AP News is a joke

Zunardo just dug himself a huge hole.

EeTqQi8VoAIW3zS.png

? ?

Those are not the choices. He is super pissed that I accused him of misplacing blame on the AP. Did you see his rants? He really only has 3 choices at this point.

1. Agree with me and say he has no issue with the AP reporting of the story and I will apologize.
2. Disagree with me and blame the AP, but in doing so admit that I never mischaracterized his position.
3. Be a chickensh*t liar, and just ignore the central question.

I am good with any of the 3. What one do you think he is going with or do you just opt with #3 too?

This event is tragic. Even more of a reason to make sure it's accurate. But, political points are the narrative. Fake news
You know, if you're going to criticize an article and its author, it would be helpful if you would link it in the original post so we all know what you're talking about instead of a Breitbart piece commenting on the story and still doesn't link to. Otherwise, the rest of us have to guess.

Is this the article you take issue with?

If so, it contains this portion:

Trantalis, who is Fort Lauderdale’s first openly gay mayor, initially told reporters the act was deliberate, adding to the confusion Saturday night.

“It terrorized me and all around me ... I feared it could be intentional based on what I saw from mere feet away,” he said in a Twitter statement Sunday. “As the facts continue to be pieced together, a picture is emerging of an accident in which a truck careened out of control.”
It's entirely possible that bolded part was added later. That's part of the beauty of online journalism - it can be updated as more details are presented. But I don't know... no one made reference to the story in its initial form before they started shaking their fists.

Prov is right. Unless the author says the act was intentional, they owe no bit of apology or correction. When a news story quotes a source, all they're doing is telling the reader 'Person A said X', not 'we say X'.

You know, if you're going to criticize an article and its author, it would be helpful if you would link it in the original post so we all know what you're talking about instead of a Breitbart piece commenting on the story and still doesn't link to. Otherwise, the rest of us have to guess.

Is this the article you take issue with?

If so, it contains this portion:

It's entirely possible that bolded part was added later. That's part of the beauty of online journalism - it can be updated as more details are presented. But I don't know... no one made reference to the story in its initial form before they started shaking their fists.

Prov is right. Unless the author says the act was intentional, they owe no bit of apology or correction. When a news story quotes a source, all they're doing is telling the reader 'Person A said X', not 'we say X'.
The stupidity is even more egregious. The AP is a news wire service. Other media outlets, blogs, or other consumers subscribe to the AP service. News stories or commentary that you read often comes for the AP wire. In this case, Breitbart picked up the AP feed as a basis for their story which included quotes from the choir leader, the mayor, and the police. Breitbart, being who they are, wrote a story that focused who was to blame and came to a conclusion. They ignored the police statement in the AP story that the investigation is still open. If anybody mislead their audience, it is Breitbart.

Of course, the nut jobs on Yappi never read the AP wire. They stupidly claim it is fake news. They blame the AP and rant about media bias with zero clue what they are talking about. They just feed each other the BS in a gigantic circle jerk of bogus grievance.

Did they use "without evidence" or "unsubstantiated" in their article? How about "discredited"? "Conspiracy theory"? "Debunked"?

Interesting how these terms are in so many articles but seem to only be attributed to one side of the political spectrum...

Those terms are, and have been in every article having to do with Trump for over two years now. Almost every AP article should be on the op/ed pages, not the news pages. They, too, have become a disgrace. The profession has been destroyed.

Those terms are, and have been in every article having to do with Trump for over two years now. Almost every AP article should be on the op/ed pages, not the news pages. They, too, have become a disgrace. The profession has been destroyed.
Yeah. The AP should have attached "unsubstantiated" to the mayors quote, the director's quote, and the police statement. In fact, every quote the AP ever puts in their wire feeds should have a disclaimer. That sounds like a great idea.

The Cult keeps doubling down on dumb.

Yeah. The AP should have attached "unsubstantiated" to the mayors quote, the director's quote, and the police statement. In fact, every quote the AP ever puts in their wire feeds should have a disclaimer. That sounds like a great idea.
Or how about they stop using those words every time they write about a news story about the opposition?

