Anybody here legally change their name?

Zunardo

Anyone here go thru a name change as an older child, especially from parents being divorced/widowed and remarried? Or has anyone changed their name as an adult for reasons other than marriage?

Going thru some old school photos, and I ran across some classmates I remember having their last names changed - I'm assuming due their parents being divorced or widowed, remarriage, etc. One girl used three different last names thru middle school before finally settling on her birth name.

I knew a Polish guy at work, last name had 6 consonants in a row, had his changed to a more Murican one. Another co-worker did the non-traditional thing and changed his last name to his wife's last name when they got married. Another guy with the first name Lynn had it changed to Len (still pronounced Lynn) in his late 30's. I think he felt that other folks assumed the spelling was for a girl's name, and he never cared for that. I'd known him since grade school, and I never though that, although I knew it was a name that could belong to either a boy or girl.

Anyone here go thru a name change as an older child, especially from parents being divorced/widowed and remarried? Or has anyone changed their name as an adult for reasons other than marriage?

Going thru some old school photos, and I ran across some classmates I remember having their last names changed - I'm assuming due their parents being divorced or widowed, remarriage, etc. One girl used three different last names thru middle school before finally settling on her birth name.

I knew a Polish guy at work, last name had 6 consonants in a row, had his changed to a more Murican one. Another co-worker did the non-traditional thing and changed his last name to his wife's last name when they got married. Another guy with the first name Lynn had it changed to Len (still pronounced Lynn) in his late 30's. I think he felt that other folks assumed the spelling was for a girl's name, and he never cared for that. I'd known him since grade school, and I never though that, although I knew it was a name that could belong to either a boy or girl.
Are you sure it wasn't Joe Btfsplk with seven consecutive consonants?

Wow! You know a lot of people who have changed their last names. I can't think of any, but then I'm anti-social so...

Wife's best friend had a convoluted Lithuanian name and hated it, was happy as heck when she got married. Fast forward 15 year slater she goes through a messy divorce and decides to not go back to the maiden name but took her mom's first name. Easy squeezy if I remember correctly.

Are you sure it wasn't Joe Btfsplk with seven consecutive consonants?

Wow! You know a lot of people who have changed their last names. I can't think of any, but then I'm anti-social so...
You really don't know who Zunardo is? He's talking about his friend Mr. Myxlplyx.

Went to school with a kid whose last name was changed. He then disappeared for a few years and when he came back he had a completely different name. I have no idea what happened but he came back as a Jr. so there is that.

Also have a cousin who was given a unique first name that was shortened to a more common one for every day use. For his 18th birthday he asked his parents to let him change his first name to the shortened version because he was only ever using the full version on legal forms.

Have read some stories about single adult women changing their last names to match their step-dad's as a way to let him "adopt" her.

When Alexa Vega (Carmen from the Spy Kids franchise) married Carlos Pena (Big Time Rush, I am aware a number of you have no idea who either is) they choose to both change their last names to PenaVega.

It's a shame that anyone would change their native name for a better sounding one. Your last name has been carried on for generations, then you go and change it because you don't like the sound of it. Pretty dumb imo

My mother's father will be the last male in the family line, and the name will be lost forever. I've always found that kind of sad.

Went to school with a kid whose last name was changed. He then disappeared for a few years and when he came back he had a completely different name. I have no idea what happened but he came back as a Jr. so there is that.

Also have a cousin who was given a unique first name that was shortened to a more common one for every day use. For his 18th birthday he asked his parents to let him change his first name to the shortened version because he was only ever using the full version on legal forms.

Have read some stories about single adult women changing their last names to match their step-dad's as a way to let him "adopt" her.

When Alexa Vega (Carmen from the Spy Kids franchise) married Carlos Pena (Big Time Rush, I am aware a number of you have no idea who either is) they choose to both change their last names to PenaVega.
Hey, I’m not THAT far out of it, lol. I remember the girl vaguely from seeing the SK flicks , and I think Pena is that funny guy in The Martian and Antman. PenaVega, that’s creative.

That’s interesting about adult women changing their last name for the stepdad.

