All electric vehicles...will not work.

I am retired and we have reduced down to one vehicle, so my road trip and everyday are the same . What should I do? Really like what I have right now , bought the vehicle that I really wanted as I wanted it new and payed cash for it.

Range is impacted dramatically in cold, and also in high temps, though less than in cold.
like I said haven’t really had a problem. long trips I usually take my wife’s car. In the winter I haven’t had to put the Tesla away due to it not performing well. Not saying you are wrong I personally just haven’t had any trouble yet

I am retired and we have reduced down to one vehicle, so my road trip and everyday are the same . What should I do? Really like what I have right now , bought the vehicle that I really wanted as I wanted it new and payed cash for it.
If it gets the job down then I think one is fine. Also depends how many people use it. Before I got a Tesla I had an Audi A4. Used that for long road trips and everyday. Had it for about 6 years and it served me very well. It just lost a lot of its value due to the high mileage, but that’s what I expected. I personally like one car a whole lot cheaper especially with the ridiculous gas prices

They already work. There are over a million of them being driven in the US in 2021.

I stopped a guy in the Home Depot parking lot that had a Tesla. ( About 2 hours ago) He pulled in beside me as I was leaving. I asked him how he liked it. "Best car he's ever had." He then told me that the biggest thing right now is planning trips but his driving is very predictable, so he has figured it out. He Travels to Pittsburgh and Columbus and had to figure that all out, but he said it's no big deal.

He said his biggest thing is he thinks a truck would be the way to go. He has to borrow his dads truck every once in a while, but he would with any car.
Great then buy one. But so far all you guys have shown me is that you like these vehicles better then gas powered. I'm not seeing any real info on the practical reasons why you like them better. You might as well be talking about the make/model or even color of the vehicle.

On one hand you people claim this is a technological and performance breakthrough that will render gasoline powered cars obsolete. Then you present evidence that is preference based NOT technology based. Bottom line is that there is nothing here that from a technology/performance standpoint would consign gas vehicles to the trash heap of history.

Just admit that you like electric cars, see some value in them for yourself and are goign to buy one when available. But stop the nonsense about how these vehicles represent any sort of superior technology to gas powered vehicles. They don't and its ridiculous to suggest that they represent the sort of technological jump that gas powered cars did over horse and buggy's.

Great then buy one. But so far all you guys have shown me is that you like these vehicles better then gas powered. I'm not seeing any real info on the practical reasons why you like them better. You might as well be talking about the make/model or even color of the vehicle.

On one hand you people claim this is a technological and performance breakthrough that will render gasoline powered cars obsolete. Then you present evidence that is preference based NOT technology based. Bottom line is that there is nothing here that from a technology/performance standpoint would consign gas vehicles to the trash heap of history.

Just admit that you like electric cars, see some value in them for yourself and are goign to buy one when available. But stop the nonsense about how these vehicles represent any sort of superior technology to gas powered vehicles. They don't and its ridiculous to suggest that they represent the sort of technological jump that gas powered cars did over horse and buggy's.
I simply replied to the "All Electric Vehicles.....will not work." They will, and they do. My car is 20 years old. I'm just fine with it. I hope it lasts me another 20. I will drive what is economical for me. I'm a point A to point B person. I have Nieces that drive hybrids. They love them. My son is looking at a Tesla or some other All Electric. If and when he pulls the trigger on that, I'm hoping to get a real nice 2018 Jetta 6 speed manual cheap or free. The guy I spoke with yesterday says his car has been nearly maintenance free. Tire pressure and looks at some fluid levels every 5000 miles or so. I'll probably have to wait until UNICEF gets into the used EV business until I get one.

I haven’t really took my Tesla on a trip that may have required me to stop and charge. Farthest I have gone was 4 hours of total driving. If I were required to charge on the trip I would probably take my wife’s car. For an everyday car that I use for my 20 minute drive to the office everyday, I don’t imagine driving any other car anytime soon.
The majority of cars never get driven over 400 miles in a day. As such, the objection about range does not apply to most buyers.

Reasons I like electric cars:

1. Performance - Acceleration in particular is superior over gas engines.
2. Maintenance - For the most part, you are talking about brakes and tires. Very little ongoing motor maintenance in comparison to gas engines.
3. Longevity - With so many fewer moving parts, these cars will last longer. Batteries will eventually need to be replaced but you are looking at 8-10 years.
4. Total Cost of Ownership - Contrary to what a few Yappi idiots say, the cost to charge is much less than gas. About $7-$9 per charge. Add in the lowered maintenance and an electric care is much cheaper to operate.
5. Technology - Generally speaking, the navigation, self driving, safety, and interior controls are very advanced.
6. Interior room - No block means far more room and storage per the dimensions of the car.

I don't even need to consider the eco benefit.

More like 20% and it will lose 5% just sitting there overnight.
Plug it in. Again, the majority of cars are never driving more than 300 or 400 miles per day. Range is a non issue for most car buyers. If you do a lot of long haul driving, don't buy one.

Plug it in. Again, the majority of cars are never driving more than 300 or 400 miles per day. Range is a non issue for most car buyers. If you do a lot of long haul driving, don't buy one.
If you are traveling, you can't plug it in. I would actually prefer an EV, over a hybrid, due to it being more simple than a hybrid.

