Andy Dalton hit/ no suspension for Bostic

14Red

For those of you who follow the NFL closely, you may have seen Cowboy QB Andy Dalton take a vicious hit in the head by Redskin linebacker Jon Bostic. Bostic was ejected for a hit to a defenseless player. But here's my problem with this.

Dalton was knocked out briefly, he doesn't remember the hit and will likely not play this week. For Bostic, he missed the rest of the game. Period. It was announced yesterday that there would likely be no suspension, but a fine. If you saw the play, this was the textbook of what NOT TO DO as a defender. Dalton was horizontal, sliding to the ground when Bostic came in and blasted him. Those are the hits that the league is trying to get rid of. Frankly, I'm shocked that there isn't a multi game suspension.

And before you say the game is moving really fast, how can players change the way they play in a split second...nah...not this time. Bostic had time to maybe not miss Dalton, but at least pull back and just graze him. Dalton was nearly on the ground when hit. Thoughts?

For those of you who follow the NFL closely, you may have seen Cowboy QB Andy Dalton take a vicious hit in the head by Redskin linebacker Jon Bostic. Bostic was ejected for a hit to a defenseless player. But here's my problem with this.

Dalton was knocked out briefly, he doesn't remember the hit and will likely not play this week. For Bostic, he missed the rest of the game. Period. It was announced yesterday that there would likely be no suspension, but a fine. If you saw the play, this was the textbook of what NOT TO DO as a defender. Dalton was horizontal, sliding to the ground when Bostic came in and blasted him. Those are the hits that the league is trying to get rid of. Frankly, I'm shocked that there isn't a multi game suspension.

And before you say the game is moving really fast, how can players change the way they play in a split second...nah...not this time. Bostic had time to maybe not miss Dalton, but at least pull back and just graze him. Dalton was nearly on the ground when hit. Thoughts?

The NFL just talks a good game when it comes to Domestic Violence and Player Safety. See Andy Dalton hit (many others) and Antonio Brown signing another contract.

The NFL is unpredictable and often atrocious when it comes to these issues. Couldn't believe his teammates didn't have his back.

The NFL just talks a good game when it comes to Domestic Violence and Player Safety. See Andy Dalton hit (many others) and Antonio Brown signing another contract.
It's just inconsistent. I really thought for Bostic this was slam dunk. If you wanted to have a video of the hits the league doesn't want anymore, this is it. It would only had been worse if it was helmet to helmet.

I honestly don't know how any team in their right mind signs guys like Leveon Bell, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant...I mean you're just inviting trouble in your locker room. At lease Kap's still unemployed.

The NFL is unpredictable and often atrocious when it comes to these issues. Couldn't believe his teammates didn't have his back.
The players are all buddy buddy and friends off the field now, many have the same agents. And sadly I think it's an indication to how Dalton is portrayed on the team. Literally no one even challenged Bostic after that hit.

The players are all buddy buddy and friends off the field now, many have the same agents. And sadly I think it's an indication to how Dalton is portrayed on the team. Literally no one even challenged Bostic after that hit.
In the old days, Bostic would have left the game later on with a busted up knee.

What is amazing was the durability of players back in those days. I am a Bengals fan and Ken Anderson was the QB for Cincy in the 70's, rarely did he miss a snap let alone a game.
My only push on that is that while the equipment isn't as good as today, the players today are much bigger AND much faster and stronger. Look back at some of the highlights of the games in the 60's and 70's. Lineman, both sides were slow, lumbering guys. Linebackers where not the athletes they are today. So the hits were much, much less impactful. Certainly players got hurt back then, but the impact collisions were much different. I'd like to see some scientific studies of the hits and the speed. I'm sure they could do some simulations on that stuff these days.

The nature of the hits has changed with the equipment. You didn't see guys leading with their heads back in the day as it would lead to them losing their heads. The helmets allow them to become missiles with fewer repercussions than 40 to 50 years ago.