It really is striking that using the word "opposition" is even an option when discussing a reporter. The MSM has no integrity. Amazingly, we've seen "baseless" claims turn into facts like Hunter Biden and Wuhan.

Or how about they stop using those words every time they write about a news story about the opposition?

It really is striking that using the word "opposition" is even an option when discussing a reporter. The MSM has no integrity. Amazingly, we've seen "baseless" claims turn into facts like Hunter Biden and Wuhan.
So now you want them to not do what you specifically asked them to do earlier in the thread? Can you show me a single AP wire that included disclaimers with quotes? How often do they do that?

The topic of this thread is "The AP is a Joke" with a direct reference to a Breitbart story. If you now want to conflate this topic with yet another discussion of biased media, go use another example. This is clearly not one of them no matter how much you try to shovel.

Last edited by a moderator:

In video, Trump recycles unsubstantiated voter fraud claims​

States cite smooth election, despite Trump’s baseless claims​

Trump’s view of flawed voting is baseless​

Trump spins baseless tale of ‘thugs’ flying to protests​

Senate hearing elevates baseless claims of election fraud​

Debunked COVID-19 myths survive online, despite facts​

Report spreads debunked claims about Dominion machines in Michigan county​

Debunked Ukraine conspiracy theory is knocked down - again​

Trump legal team’s batch of false vote claims​

With unsubstantiated claim, Trump sows doubt on US election​

Trump seizes on unsubstantiated China claims against Biden​

Ellison abuse claim unsubstantiated (Shocking - only one about a Democrat and the AP still one-sided)

Trump’s bogus claims about Biden win, vaccine​

Kobach supports Trump’s unsubstantiated voting fraud claims​

Election breathes new life into false ‘dead voter’ claims​

Regulator shares discredited conspiracy theories about COVID​

As trial nears, Trump keeps discredited Ukraine theory alive​

Trump’s ‘Big Lie’ imperils Republicans who don’t embrace it​

How to talk to believers of COVID-19 conspiracy theories​

Anatomy of a conspiracy: With COVID, China took leading role

All of these were first page on google searching for the various terms and apnews.com.

Yes, AP is biased and could have easily used their favorite terms to describe the Mayor's quote.

Also of interest, when the story broke, it was all about evil Trump supporter running down spectators at Gay Pride Parade. Now that it is a gay man running down people he knew, they only describe it as an accident. No mention of a possible motive or that the person may have done it intentionally as a domestic issue.

Most of MSM is leftist talking points. CNN is the leader. The Traditional news corporations are an albatross to whoever owns them, but they can mitigate the loss by delivering any propaganda for the right price.

Ellison abuse claim unsubstantiated (Shocking - only one about a Democrat and the AP still one-sided)

All of these were first page on google searching for the various terms and apnews.com.

Yes, AP is biased and could have easily used their favorite terms to describe the Mayor's quote.

Also of interest, when the story broke, it was all about evil Trump supporter running down spectators at Gay Pride Parade. Now that it is a gay man running down people he knew, they only describe it as an accident. No mention of a possible motive or that the person may have done it intentionally as a domestic issue.
I can’t believe people are supporting this as simply publishing a verbatim quote and there is no journalistic malpractice involved.

For the mayor to go on record and call this out as a hate crime against the LGTBQ+ community is an incredibly strong statement guaranteed to cause some amount of unrest. And that statement is owned by the mayor. But, shouldn’t the journalist have pressed the mayor with probing questions on what evidence or information the mayor had to label this a hate crime? Don’t journalists confirm sources with secondary corroborating evidence? Witnesses to the accident would have known the driver was a member of the marching group and digital pictures of the truck with the Pride flag would have all been evidence to bring scrutiny to mayor’s statement.

The AP should be better than this. They found a story that initially aligned with a narrative they wanted to push and went forward without performing proper journalistic and editorial due diligence. The mayor’s quote was false, not backed by any evidence, and added nothing to the truthful telling of the story. It was in there only for shock value and a should have been edited out of the story. Right wing or Left wing, we should all be demanding that journalists do better.

Most of these look true. You just do not want to hear or accept the truth.