Reasons I like electric cars:

1. Performance - Acceleration in particular is superior over gas engines. By how much?
2. Maintenance - For the most part, you are talking about brakes and tires. Very little ongoing motor maintenance in comparison to gas engines. I've put 141,000 miles on my SUV and the only extra maintenance I've had to do are oil changes every 5000 miles. I assume electric cars still require coolant and brake fluid maintenance?
3. Longevity - With so many fewer moving parts, these cars will last longer. Batteries will eventually need to be replaced but you are looking at 8-10 years. Do you know this or are you guessing?
4. Total Cost of Ownership - Contrary to what a few Yappi idiots say, the cost to charge is much less than gas. About $7-$9 per charge. Add in the lowered maintenance and an electric care is much cheaper to operate. As we move away from carbon sourced energy generation the cost of electricity will skyrocket. And you forget that taxes add a lot to gasoline costs. As the government looses this tax source you don't think they'll add one to electric charges to compensate? I suspect that when all is said and done the operating costs won't be very different.

5. Technology - Generally speaking, the navigation, self driving, safety, and interior controls are very advanced. They're very advanced in gas powered cars to.
6. Interior room - No block means far more room and storage per the dimensions of the car. Is this really true? Are electric cars bigger on average with more interior space and storage

I don't even need to consider the eco benefit.
This list reads like the differences in performance you would expect between low, medium and high priced gas powered vehicle models. Not as examples of any large technology gap between gas and electric.

This list reads like the differences in performance you would expect between low, medium and high priced gas powered vehicle models. Not as examples of any large technology gap between gas and electric.
1. The difference in acceleration is massive. For most models at least 2x if not more.
2. As I said, maintenance includes tires and brakes. Electric motors do not require any coolant that I am aware of. 141,000 miles without meaningful maintenance beyond oil changes is an aberration. Regardless, even if you just count oil changes, EV’s are less.
3. Longevity is basic common sense. Much fewer things can go wrong. As an example, I live in a community where it is common to have a golf cart to get around. I bought a new electric cart in 2012 and have not spent a dime on it until this year when I replaced the batteries. It should run for another 8-9 years without any problem.
4. TCO will always be lower even if they figure out how to tax it. Battery technology will continually get better and more efficient.
5. EC’s are cutting edge technologically. It’s not even debatable. Gas cars adopt what EV’s develop.
6. Electric cars are not bigger. In most cases they may be smaller but without an engine block and power train, they are more roomy than a gas car of equal size.

Just wait to see what the industry brings to market in the next 5 years.

1. The difference in acceleration is massive. For most models at least 2x if not more.
2. As I said, maintenance includes tires and brakes. Electric motors do not require any coolant that I am aware of. 141,000 miles without meaningful maintenance beyond oil changes is an aberration. Regardless, even if you just count oil changes, EV’s are less.
3. Longevity is basic common sense. Much fewer things can go wrong. As an example, I live in a community where it is common to have a golf cart to get around. I bought a new electric cart in 2012 and have not spent a dime on it until this year when I replaced the batteries. It should run for another 8-9 years without any problem.
4. TCO will always be lower even if they figure out how to tax it. Battery technology will continually get better and more efficient.
5. EC’s are cutting edge technologically. It’s not even debatable. Gas cars adopt what EV’s develop.
6. Electric cars are not bigger. In most cases they may be smaller but without an engine block and power train, they are more roomy than a gas car of equal size.

Who cares ? Go buy two.

It is a no brainer. Know your audience. lol

It is a no brainer. Know your audience. lol
The discussion reminds me of a conversation we had with my Dad when I was a kid. Microwave ovens had been out for a few years and we asked why we did not have one. He came up with a laundry list of excuses why they were a bad idea. Use too much electricity. Put radiation in the food. Increase the food bill because stuff you nuke is more expensive. Microwaves are for lazy people. Blah Blah. Nonsensical resistance for sure but not unlike every technology breakthrough. Some people will do about anything to avoid change no matter how big the benefits are.

If electric vehicles become the norm, gas vehicle will become much more expensive as mentioned above and gas will also become much more expensive. My example is a product called kerosene used in a lot of heating applications years ago and you could buy this and it was much less than gasoline. As less people used the product it increased in cost and now if you can find it at all it will cost much more that gasoline. What ever we pick to replace gasoline will cause gas to raise in price and become scarcer to find.

The discussion reminds me of a conversation we had with my Dad when I was a kid. Microwave ovens had been out for a few years and we asked why we did not have one. He came up with a laundry list of excuses why they were a bad idea. Use too much electricity. Put radiation in the food. Increase the food bill because stuff you nuke is more expensive. Microwaves are for lazy people. Blah Blah. Nonsensical resistance for sure but not unlike every technology breakthrough. Some people will do about anything to avoid change no matter how big the benefits are.
So when your dad finally bought his microwave oven did he throw his conventional oven out? Did you? Microwave ovens didn't come close to pushing conventional ovens from the market. They are complimentary technologies.

I can see a similar thing happening with vehicles. There will be both gas powered/hybrids for the practical people and electric for the virtue signalers. A perfect compliment for society.

So when your dad finally bought his microwave oven did he throw his conventional oven out? Did you? Microwave ovens didn't come close to pushing conventional ovens from the market. They are complimentary technologies.

I can see a similar thing happening with vehicles. There will be both gas powered/hybrids for the practical people and electric for the virtue signalers. A perfect compliment for society.
Of course not and that won’t happen with gas powered cars anytime soon either. What is far more likely than your virtue signaling BS is that in a household of multiple cars, at least one will be a full EV. Given all their advantages, no reason not to.