Andor

Rogue One is currently back in theaters leading up to Andor. Apparently they are showing a 12 minute preview of Andor during the showing, and it's getting great reviews.

Media has seen the first 4 episodes and first reactions are coming out. Many are mentioning the tone, in that it's more like an HBO drama than something you'd see on Disney. Also saw comments that it's unlike anything we've seen from Star Wars before, and that it has a more cinematic feel than the other Disney+ Star Wars shows. "Dark and Mature" are sentiments I've seen a few times.

Main negatives I've seen is episode length, that they are closer to 30 minute episodes than 60. The other being some though the first 2 episodes were a little slow.

"Rumor" (from a netflix insider) is that the whole series is ruined in episode 4.

Cannot wait for these to drop!@@@@@@@@@@@@

Media has seen the first 4 episodes and first reactions are coming out. Many are mentioning the tone, in that it's more like an HBO drama than something you'd see on Disney. Also saw comments that it's unlike anything we've seen from Star Wars before, and that it has a more cinematic feel than the other Disney+ Star Wars shows. "Dark and Mature" are sentiments I've seen a few times.
I’d say this lines up with Rogue One’s tone.

I agree with those who think it may start a little slow, but it definitely has the look and feel you want from a Star Wars show. It definitely picks up as you get into the third episode which really sets the stage for the rest of the season. Visually it looks incredible.

I finally caught the 1st 3 episodes and so far it is good but not great. On the positive it does feel like a more mature nuanced story is brewing, no pandering to the lowest common denominator with the famous Disney explanation scenes for the kids/dummies that can slow down the pace. You can see too that war theme of Rouge One is back and I really get a an "Enemies at the Gates" vibe from the abandoned warehouse scene, very cool. Acting is also solid with all roles believable other than the boogie man seems very stiff but that may be his MO, we shall see. On the negative is pacing, this thing probably could have been edited down into a 1 hour show of action as opposed to 3 segments of 30ish minutes of non-intro/credit show, I actually fell asleep watching episode 1. Now that they move to weekly episodes it may be best to skip a couple weeks and watch in groups, may keep it from getting disjointed.

I finally caught the 1st 3 episodes and so far it is good but not great. On the positive it does feel like a more mature nuanced story is brewing, no pandering to the lowest common denominator with the famous Disney explanation scenes for the kids/dummies that can slow down the pace. You can see too that war theme of Rouge One is back and I really get a an "Enemies at the Gates" vibe from the abandoned warehouse scene, very cool. Acting is also solid with all roles believable other than the boogie man seems very stiff but that may be his MO, we shall see. On the negative is pacing, this thing probably could have been edited down into a 1 hour show of action as opposed to 3 segments of 30ish minutes of non-intro/credit show, I actually fell asleep watching episode 1. Now that they move to weekly episodes it may be best to skip a couple weeks and watch in groups, may keep it from getting disjointed.

good call on the "Enemy at the Gates" feel.

Ep 4 was a decent enough set up episode but the big news is the Star Wars Universe has yet again dipped into Game of Thrones for acting talent. Qyburn and the Waif make an appearance.

Anyone else watch episode 5? Is it just me or is this becoming extremely boring. I had to fight sleep throughout. This latest episode was a lot of deep conversations. It went from one scene of Andor and his group talking, to a scene with Rael talking, to a scene with Syril talking to his mom, back to Andor talking to the team, then to Imperial officers talking, back to Andor talking, to Mon Mothma talking, etc.

This needs more action...soon.

Also, what's the deal with all these scenes with Imperials but no stormtroopers?

Anyone else watch episode 5? Is it just me or is this becoming extremely boring. I had to fight sleep throughout. This latest episode was a lot of deep conversations. It went from one scene of Andor and his group talking, to a scene with Rael talking, to a scene with Syril talking to his mom, back to Andor talking to the team, then to Imperial officers talking, back to Andor talking, to Mon Mothma talking, etc.

This needs more action...soon.

Also, what's the deal with all these scenes with Imperials but no stormtroopers?