Why are you conflating this? Show me where the AP feed on this is biased or fake in any way. I showed you how the Breitbart story based on the wire was biased. Further, I guarantee you that if the mayor continued to make the same claim for the next two months, the AP would caveat his quotes. Answer me this question.... If the AP wire on this was intended to be biased, why did they include the quote from the director? Why did they include the police statement that this was still under investigation?

You all can spin and conflate and justify all you want. Nobody is debating that every media outlet has bias. The question here is that is the AP guilty of fake news or bias in this situation. It is obviously not and any assertion otherwise is without a shred of evidence and is just another Cult lie.

I can’t believe people are supporting this as simply publishing a verbatim quote and there is no journalistic malpractice involved.

For the mayor to go on record and call this out as a hate crime against the LGTBQ+ community is an incredibly strong statement guaranteed to cause some amount of unrest. And that statement is owned by the mayor. But, shouldn’t the journalist have pressed the mayor with probing questions on what evidence or information the mayor had to label this a hate crime? Don’t journalists confirm sources with secondary corroborating evidence? Witnesses to the accident would have known the driver was a member of the marching group and digital pictures of the truck with the Pride flag would have all been evidence to bring scrutiny to mayor’s statement.

The AP should be better than this. They found a story that initially aligned with a narrative they wanted to push and went forward without performing proper journalistic and editorial due diligence. The mayor’s quote was false, not backed by any evidence, and added nothing to the truthful telling of the story. It was in there only for shock value and a should have been edited out of the story. Right wing or Left wing, we should all be demanding that journalists do better.
First, a news wire does not do investigative reporting in this situation. They are paid to provide reports in as near real time as possible. The reporter likely did not have access to a detailed interview of the mayor and was just including his public statement in the wire report. Did you expect the reporter to do the same scrutiny of the director who said it was an accident?

BTW...The AP did not find the story and align it to a narrative. They described the events. They quoted a mayor who said it was an attack. They quoted the director who sad it was an accident. They referenced the police statement that said it was still an open investigation. You could not get more unbiased reporting of the event. Meanwhile, Breitbart who never had a reporter on the story, took the AP feed and created a narrative for readers that totally omitted the part about the police saying this is an open investigation into motive.

Also of interest, when the story broke, it was all about evil Trump supporter running down spectators at Gay Pride Parade.
I wish I had a way to believe this, but no one provided the story as it initially appeared or quoted it here so it could be permanent in the case that the AP updated the story.

So, what specific language did the story use to characterize the driver as an "evil Trump supporter?"

The Cult keeps doubling down on dumb.

It went right over your head ........not surprising.

I wish I had a way to believe this, but no one provided the story as it initially appeared or quoted it here so it could be permanent in the case that the AP updated the story.

So, what specific language did the story use to characterize the driver as an "evil Trump supporter?"
It did not characterize the driver that way. I went to the AP feed as soon as I read the Breitbart story. It was the most vanilla news feed you could imagine. A description of events and a couple of public quotes. That is it. The issue is that the nut jobs never read the AP article. They just started a fake news narrative and fed it into the propaganda machine. You can fact check them to death and they continue to lie and conflate. It is simply what they do.

It went right over your head ........not surprising.
Reminds me of the saying, "you can lead a horse to water but cannot make them drink".

The whole point was that the AP consistently uses loaded words for describing quotes from Republicans. In this instance, when it was entirely appropriate, they backed off and simply quoted the Mayor making a harmful and dangerous statement.

If the AP never printed their opinions about remarks from public officials, they would be OK. But they have shown great bias making remarks about Trump while letting this weasel Mayor off the hook because it fit their narrative.

Reminds me of the saying, "you can lead a horse to water but cannot make them drink".

The whole point was that the AP consistently uses loaded words for describing quotes from Republicans. In this instance, when it was entirely appropriate, they backed off and simply quoted the Mayor making a harmful and dangerous statement.

If the AP never printed their opinions about remarks from public officials, they would be OK. But they have shown great bias making remarks about Trump while letting this weasel Mayor off the hook because it fit their narrative.
So the article was biased because they did not caveat the mayor quote? Should they have just caveated his quote or in the spirit of fairness. should they have caveated the directors quote too?

Most are probably direct quotes

What is not factual about this quote? Do you believe trump won the election?