Alter vs Trotwood Thursday September 8th

Knightnight

Alter comes into Trotwood 2-1 blowing out their last 2 DPS opponents. While Trotwood has lost 2 teams that were in the state titles games last year and an undefeated Fairmont team. Both teams are young and growing. Jeff Graham goes up against his former Head Coach and alma mater. Last time these two teams met Alter won 42-0.

Alter comes into Trotwood 2-1 blowing out their last 2 DPS opponents. While Trotwood has lost 2 teams that were in the state titles games last year and an undefeated Fairmont team. Both teams are young and growing. Jeff Graham goes up against his former Head Coach and alma mater. Last time these two teams met Alter won 42-0.
Likely a closer game this time but give me the Knights 28-14

Last time these two teams met it was Trotwood coming off of several weeks of not playing due to the Covid-19 Pandemic then playing three games 2 vs. DPS and Carrol, then meeting Alter in the Second round of the Playoffs. This can't count.

I bet there is not a Division 3 team in the state that has played the schedule Trotwood has played the first 3 games. A combined 8-0, D2 state Champ, D1 runner-up and a Fairmont team that is going to be a 2 win playoff team this year, plus one of the more physical teams around here in a long time.

The Rams were in all of those games through halftime except Springfield, who I would be surprised if they don't make it back this year. "Loaded" For once they are going to see a team that is not as deep, not as big and not as athletically talented then them, or more physical. I hope Alter is not banking on the the win two years ago as a gauge for this year. I think the Rams get there first win.

Rams will be out for revenge. They have played a very tough schedule out of the gate. Expect close game. Think it will come down to which team makes the fewest mistakes. Can 't get a feel for this one.

You know, it is a bizarre thing for me. Jeff Graham has won 2 state titles and been to multiple final fours and yet I do not think of Trotwood Madison as the powerhouse I did when Mo was there. I have no idea why and am sure my instincts on the subject are off the mark. I am not sure what more he could possibly do, as his results and career as a coach speak for themselves. Just one of those brain anomalies that happens to human beings sometimes I guess. Just to add to the weirdness, Graham was the best player in the best high school basketball game I have ever seen. A multi-overtime tournament affair against a Kurt Taylor-Mark Baker Dunbar squad that beat the Knights that evening. Graham was spectacular. Likely the best individual performance I have ever seen in any hs game. I have officially decided (although i understand that no one cares) that I must give him his coaching due and quit the ridiculous short changing that has somehow been in my mind for the past couple of years. Not that he would ever have any reason to give a what I thought in the first place. All that said, I will take Alter in a close one this week. But I do so with little conviction.:rolleyes:

Maybe because Douglas coached teams would not have lost many of the games Graham has lost.

Alter by whatever score they want. I don’t see Trotwood being remotely competitive with Alter and it’s rapidly growing offense.

You know, it is a bizarre thing for me. Jeff Graham has won 2 state titles and been to multiple final fours and yet I do not think of Trotwood Madison as the powerhouse I did when Mo was there. I have no idea why and am sure my instincts on the subject are off the mark. I am not sure what more he could possibly do, as his results and career as a coach speak for themselves. Just one of those brain anomalies that happens to human beings sometimes I guess. Just to add to the weirdness, Graham was the best player in the best high school basketball game I have ever seen. A multi-overtime tournament affair against a Kurt Taylor-Mark Baker Dunbar squad that beat the Knights that evening. Graham was spectacular. Likely the best individual performance I have ever seen in any HS game. I have officially decided (although i understand that no one cares) that I must give him his coaching due and quit the ridiculous short changing that has somehow been in my mind for the past couple of years. Not that he would ever have any reason to give a what I thought in the first place. All that said, I will take Alter in a close one this week. But I do so with little conviction.:rolleyes:
Look at the run from about 2009 -2019. Arguably the most accomplished program in the state in that 10 year time span. Including 3 state championships and a couple of runner-ups. Graham was the OC for the first and the head coach for the next two. Also how easily we forget that the championship year in 17 Graham took his team to Pick Central and beat the #1 rated and eventual state champion in Division 1 in the great state of Ohio! 15-0 Beat Wayne, Troy, Piqua that year too all playoff teams. He did that, then came back in 19 and won it again.

Also it wasn't until Graham came along that many believe that Mo Doug got over the hump because of their cohesiveness coaching together as a head coach and OC. This lead to Mo's first state championship. Graham has two. Mo Built it, without a doubt. Graham took it to the next level and carried the torch for almost 10 years.