It's a bit of a slow burn, at least by Star Wars standards. I don't think it's been any slower than say House of Dragons though (which of course is a very different kind of show), the topic of conversation is just different. One's certainly more schemey and deceitful than the other.

I haven't hit the point of boredom with House of Dragon...yet.

I mentioned it a couple weeks ago, but IMO one of the thing GoT does best is make every conversation feel like it has weight to it, and I think that is in part because of the nature of the show and the fact that every character is pretty much looking to screw someone else over at any point, so there's a lot of plotting and scheming that we see. It helps them keep things interesting even if there's not action. The tension rarely lets up.

I really think Disney is stretching these episodes out too much, this is clearly a set up for the big action that will come in the next episode. One reviewer called this the breakfast episode as that was unifying action for a big part of the episode was the key characters all having breakfast. Disney is milking these Star Wars series to the fullest to keep folks subscribed, (the Mando Uber episode being one of the more (in) famous ones) great for marketing but bad for the story telling. Cleary the 1st three episodes for Andor could have been just one long episode, this seems like the middle part of act 2 which will probably be resolved next week. What they do is drop a lot of stuff in for the big Star War geeks, many references to places and people that mean nothing to the casual fan but much to those that eat this stuff alive.

By the way a Star Wars tradition has returned full force, almost comical stereotyping a lesser character. While not up to Jar Jar Bink's level Syril Karn's mom is such a ridiculous Jewish mom trope, the only thing missing is the matzo ball soup.

I really think Disney is stretching these episodes out too much, this is clearly a set up for the big action that will come in the next episode. One reviewer called this the breakfast episode as that was unifying action for a big part of the episode was the key characters all having breakfast. Disney is milking these Star Wars series to the fullest to keep folks subscribed, (the Mando Uber episode being one of the more (in) famous ones) great for marketing but bad for the story telling. Cleary the 1st three episodes for Andor could have been just one long episode, this seems like the middle part of act 2 which will probably be resolved next week. What they do is drop a lot of stuff in for the big Star War geeks, many references to places and people that mean nothing to the casual fan but much to those that eat this stuff alive.

By the way a Star Wars tradition has returned full force, almost comical stereotyping a lesser character. While not up to Jar Jar Bink's level Syril Karn's mom is such a ridiculous Jewish mom trope, the only thing missing is the matzo ball soup.

The writers seems to have been broken up Andor into 3 episode chunks. In season 2 they are going to be separate time periods, but it seems they are doing the same for Season 1, but all within the same time period. I think it will work well for Season 2, but it's debatable if it's the right approach here in Season 1.

I do think Disney needs to hire more seasoned writers who have written for shows on say HBO, Showtime, etc... Disney+ is definitely still finding their way in correctly formatting scripted television IMO.

While not up to Jar Jar Bink's level Syril Karn's mom is such a ridiculous Jewish mom trope, the only thing missing is the matzo ball soup.
Speaking of….

They really had a scene where one of the bad guys (Syril) goes to his mom’s house and gets lectured by his mom while he eats Cocoa Puffs with blue milk. This goes on for like 5 minutes. Someone at Disney read this script and green lighted this.

Speaking of….

They really had a scene where one of the bad guys (Syril) goes to his mom’s house and gets lectured by his mom while he eats Cocoa Puffs with blue milk. This goes on for like 5 minutes. Someone at Disney read this script and green lighted this.

oddly enough, I've seen people online praise how well written that scene is.

oddly enough, I've seen people online praise how well written that scene is.
I guess if you are wuss and you want to go home to mommy so she can treat you like a little boy with coco puffs then berate you for having no future... But she has a plan and it involves her taking action by calling uncle to hook you up with something.

I guess if you are wuss and you want to go home to mommy so she can treat you like a little boy with coco puffs then berate you for having no future... But she has a plan and it involves her taking action by calling uncle to hook you up with something.

I think its more about what the conversation says about both characters. It's also followed up the scene of Mon Mothma and her daughter, and the different (and similar) dynamics.

I'm enjoying the slower pace.

Anyone else notice the device they were messing with in ep 5 looked like an old Polaroid camera spraypainted flat black?