Archbishop Hoban - QB Transfer from WV

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the whole family moved to Ohio, completed all necessary paperwork, assuming they did what’s the problem? Can parents not choose the school of their choice? If they want to pay for private school that’s on them. Plenty of options in the area. Ignatius, Walsh, Benedictine, Edwards, SVSM, Hoban. I read on this board you can’t get into Ignatius or Edwards if your going into your junior year. Is that true? Could have been a factor.
I've been told they...."make exceptions."

Lolol let OHSAA do anything right is funny. Hardly ever happens. Also public schools don’t own the kids. It’s actually the opposite, our taxes pay for our schools, so in theory we the people own the schools. Plus the parents who send their children to private schools still pay public school taxes on top of tuition.

Part that you guys may not comprehend is that even at private schools there is a sense of community as well. Community isn’t only tied to a town/ city. Family tradition can be tied to a private school, as well as school loyalty.

So calm down “sparky” and not worry so much about what parents do for their children’s education and future.
No, it’s not the opposite. Taxpayers don’t own kids. This is a disgusting sentiment.

No, it’s not the opposite. Taxpayers don’t own kids. This is a disgusting sentiment.
You completely misunderstood my interpretation. Tax payers own the school aka put forth money for the school to run, elect officials to run the school in however they deem fit. If you’ve seen my previous comments I’ve said extensively that the school district doesn’t own the kids and parents are free to do whatever they want/ think is best for their child.

Kids and parents are attracted to success. Build a successful program and kids will want to come to it. Grade schoolers and middle schoolers don't dream of playing high school football on a bad team. They dream about playing on a big stage in important games.
Most dream of playing on a great team yes but one full of their friends, the ones they grew up playing youth football with. Nothing better than walking out on the field for your 1st or your last high school game with the same kids you started with. Those bonds last for years and probably mean more than being a “free agent”. Less than 1% of the kids are going to play D1 football, regardless of what their parents think.

I moved in 9th grade from WV to another state due to more opportunity. Left all of my friends because I was in a small town with little to offer. I went from a class A (smallest in WV) to the largest (class 5A at the time) in IN. I did not know 1 person at my new school. In 3 years starting varsity we won maybe 10 games. Injury in my senior year kept me from being offered a full ride. I walked on and earned a full scholarship in camp at D1 FCS school where I started 3 years and was team captain my senior year. Point is I left WV for more opportunity. I was not a 3 or 4 star athlete, but I wanted more. I have lifelong friends at both schools and my friends from WV understood why I left. Don't judge why someone leaves to better him or herself. I have always told employees to do what's best for themselves when it comes to careers and family. Towns and school districts do not own kids. The kids and parent's don't owe the school districts anything either. They are tools to learn and prepare us for adulthood. If a better opportunity is available and we take advantage of it within the rules then there shouldn't be any issue.

I moved in 9th grade from WV to another state due to more opportunity. Left all of my friends because I was in a small town with little to offer. I went from a class A (smallest in WV) to the largest (class 5A at the time) in IN. I did not know 1 person at my new school. In 3 years starting varsity we won maybe 10 games. Injury in my senior year kept me from being offered a full ride. I walked on and earned a full scholarship in camp at D1 FCS school where I started 3 years and was team captain my senior year. Point is I left WV for more opportunity. I was not a 3 or 4 star athlete, but I wanted more. I have lifelong friends at both schools and my friends from WV understood why I left. Don't judge why someone leaves to better him or herself. I have always told employees to do what's best for themselves when it comes to careers and family. Towns and school districts do not own kids. The kids and parent's don't owe the school districts anything either. They are tools to learn and prepare us for adulthood. If a better opportunity is available and we take advantage of it within the rules then there shouldn't be any issue.

Good post but are you more or less speaking for your parents? 15 year olds don't make the decision to move to another state. I might have been able to beg my parents to transfer to a neighboring district if I was legit miserable and kept pressuring them. That was pretty much the extent of my pull but those were different times I suppose.

Sounds like it worked out great though, congrats.

Hard for young people to pass up the allure of football fame and big time college football. Hopefully they have level-headed adults to help them and not live through them.

The dark side of this fantasy is the home grown kid who has played since pee wee, his family pouring time and money into a program for 10+ years, only to have some outsider move in and takes his spot. Thanks kid for all your time and effort, but we found a new flavor of the month and promised him your spot so he would come here. Have a seat or change positions for your senior year. Instead of QB, how about wide receiver or DB?

Hard for young people to pass up the allure of football fame and big time college football. Hopefully they have level-headed adults to help them and not live through them.