It's a shame that anyone would change their native name for a better sounding one. Your last name has been carried on for generations, then you go and change it because you don't like the sound of it. Pretty dumb imo

My mother's father will be the last male in the family line, and the name will be lost forever. I've always found that kind of sad.
We are in that situation where if my son does not have a boy to carry the name on it will be gone. He has two wonderful daughters, no sons and no more kids will be coming. Before my dad's passing I brought this up and what he said really made sense. When all are gone with our last name who will be left to care? With families having fewer children I think names will be retiring more often than in the passed.

My wife's friend changed her name after her divorce. Instead of going back to her maiden name (her father molested her) and carrying on the family name, she changed her last name to her half her middle name. Ex. Katie MaryJane Williams became Katie Mary Jane.

Hey, I’m not THAT far out of it, lol. I remember the girl vaguely from seeing the SK flicks , and I think Pena is that funny guy in The Martian and Antman. PenaVega, that’s creative.

That’s interesting about adult women changing their last name for the stepdad.
Michael Pena is the funny guy in Antman. I assume he was also in the Martian but I did not see that.

Michael Pena is the funny guy in Antman. I assume he was also in the Martian but I did not see that.
Ah, thanks for the correction. I just remembered his name was Pena. Yes, Michael Pena was one of Matt Damons fellow crew members that came back to rescue him. In the book his character would hack into the captains email and send the castaway racy messages.

Interesting!

1. I can't imagine how hard that is to do when you're already grown and have some self-identity. In your first example, I can think of somebody famous that did that, but the other way around and at a younger age. Leslie Lynch King Jr. became Gerald Ford, the 38th president. His name change was due to his mother leaving his father two weeks after his birth, and remarrying two years later.

2. Sounds reasonable, especially to a shortened version.

The Columbus Dispatch did a feature article 20 years ago on the legal process to change names, along with some examples of folks who agreed to be interviewed. My co-worker with the difficult Polish name was one of those interviewed. I have no idea if he had any qualms about family history, I didn't know him that well. I just remember thinking his old name was very cool.

You did bring to mind Paul Stanley of Kiss, born Stanley Bert Eisen. As a teen he told his parents he was going to change his name when he turned 18 because it wasn't cool. He was already thinking about image back then. His parents just said, "Well, when that time comes, have at it!". He just had a sister, so his father never had any Eisen grandchildren, but he did have two Stanley grandsons.

When I was 20 I had serious doubts as to my ability to find a wife and have a son to carry the name. Was relieved that my father's older brother had two grandsons with that last name, so I figured I was good to go. :cool:

My wife's friend changed her name after her divorce. Instead of going back to her maiden name (her father molested her) and carrying on the family name, she changed her last name to her half her middle name. Ex. Katie MaryJane Williams became Katie Mary Jane.
Sensible, I like that.

Not a legal change, but I used to go blind filing employee records at work, with all the Jr's, hyphenations, women married four times, et. We had a lady I'll call Sally Lou Smith. She married a guy named Jones, so she filed to change her name on her personnel file - except she forgot to put the middle initial L, and said her name was Sally Smith Jones. So all her records showed Sally S. Jones, and they'd all be filed under J instead of S. She'd get mad when she'd see that, but would never take the time to go back and have it listed Sally L. Smith-Jones.

Hmmm...eight consecutive consonants. Always one-upping.

Mr. M - I learn so many things on yappi each day.
It's edumacayshunul!

I remember seeing that guy back in 1966 when I'd read my cousin's comic books. Then they actually featured him in a Saturday cartoon episode two years later. I was ecstatic.

Interestingly, I know of two different guys named Lynn and a third who took his wife's last name when they got married.

My Wutang Clan name is Thug Midnight.

So that's cool.

And my Talk Like A Pirate name is Jolly Black Pearl.

Just OK.

Last edited:
Similar to others, there were some kids in school growing up who changed their last names. I assumed it was remarriage or father wasn’t around so I never asked reasons.

When I looked into my own last name on the internet, it looks like the spelling changed slightly whenever it came over from Europe... However, that was so far back I’m not sure anyone really knows for sure.

I’m proud of my last name but too much emphasis is placed on it considering we all have 4 grandfathers with 4 different last names (except you SWO posters who keep it in the family...)