Trotwood is down. The tornado, Covid-19. It took something out of the program. They have talent but no where near it was in the past several years. But Graham still plays anybody anywhere. Kids are tough and resilient but they just do not have the talent to compete at this level they have played the last three weeks. They are young up front and although the QB is a Jr. he missed a whole year of football due to the Covid-19 shutdown. But, I think the schedule get easier from here. 7-3, 6-4 is not out of the question. This means playoffs again and possibly another run in D3. Graham is quiet and unassuming. A humble guy that let's the kids do the talking. Right now the dude is coaching the JV team as well. He has done it for years. He wants those kids to get the same push and challenge he does with the varsity. He is a selfless man who deals with a lot of kids with some sketchy situations and does not let them make excuses for themselves or the program. The man does not get enough respect for what the does.

Last edited:
Look at the run from about 2009 -2019. Arguably the most accomplished program in the state in that 10 year time span. Including 3 state championships and a couple of runner-ups. Graham was the OC for the first and the head coach for the next two. Also how easily we forget that the championship year in 17 Graham took his team to Pick Central and beat the #1 rated and eventual state champion in Division 1 in the great state of Ohio! 15-0 Beat Wayne, Troy, Piqua that year too all playoff teams. He did that, then came back in 19 and won it again.

Also it wasn't until Graham came along that many believe that Mo Doug got over the hump because of their cohesiveness coaching together as a head coach and OC. This lead to Mo's first state championship. Graham has two. Mo Built it, without a doubt. Graham took it to the next level and carried the torch for almost 10 years.

Trotwood is down. The tornado, Covid-19. It took something out of the program. They have talent but no where near it was in the past several years. But Graham still plays anybody anywhere. Kids are tough and resilient but they just do not have the talent to compete at this level they have played the last three weeks. They are young up front and although the QB is a Jr. he missed a whole year of football due to the Covid-19 shutdown. But, I think the schedule get easier from here. 7-3, 6-4 is not out of the question. This means playoffs again and possibly another run in D3. Graham is quiet and unassuming. A humble guy that let's the kids do the talking. Right now the dude is coaching the JV team as well. He has done it for years. He wants those kids to get the same push and challenge he does with the varsity. He is a selfless man who deals with a lot of kids with some sketchy situations and does not let them make excuses for themselves or the program. The man does not get enough respect for what the does.
I do not disagree, which is why I vowed to give it to him moving forward. I repeat that I have no idea why my brain went where it used to go. I know Jeff has had a positive affect on the program, hundreds of kids and the community. It was, as i hoped I explained in the original post just a weird brain anomaly of mine. Nothing on him. Kinda like sayin' Michael Jordan wasn't great because Oscar Robertson was. Silly, totally on me, and hence the original post.

Alter by whatever score they want. I don’t see Trotwood being remotely competitive with Alter and it’s rapidly growing offense.

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Trotwood QB was a star tonight. His speed was awesome. Ran all over, threw some nice passes as well. Tough one for the knights to lose. Trotwood should win out be tough when the playoffs start.

As much as I respect Coach Place for all his contributions to the high school football scene in the area, I don't think I can listen to 1 more broadcast with him involved.
Everyone and all their family members are legends lol. Coach Place is a staple in the Miami valley with football and what he does with character education. Great guy. I enjoy listening to him call games for the most part but I agree, we don’t care about family trees watching football.

All True 💯

Everyone and all their family members are legends lol. Coach Place is a staple in the Miami valley with football and what he does with character education. Great guy. I enjoy listening to him call games for the most part but I agree, we don’t care about family trees watching football.
i turn the sound down. love the man, hate the broadcaster. it is just unbearable.

Truth.

Congrats to Trotwood from WW fan.
That is a big win for the kids to get the first one.
I’ll be keeping an eye and rooting for the Rams come playoff time.

I was impressed with Carpenter. My first time seeing him play. I can't believe their NT, #99, is only a freshman. Kid is huge. What's the name of their LB that was all over the field? Number 46 or 47 I believe.

very nice win for the Rams. They have some young, talented players. Can't figure out Alter. Run the ball well, but continue to want to throw it, which they do not do nearly as well imo.
Don't think the problem was abandoning the run in favor of the pass. Alter ran counters to vary their pattern, it used pitches to probe the Trotwood D reads/roles. The challenge was to counter the speed of Trotwood, but that doesnt work if the Oline also doesn't get push which it didn't... Fairmont absolutely exposed this in game 1... The result was the Knights couldn't close out the 4th quarter.... As has been true for years a good qb can pick apart the scheme by attacking the edges with out routes... Running man w/o deep help is exploitable and has been an Achilles heel for years vs teams that can field a couple decent skilled receivers... The years Alter has been very good they've had a kid who could play centerfield and help over the top... Jeff Graham has read the playbook and it showed.

That cover 0 was exposed in the 2nd half. Graham made some adjustments and starting attacking the middle of the feild. Game over.

A good win. Withrow is tough. It will be another tough one. But if Rams win it will be likely be a 5 or 4 game streak heading into the playoffs with a lot of momentum. If they get rolling..... You never know. Ram Nation may be awakened.....

Good win last night.