The dark side of this fantasy is the home grown kid who has played since pee wee, his family pouring time and money into a program for 10+ years, only to have some outsider move in and takes his spot. Thanks kid for all your time and effort, but we found a new flavor of the month and promised him your spot so he would come here. Have a seat or change positions for your senior year. Instead of QB, how about wide receiver or DB?

Good lesson for the real world.

In pee wee everybody plays and gets a participation trophy. Then middle school to HS gets progressively more selective and they start to figure it out. Ditto college and career, obviously. That's life. The truth of the matter is kids on the team like talented move-ins, and players who were good enough to start before still play alot after, and/or work even harder to become better.

Here’s the schedule

Attachments

• 4C64474C-AC7F-4781-B224-EC995AED6B96.jpeg
    4C64474C-AC7F-4781-B224-EC995AED6B96.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 32
Good post but are you more or less speaking for your parents? 15 year olds don't make the decision to move to another state. I might have been able to beg my parents to transfer to a neighboring district if I was legit miserable and kept pressuring them. That was pretty much the extent of my pull but those were different times I suppose.

But if they neighboring school districts offer the same thing, then you must find somewhere else to play. And maybe the kid has big dreams and the parents believe he has the tool set to accomplish it. Then the family did what’s best.

As I do agree with this post, nobody at any school but of course at a school like Hoban, parents know going into it, that not only is their kid trying to win a starting spot, they are trying to beat out the kid in grade above them. And not only worry every year about someone in grade improving from previous year but what Hoban brings in the following year. So your kid tries to beat out other kids but you don’t expect others to try to beat out yours? That’s the nature of big time programs, if you want more of a guarantee you go to small public schools , where you know who’s who and what’s coming. Just my thoughts, it sucks but quarterbacks are not only kids losing out to other kids or younger kids. Otherwise each team would only start seniors, No juniors or sophomores

From Charleston, West Virginia to Akron, Ohio❓
Point taken, family in area? Job opportunities?
Just saying l! Could be coincidence, could be recruiting? Does it matter ? Sports now have become the wild Wild West! College transfer portal.
LIL deals. NFL free agency. I’m not saying it’s good for sports. It’s just the new athlete of today. AAU basketball kids switch teams like underwear.
Baseball kids looking for better opportunities each year.

Legit, since it was result of a job transfer. Doesn’t Hoban cost a lot less than Ed’s or Ignatius? Could have been factor. Not all Catholics are the same. When was the last time you heard of a transfer at X or Elder?
Didn’t a quarterback like 10 years ago transfer in at st Ed’s his senior year from Florida? From some reason I believe he did, he won a championship in Florida his junior year and got beat out in spring football in Florida and family moved here.
Am I smoking something? Does anyone remember this? If I’m wrong I’m sorry. Might have just been a urban legend but I’m pretty sure I heard this happened.

Ed’s and Ignatius do not accept transfers after sophomore year. Most of the transfers are kids that realize they aren’t getting enough playing time.
I glad you wrote this, being an Ed’s guy can you help me with this? About 10 years ago I thought I remember a kid transfer into Ed’s his senior year.
To start at quarterback at Ed’s, the kid won a state title in Florida but got beat out in spring ball in Florida so the family moved to Ohio and the kid started his senior year! Did this happen? Or am I losing my mind?

I glad you wrote this, being an Ed’s guy can you help me with this? About 10 years ago I thought I remember a kid transfer into Ed’s his senior year.
To start at quarterback at Ed’s, the kid won a state title in Florida but got beat out in spring ball in Florida so the family moved to Ohio and the kid started his senior year! Did this happen? Or am I losing my mind?
I was wrong the kid transferred in as a junior and started two years , Brett Kean was his name , so st Ed’s has taken in kids past freshman and sophomore’s to be fair in this debate

No my single mother sent me to live with my older brother and his wife because the small town where I lived had little opportunity. That and I couldn't stay out of trouble with all of my childhood friends. Going to a new school where I didn't know anybody gave me the fresh start I needed. Athletics provided me with discipline and eventually a college education for free.

maybe the family didn't have great employment in WV and was able to find affordable housing and job prospects that rivaled or beat what they were looking at in the south?

Hoban is a private school and they recruit, and lately...very well. It would be different if it was a public school and we were hearing how every kid that happened to "transfer" in had some loose and feebly constructed lineage from some distant relative. Instead Coach Tyrell just does a better job than most - hence the resurgence and run the Knights have had lately. Maybe the family has friends or family up this way and were looking for the best fit for them? who knows? Can you blame the kid if he really does have the goods and wants the exposure?

Winton Woods is the team to beat. They are loaded and ready to run it back. Hoban will stay D2 they have 327 boys. Winton woods has 523 boys they could possibly move up with CB number.

Status
Not open for further replies.