Any Bids for Nationals yet from Ohio?

I don't think Vanguard is too worried about having too many Darby players. Next year when they have to decide between Salmons, Moldovan, Bowling, Lee, and Brinkerhoff I would say that Brinkerhoff is the only one that is absolutely necessary to keep, followed by Bowling. I agree with Central OH Football assessment of Lee. Not very athletic and his hands aren't good enough to make up for it. Will be hard for him to find a spot as a DS either with Mikesch, Gallagher, Salmons, and Woodson all being better options as passers

First of all.. Never questioned his talent or potential. He is a very good volleyball player. But you have to have good chemistry to win nationals. Teams he has been on aren't exactly loaded with chemistry, and I'm sorry but he's a big reason why

Point taken on potential. Just appeared to be a lot of negative chatter for one kid, though on a high profile club team. I also believe chemistry is critical for success but definitely not more so than talent. Ultimately talent will trump chemistry, as evidenced by Darby's run through State just last year, where Bowling played a huge role that last weekend. They may have been a little fortunate to have played our two Dayton schools, but you still have to win them on the court - and that group of young ones from Darby had a ton of talent.

Point taken on potential. Just appeared to be a lot of negative chatter for one kid, though on a high profile club team. I also believe chemistry is critical for success but definitely not more so than talent. Ultimately talent will trump chemistry, as evidenced by Darby's run through State just last year, where Bowling played a huge role that last weekend. They may have been a little fortunate to have played our two Dayton schools, but you still have to win them on the court - and that group of young ones from Darby had a ton of talent.
Excellent point Elk. All on this blog need to keep things in perspective. Why worry about next year when this year isn't over yet. OVR championships should be very entertaining with some quality 18's teams and the Vanguard 17's. Let's not lose sight that with all of the young talent at Vanguard, it is conceivable to have two VERY GOOD 18's teams next year. A lot can happen over the summer, so let's not rush to judgement on these young men.

Good luck to all teams this weekend.

They were probably 3rd from a talent standpoint and should have really never made it past X who choked mightily.

Anybody have any OVR results for the 18s?

I know..

15s - Cincinnati Attack 15-1
16s - Cincinnati Attack 16-1
17s - Cincinnati Attack 17-1 (could have been different if Vanguard 17 gold was there)
18s - ??

15's Attack over Vanguard
16's Attack over Vanguard
17's Attack won. Vanguard played 18's, but would have won
18's Vanguard over Attack

Who has the better club and why?

Depends what you mean by better club. Best 18s team? Better depth beyond first teams? Most successful team regardless of age group? Who sends more kids to play in college? Which kids improve the most during club season? Who has the better coaches? Who has the cooler flat-bill hats for coaches?

Besides the flat-bill hats I would say both clubs are very comparable

Depends what you mean by better club. Best 18s team? Better depth beyond first teams? Most successful team regardless of age group? Who sends more kids to play in college? Which kids improve the most during club season? Who has the better coaches? Who has the cooler flat-bill hats for coaches?

Besides the flat-bill hats I would say both clubs are very comparable

:laugh: they brought snapbacks back..

It would be very close, both clubs have very good top teams in each level. Some age levels are stronger, Attack seems to be stronger with the younger years. Vanguard seems to be stronger as the players grow and mature. Very hard to say if there is a better club.

What if your son wants to play in college?

I don't think that one club would be better off than the other in regards to prospects for college teams. Typically your play, visibility and attendance to various events would be how those college coaches will be gaining interest in the players. Both Attack and Vanguard go to the high profile tournaments so that would allow the visibility, so really if someone wants to play in college, it would have to come from that player/family as opposed to where they play their club ball.

It would be very close, both clubs have very good top teams in each level. Some age levels are stronger, Attack seems to be stronger with the younger years. Vanguard seems to be stronger as the players grow and mature. Very hard to say if there is a better club

This is a great point. Maybe Attack's coaches are better at the development years. And maybe Vanguard's coaches are better at coaching a more complex/advanced style at the junior/senior level. Would make sense why Attack won 15s, 16s, and 17s. Definitely agree that 17s would have been different with Vanguard there, (they did take 4th in the 18s). Plus, Attack 18 did lose to Vanguard 18-1 in the finals and won a tight 3 against Vanguard 18-2. So I suppose, 15 & 16 - I'd send my son to Attack, 17 & 18 - I'd send my son to Vanguard.

It would be very close, both clubs have very good top teams in each level. Some age levels are stronger, Attack seems to be stronger with the younger years. Vanguard seems to be stronger as the players grow and mature. Very hard to say if there is a better club

This is a great point. Maybe Attack's coaches are better at the development years. And maybe Vanguard's coaches are better at coaching a more complex/advanced style at the junior/senior level. Would make sense why Attack won 15s, 16s, and 17s. Definitely agree that 17s would have been different with Vanguard there, (they did take 4th in the 18s). Plus, Attack 18 did lose to Vanguard 18-1 in the finals and won a tight 3 against Vanguard 18-2. So I suppose, 15 & 16 - I'd send my son to Attack, 17 & 18 - I'd send my son to Vanguard.

Do keep in mind that the Attack team was without their starting setter. Just an FYI

Do keep in mind that the Attack team was without their starting setter. Just an FYI (TheDude)

That is very true, earlier in the season Attack 18-1 played Vanguard 18-1 and they beat them in 2. Malott was a big part of Attack's offense. So Attack could have ended up with a bid in St. Louis and 1st in OVR with Malott, but who really knows.

I've always held the position that the Cinci Attack players, mainly from private schools (Moe, Elder, X) all have played at solid middle school volleyball programs. That puts them ahead of the curve at the younger years when compared to Vanguard players who mainly attend public schools (more-so than Attack). After playing all through high school and club, the Columbus boys just catch up in the technical aspects they were lacking earlier.

I know this isn't always true, but I think it's more of a contributor rather than coaches being better at younger vs older age groups

I've always held the position that the Cinci Attack players, mainly from private schools (Moe, Elder, X) all have played at solid middle school volleyball programs. That puts them ahead of the curve at the younger years when compared to Vanguard players who mainly attend public schools (more-so than Attack). After playing all through high school and club, the Columbus boys just catch up in the technical aspects they were lacking earlier.

I know this isn't always true, but I think it's more of a contributor rather than coaches being better at younger vs older age groups

Very good point. I know in Elder feeders, they can start as early as 3rd or 4th grade. Typically public schools won't start until junior high.