Drew Minton - Mt Vernon
Matt Mancz - Archbishop Alter
Joey Piazza - Walsh Jesuit
Matthew Pyper - Chaminade Julienne
Perter Marth - St Francis DeSales

Coach of the Year: Brad Seislove - Walsh Jesuit
Coaches Achievement: Craig Erford - Archbishop Alter
Coaches Achievement: Andy Feltz - St Francis DeSales

D1: Jake Russell is a huge surprise at POY. He is skilled but not a dominant player and sort of came out of nowhere. Also surprised that Beer is down at 2nd team. St X only has 2 state worthy players on their roster?
D2: Melsop and Miller are a surprise as Melsop came out of nowhere and is not a a big time Ohio player and Miller has been injured. Also surprised that Luby is at the bottom of that list. Wilking drops down to 2nd team from last year is not a surprise. Shows how many players are overrated and underrated.

Talbot won a lot of accolades last season and rightly so, but this season I really believe Beer from St X got screwed. He should have POY in the South and I'd argue he's a top 2 setter in the state, how does that not get him on 1st Team? I probably would have voted him POY in the state if I had a vote.

Don't know enough about D2, but was surprised the kid from St Charles beat out guys from Alter and Walsh for POY.

Lots of factors in play here. East Region has by far the most teams, looks like EAST POY's carried lots of weight.

Both POYs could be argued against easily.
But, no surprise, as who knows how many coaches even bothered to vote. No mcNick players would suggest coach didn't vote.

I believe that these awards should be decided on the season you have (statistics) and also how big of a role you play in your teams success. Will Eichel won POY solely off of reputation of being committed to Ohio State, his team got knocked out early and he missed 1/3 of the season so his statistics are not possibly superior to anyone else on that list. The players that backpack their team to success (St X: Beer and Talbot, Walsh: Luby and Russell) should be the best candidates for POY.

Sometimes having 2 great players on your team can make it harder to win POY as well. A coach may vote Russel 1 and Eichel 2, then another may vote Luby 1 and Eichel 2.

Regardless, first team All State is a great accomplishment, and I'm sure winning States will mean way more to Beer, Russel, etc. than any POY award.

Talbot won a lot of accolades last season and rightly so, but this season I really believe Beer from St X got screwed. He should have POY in the South and I'd argue he's a top 2 setter in the state, how does that not get him on 1st Team? I probably would have voted him POY in the state if I had a vote.

Don't know enough about D2, but was surprised the kid from St Charles beat out guys from Alter and Walsh for POY.

I thought this too, typically the coaches of the players will tell all the other coaches who on their team is deserving for their votes. I would assume that Ferris told everyone that if they were going to vote for someone on his team, to vote for Talbot first. Who would know better than their own coach?

I thought this too, typically the coaches of the players will tell all the other coaches who on their team is deserving for their votes. I would assume that Ferris told everyone that if they were going to vote for someone on his team, to vote for Talbot first. Who would know better than their own coach?

Doubt Ferris had any conversations with the coach from Hilliard Bradley, Dublin Scioto, Medina, Brunswick, etc., etc.

If the votes were made public, I'm sure we would see stuff all over the board

In the State tournament thread, someone mentioned an all star game, and how cool that would be.

I'll take the D2 team over any DI team you can throw together.

Roster:
OH: Vandenbrock & Feltz
RS: Rhoades
S: Eichel
M: Melsop & Mancz
L: Ross Russell

Dominant team physically right there.

D2: Melsop came out of nowhere and is not a a big time Ohio player QUOTE]

Melsop did not come out of nowhere. He was first team all East Region last year, and the East region was loaded with talent in 2014.
Feltz
Eichel
MacManaway
Storcz
Randolph
Rhoades
Melsop

He has improved tremendously and is the most physical player in DII right now.

Last edited:
Agreed that a d2 all star team could easily take the d1 all star team. Stronger teams in d1 but the individual players, especially the outsides, are much stronger in d2. Luby, Vandenbrock, Feltz, Rhoades all fantastic outsides. According to final stat sheet Luby led the state in kills with 273, Vandenbrock came in with with 218, Feltz with 224. The only comparison in d1 to any of these 3 is Talbot IMO

Agreed that a d2 all star team could easily take the d1 all star team. Stronger teams in d1 but the individual players, especially the outsides, are much stronger in d2. Luby, Vandenbrock, Feltz, Rhoades all fantastic outsides. According to final stat sheet Luby led the state in kills with 273, Vandenbrock came in with with 218, Feltz with 224. The only comparison in d1 to any of these 3 is Talbot IMO

Is this just referring to DII in the kill count?

Just curious, because if DI is included, I am pretty sure Tim Laib from Oak Hills is the leader in kills for the year with 374 this year.

http://gmcsports.com/statsPage.aspx?satc=251&v=a&div=1&sort=14&year=2014&stat=a

Some of those stats sound good, but some of the stats that I have seen coaches post are laughably fabricated and exaggerated

The All-star awards are always sort of controversial. Too often one player on a team will have great statistics because they're the only competent player on their team, not because they're actually dominant.