All Region and All State Team Predictions

Brambleberry

Who have you got as contenders for regional POY's and 1st team all state?

My short and uninformed list :angel:

Division 1 1st Team All State
Pung
Klusman
Bowles
Mikesch
Holzheimer
Moldovan
Szwabinsky

I think Pung, Klusman, Mikesch, Holzheimer, and Moldovan are all pretty close to locks for 1st team in state.

The rest of the season in the GCL south probably dictates at least one of the spots. If Elder wins out, Witte may get a nod. Moeller could mean Kiser and/or Bowles. X could mean that Huber or Roberts joins Pung. If LaSalle upsets a team or 2, Goldschmidt may sneak in there too. Evan Kuhlman was probably on pace to finish there until his injury, so he may remain on there too.

Off the top of my head in no order I'm taking

Deion Woodson - Westerville South
Brad Brinkerhoff - Darby
Luke Bowles - Moe
Mark Klusman - Elder
Ben Pung - St. X
Henry Huber - St. X
Mason Moldovan - Darby

I'm not putting Mikesh on there. Sure he's good, but I don't think he's playing at the level of these kids, and their team doesn't have a quality win. All of the kids on this list have beaten one or more of the other players listed.

My picks for 1st team All-Region for South in D1:
(which is basically 1st team GCL South - because I don't see anyone from Oak Hills or Fairfield getting a nod except maybe Fairfield's setter)

Pung - X
Klusman - Elder
Bowles - Moe
Goldschmidt - LS
Huber - X
Kiser - Moe
Albers - Elder
Wood - LS

Players for South D1 second team and HM possibilities:
Other GCL South:
Williams - LS
Koenig - E
Witte - E
McCarthy - X

Non GCL-South:
Kaiser - OH
Chenoweth - FF
Hines - Princeton
Anderson - OH
Middle from FF (name?)
Knight - Mason
Kroeger - Milford
Niven - Loveland
Hagerty - Walnut Hills

Is Holzheimer the setter from Ignatius?
If that's the case then I see the list being:

1st Team
Klusman - Elder
Pung - St X
Mikesh - Beavercreek
Holzheimer - St Ignatius
Moldovan - Darby
Woodson - Westerville South
Kuhlman - Lakota East

These other guys likely on 2nd Team:
Witte - Elder
Bowles - Moeller
Huber or Roberts - St X
Brinkerhoff - Darby

1st Team
Klusman - Elder
Pung - St X
Holzheimer - St Ignatius
Moldovan - Darby
Woodson - Westerville South
Kiser- Moeller

These other guys likely on 2nd Team:
Mikesh - Beavercreek (I agree with 513 on rationale)
Witte, Albers - Elder
Luers - Moeller
Huber - St X
Bowling- Darby
Kuhlman - Lakota East - Haven't seen. Based on results against weaker teams.

Based on what my eyes have seen and who looks like they get game planned for.

D-1 first team all state

Pung-St Xavier
Klusman-Elder
Brinkerhoff-Darby
Szwabinsky-Westerville South
Moldovan-Darby
Witte-Elder
Huber/Egan-St Xavier/Moeller

D-1 second team all state

Mikesch-Beavercreek
Bowles-Moeller
Woodson-Westerville South
Kiser-Moeller
Carpenter-Westerville South
Holzheimer-St. Ignatius
Huber/Egan-St Xavier/Moeller

Mikesch would be first team if playing normal Libero position

Every regional POY will be 1st team all state. So Holzheimer and Mikesch are almost certainly locks. Pung, Klusman, and Bowles are also locks IMO as they are the pretty clear standouts on their teams. Then you have two spots out of the East region for Darby and WS' top players. Moldovan/Brinkerhoff and Woodson/Szwabinsky.

First team all state team

:soapbox: In my humble opinion:

There is no way that Witte is 1st team all state or 2nd team. There have got to be a number of better middles in this state. To start with I'll take Goldschmidt from LaSalle all day long over Witte. :wallbang:

Unfortunately the team result often helps a player reach 1st or 2nd Team status. Look no further than Wernery last year winning POY over Clarke. Though to say that Witte isn't deserving of 2nd Team is comical.

Unfortunately the team result often helps a player reach 1st or 2nd Team status. Look no further than Wernery last year winning POY over Clarke. Though to say that Witte isn't deserving of 2nd Team is comical.

Exactly. Normally the best player on the team that wins GCL South is the de facto regional POY and their second best player gets a bump in the awards voting. I think he might get squeezed out of 1st team in the state, but he's one of 10ish guys in the state with a legit shot at it. No way does he fall past the 2nd team, barring Elder falling off a cliff and/or an injury.

