 Hamilton and HIghlands, KY teams.
* Hartley finished 6-4 losing in their 4th game of the playoffs to DIII State Runner-up DeSales (9-2) 38-7. Hartley lost 3X to Desales last year, 2 of the games being close and the playoff being a blowout.

I would say Moeller appears to be a bit better than last season and Ironton about the same, probably a touchdown worse than Hartley was last year. Moeller's toughest game thus far was to a pretty good Div III Chaminade Julienne (1-2) 42-28. Ironton has lived on the edge the last two weeks beating Div III Jackson 13-10 on a Cal type end of game kickoff return and in OT to Div VI Fairland (2-1). Calpreps has it Moeller 31-22. I would think it will be closer to a 35-14. Just too much going on in Ironton with the beginning of the season roster change and close calls the last two weeks to overcome Moeller.

I think a comparable for this game is last year's Moeller @ Bishop Hartley which Moeller won 34-17.
* Moeller finished 3-6, losing in their 2nd game of the playoffs to DI State Champion St Xavier (10-2) 45-14. Moeller also beat a 6-4 Hamilton and HIghlands, KY teams.
* Hartley finished 6-4 losing in their 4th game of the playoffs to DIII State Runner-up DeSales (9-2) 38-7. Hartley lost 3X to Desales last year, 2 of the games being close and the playoff being a blowout.

I would say Moeller appears to be a bit better than season and Ironton about the same, probably a touchdown worse than Hartley was last year. Moeller's toughest game thus far was to a pretty good Div III Chaminade Julienne (1-2) 42-28. Ironton has lived on the edge the last two weeks beating Div III Jackson 13-10 on a Cal type end of game kickoff return and in OT to Div VI Fairland (2-1). Calpreps has it Moeller 31-22. I would think it will be closer to a 35-14. Just too much going on in Ironton with the beginning of the season roster change and close calls the last two weeks to overcome Moeller.

This is a MUCH better Moeller team by far vs. 2020.

Wish game happened either of the past 2 years. I don't care what type of season Moeller is having, it would take a team that Ironton put out these past years to make it competitive. Barely winning these past 2 games against much lesser talent means this could be a running clock! Props to Ironton for scheduling this game. How about Coldwater/Ironton??? Or Marion Local, now, that would be fun to watch...

Tradition - Moeller most likely is better this season, how much is a bit hard to tell. Moeller just hasn’t played anyone in 2021 the caliber of the 2020 GCL teams that they played & lost too. Moeller most likely puts a running clock on Ironton but I’ll root for the small school to hopefully keep it close.

This year’s Moe team is much improved over last year’s version. I like them to win.
But, IF they stumble early like the last 2 weeks (turnovers), watch out. A long bus ride and loud fans may play into things. Not making excuses already bc I honestly don’t know what type of team the Tigers have.
I have been looking forward to this one since they announced it. I have been told this is one of the best atmospheres in Ohio to watch a game. Can it rival Massillon? Or Elder?

Ironton is without their starting QB, RB/LB and next best RB. Even with them it would be an uphill battle to beat Moeller.
Size and numbers are against them. Historic Tanks Stadium is one of the last covered stadiums around and I am sure the place
will be packed to see Moeller. I am just hoping for an injury free game.

Attachments

• tanks stadium 2.jpg
    tanks stadium 2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 64
  • tanks stadium 1.jpg
    tanks stadium 1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Tiger alley.jpg
    Tiger alley.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 60
Ironton is without their starting QB, RB/LB and next best RB. Even with them it would be an uphill battle to beat Moeller.
Size and numbers are against them. Historic Tanks Stadium is one of the last covered stadiums around and I am sure the place
will be packed to see Moeller. I am just hoping for an injury free game.

That Sux. Sorry to hear that about their QB. Hats off to Ironton for scheduling this game. What a great looking stadium for H.S. kids to be able to play in. I'm sure Big Moe will enjoy the experience. Glad the game will be televised in Cincy on Spectrum. My understanding it is a 1 year deal, so unfortunately we won't see the Tigers in Cincy next fall.

The Moeller game is on Spectrum channel 1. All of the Tigers home games are televised on mytowntv on youtube. They are a local
outfit and they do a real nice job. The Moeller game is a regional game of the week or something on Spectrum.

Cool YouTube video I found on Ironton football. Never been down there but seems like a great place to see a game! That has to be one of the best small school stadiums in the State. Kind of reminds me of a smaller Massillon. I’m sure it provides a great atmosphere. Seems like one of those small towns that shuts down on Friday nights for the game.

Last edited:
Cool YouTube video I found on Ironton football. Never been down there but seems like a great place to see a game! That has to be one of the best small school stadiums in the State. Kind of reminds me of a smaller Massillon. I’m sure it provides a great atmosphere. Seems like one of those small towns that shuts down on Friday nights for the game.

With that being said, Moeller should win comfortably especially if the previous comment is true about Ironton being without their QB, a LB, and top two RB’s.

Under those conditions, you expect the smaller school to not have the depth of the big boys. This could be a running clock. However, I’m definitely rooting for Ironton from Stark County in this one.

I’ve kind of been keeping this matchup in mind on the back burner for the last few weeks out of curiosity to see how it ends up. Go Fighting Tigers!

Last edited:
If Ironton is down that many players this will get ugly. Nevertheless I do hope it is a full stadium to watch the game, I really love this matchup and commend all involved for making this happen.

Moeller 49
Ironton 12

Ironton's Danny Pride who played for the Chicago Bears narrated that video.

I saw Sycamore play at Ironton last year, and that was a ballgame deep into the 4th quarter with Ironton busting 2 long TDs in the final minutes. Last year’s Sycamore team was 1-7. This year’s Moeller is a lot better than that, and Ironton lost a lot from last year and appears to have injury problems right now. The other factor is that Moeller, as does any GCL-S team, has a massive offensive line. Ironton runs fast and hits hard on defense, but they are tiny, and expect Moeller to impose their will. I would LOVE to see Ironton pull this upset, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. Moeller wins 42-14.

Looks like a great stadium. Interesting note: this will be Moeller's 12th straight "road" game.

The Moeller game is on Spectrum channel 1. All of the Tigers home games are televised on mytowntv on youtube. They are a local
outfit and they do a real nice job. The Moeller game is a regional game of the week or something on Spectrum.

Not seeing it on that YT channel?

The Crusaders have been a bit down the past couple years. New coach last year, doing some good scheduling to get some wins. 4-0 right now, might be 4-5 in 5 weeks.

Hats off to Moeller good win. Running back for Moeller #6 may be small but wow he is shifty twitchy and quick. Ironton has to open up their offense more now that they’ll hit conference play to prep for a deep post season run again. Unbelievable environment as well. Glad to see this matchup happen a small town team from good ole southern ohio. Good luck to Moeller the rest of the way!

The Crusaders have been a bit down the past couple years. New coach last year, doing some good scheduling to get some wins. 4-0 right now, might be 4-5 in 5 weeks.
Without a doubt Moeller will be exposed the next 5 weeks. Why play a D5 team anyway??? Such weak scheduling