Brinkerhoff is better than Bowles. I have seen both matches they played in Ohio and it is plain to see. Mikesch is the best player in the state but not as a hitter. That being said the voting doesn't always reward the best players. How would you rank the top players at each position in D1?

Based on where they play for their respective H.S. teams...

S- Klusman
S- Holzheimer
S- Szwabinksy
S- Roberts
S- Luers

OH- Pung
OH- Brinkerhoff
OH- Bowles
OH- Mikesch
OH- Walker
OH- Albers
OH- Chico

MH- Moldovan
MH- Kuhlman
MH- Witte
MH- Kiser
MH- Goldschmidt

L- Huber
L- Egan

Based on where they play for their respective H.S. teams...

S- Klusman
S- Holzheimer
S- Szwabinksy
S- Roberts
S- Luers

OH- Pung
OH- Brinkerhoff
OH- Bowles
OH- Mikesch
OH- Walker
OH- Albers
OH- Chico

MH- Moldovan
MH- Kuhlman
MH- Witte
MH- Kiser
MH- Goldschmidt

L- Huber
L- Egan

This is a list I can agree with. Only players I would include being: Woodson (WS), Gallagher (WS), and Koenig (Elder). I'd have both outsides somewhere between Mikesch and Albers and Gallagher may not be above any of the middles mentioned, but certainly deserves mention

Every regional POY will be 1st team all state. So Holzheimer and Mikesch are almost certainly locks. Pung, Klusman, and Bowles are also locks IMO as they are the pretty clear standouts on their teams. Then you have two spots out of the East region for Darby and WS' top players. Moldovan/Brinkerhoff and Woodson/Szwabinsky.

I disagree about Holzheimer, last year Michals and Margevicius were the only two juniors on 1st team all state last year. I think they both will receive more votes the Holtzheimer.

S- Swabinsky? I honestly haven't seen many good setters
OH1- Brinkerhoff. I don't think hes been getting enough credit. From the 2 or 3 matches I've seen from him, he's the heart & soul of that team. If he's off, that whole team is off.
OH2- Pung. Tore through Darby pretty much single handily. It also helps his case that he's in the hardest region in the state. Prime time player.
MH1- Moldovan. When he's in the offense or better yet wants to be, he's pretty unstoppable.
MH2- Kiser. He's the better middle on the best middle duo in the state, enough said.
RS- Klusman. Certainly gives him an edge being a lefty and having a cannon of a serve. Great hitter. What else do you want in a RS?
L- Mikesh. Sure he doesn't play L for his HS, but at L he's pound for pound one of the top players in the state.

Is this you picking the best players to play in a match or picking your All State Team? They probably shouldn't be, but the two are different.

Is this you picking the best players to play in a match or picking your All State Team? They probably shouldn't be, but the two are different.

Its the age old question: Should All-State voting be the 7 best players or 1 player at each position? To avoid starting/engaging in that argument I simply picked my starting 7.

Although this would be a solid list too:

S- Holzheimer? I haven't seen him play, but looking at this thread I'm going to assume he can ball.
OH1- Woodson. Go to guy for Westerville who has taken down Moeller, Iggy, & Beavercreek.
OH2- Bowles. He's their go to guy in or out of system who took down Elder & X.
MH1- Carpenter. One of the top 5 middles in the state.
MH2- Witte. Ditto ^
RS- Miller. He may be the most underrated RS in the state. Besides Klusman who else is there to talk about??
L- Huber. I could see him getting a few offers next year. He could be elite if he was 6'' taller.

Although this would be a solid list too:

S- Holzheimer? I haven't seen him play, but looking at this thread I'm going to assume he can ball.
OH1- Woodson. Go to guy for Westerville who has taken down Moeller, Iggy, & Beavercreek.
OH2- Bowles. He's their go to guy in or out of system who took down Elder & X.
MH1- Carpenter. One of the top 5 middles in the state.
MH2- Witte. Ditto ^
RS- Miller. He may be the most underrated RS in the state. Besides Klusman who else is there to talk about??
L- Huber. I could see him getting a few offers next year. He could be elite if he was 6'' taller.

Holzheimer can definitely ball. Plus he's quite clearly the heart and soul of that team, which adds to it. In the same vein, if you're talking strictly RS hitters, Quinn Flanagan from Ignatius is extremely impressive as well. And I don't mean "for a freshman" (because he is), he'd be in the conversation if he were a senior. Only seen him play a couple times, but he was very impressive each time.

As for other RSs, Wood at LaSalle is their only real offensive weapon outside of Goldschmidt and is having a nice season. Hubbard at Lakota East is the same deal, their clear #2 behind Kuhlman (and now #1 after his injury).

Last edited: