Akron Public Schools

The rest of the non-conference slate has gone for APS:

Firestone: at Salem, John Marshall
Ellet: at Youngstown East, Padua
Buchtel: at Cleveland Heights, St. Francis DeSales
K-G: East Tech, at Carrollton
East: at Dover, at North Royalton
North: at Southeast, at Brush

Looks like things are gonna be a little rough over the next couple of weeks to be honest. Don't see Firestone, Buchtel, or Akron North winning either of their of their remaining non-con statements.

If Akron East can get both sides of the ball in tune, they can win either one or both of their non-con matchups. They played impressive against Mass. Perry in Week 2, only losing on a blocked XP. And the defense played good against Lake, just the offense struggled.

Can't see Firestone beating Salem, but they do have a shot at beating John Marshall.

Can see Ellet beating Youngstown East, but not Padua.

North isn't gonna win either of their non-con games. Southeast and Brush have too much talent. And they looked rough even against Cuyahoga Falls on Friday.

Kenmore-Garfield should beat East Tech. Carrollton is gonna be a tossup, though.

Judging by the way things have gone for APS on that front, the only team that I can see with at least a .500 overall record going into conference play is Kenmore-Garfield. East and Buchtel have the most talent, but their non-con slate is rough. Ellet and Firestone have mightily struggled, and North is, well, North.

There is a legitimate chance that none of the APS teams finish greater than .500. But as far as the winner of the league, I would have to say East, followed by Buchtel, then Kenmore-Garfield. If the Rams continue to ascend, there is no reason why they can't contend for a league title in a year or two.

So sad to see the proud football programs at Garfield, Kenmore, even East and Buchtel go downhill. Back in the 60's Garfield, East and Kenmore usually ruled the city series and faired well in out of conference. But eliminating middle school football and letting students attend any school in the city broke up the neighborhood ( Firestone park, Goodyear Heights, Kenmore)..remember the Turkey day games and the old Rubber bowl with 10,000 - 15, 000 in attendance some years!!

2-13 in OOC play with a Buchtel win over Mayfield and a K/G win over Springfield. That's brutal.

I really hoped for more when Vassilotti went over there.

Last edited:
Babe Flossie- “ Carrolton Who ??? “
In 1963 the Rams went 10-0-1, Outside of the City Series, they beat Massillon, and Cuyahoga Falls, and tied a very good Barberton team whose QB passed away, I believe in class. Then beat Kenmore 22-0 Thanksgiving Day. The following year they lost 7-6 to Barberton and tied Warren Harding 16-16 in non CS games. My how things have changed.

Last edited:
I remember in my youth the SVSM/Garfield game being an annual classic. Then Tim Flossie showed up at Central-Hower and that rivalry brought some great games. East had its day as did Kenmore and North. Now even the best teams are struggling out of conference. I sure as hell don't know the answer and I commend the coaches working hard to stem the tide, but I miss those old days.

I don’t know if there is a legitimate answer. Look at Canton, they‘re down to 1 school. No more Lincoln, no more Lehman, no more Timken. I know there’s GlenOak, but they’re also a consolidated school. Maybe that’s the answer. Cleveland, Youngstown, Toledo, all the same story. I also think the looseness of the transfer issue, is making it that much harder. Was it last year when the kids from East, ended up at Streetsboro ? Was there a Buchtel kid up there too ? It looks like the days of the neighborhood rivalry, are over, at least in the city. Over the last 10 years we’ve watched the college game, turn into a cash cow. With ESPN, regional sports networks and now these pay to view channels, we’re watching the high school game follow suit. Kids want to be on TV, and the parents don’t want to disappoint their little Johnny, so a transfer we will go. I call it ruining the game, while others call it progress, but it’s killing the city schools. While the cities get smaller as well as their budgets, and the suburbs continue to grow, with or without more consolidation I just don’t see a way for the city programs to compete with their suburban and parochial competitors.

Last edited:
I don’t know if there is a legitimate answer. Look at Canton, they‘re down to 1 school. No more Lincoln, no more Timken. I know there’s GlenOak, but they’re also a consolidated school. Maybe that’s the answer. Cleveland, Youngstown, Toledo, all the same story. I also think the looseness of the transfer issue, is making it that much harder. Was it last year when the kids from East, ended up at Streetsboro ? Was there a Buchtel kid up there too ? It looks like the days of the neighborhood rivalry, are over, at least in the city. Over the last 10 years we’ve watched the college game, turn into a cash cow. With ESPN, regional sports networks and now these pay to view channels, we’re watching the high school game follow suit. Kids want to be on TV, and the parents don’t want to disappoint their little Johnny, so a transfer we will go. I call it ruining the game, while others call it progress, but it’s killing the city schools. While the cities get smaller as well as their budgets, and the suburbs continue to grow, with or without more consolidation I just don’t see a way for the city programs to compete with their suburban and parochial competitors.
And true. You forgot Canton Lehman...

I think there are still kids that could be players in the city, they're just not playing football. Kids just have too many other things competing for their interests, some legitimate, some not. The effort needs to be made to get them involved in the youth programs early on and hold their interest through high school. Akron has become a scary place (37 murders this year to date) and I'd prefer the kids be on a practice field than out on the streets.

I think the athletic budget in Akron, is probably less than what Hudson spent on their stadium upgrade, a couple of years ago. The booster clubs in the suburbs raise much more than any city school booster club could ever dream of. So with the superb facilities, weight rooms, practice fields… I totally understand why the better city players are looking beyond. The $$$ makes it so city schools just can’t compete. I feel very fortunate that I was able to able to experience some great years of City Series football, the rivalries,
Friday night double headers at the Rubber Bowl, and even a couple of Thanksgiving mornings spent at the Bowl, watching the CS Title game. Hopefully all 3 Catholic school programs can continue to survive and play at the high level they’re currently at, but that’s an issue, for another discussion thread.

Thanks. I remembered it and put it in last night, but didn’t hit save on my edit. Senior Moment, which seem to come more often than not.
Only know because my grandfather was principal at McK and I had 1 aunt who went to Lincoln and 1 to Lehman or as she said they were referred to as " the cake eater school "!!

I don’t know if there is a legitimate answer. Look at Canton, they‘re down to 1 school. No more Lincoln, no more Lehman, no more Timken. I know there’s GlenOak, but they’re also a consolidated school. Maybe that’s the answer. Cleveland, Youngstown, Toledo, all the same story. I also think the looseness of the transfer issue, is making it that much harder. Was it last year when the kids from East, ended up at Streetsboro ? Was there a Buchtel kid up there too ? It looks like the days of the neighborhood rivalry, are over, at least in the city. Over the last 10 years we’ve watched the college game, turn into a cash cow. With ESPN, regional sports networks and now these pay to view channels, we’re watching the high school game follow suit. Kids want to be on TV, and the parents don’t want to disappoint their little Johnny, so a transfer we will go. I call it ruining the game, while others call it progress, but it’s killing the city schools. While the cities get smaller as well as their budgets, and the suburbs continue to grow, with or without more consolidation I just don’t see a way for the city programs to compete with their suburban and parochial competitors.
Sadly the neighborhood rivalry isn’t settled on the field anymore it’s settled with guns

Akron could use some consolidation

kenmore into Garfield was a good start

now find a way to get north east buchtel and Firestone together

Not a good idea. K-G joining made that school worse than they already were. Would likely happen again with others consolidating.

Good luck with that. They tried to consolidate East a while back and the board wouldn't stand up to the community pressure. Instead, they ended up with a new school building. They all now have new(er) buildings now with the exception of North and the system has moved to a model where each school has its own focus/academies, so it would be tougher than ever to consolidate.

Well really only East high got a remodel and a new wing added for the former Goodyear Junior high school...so now this " community learning center " is I believe either 7-12 or 6-12...community learning center....ugh thanks former mayor Don!! These are still schools no matter what he wanted to call them!!

Only know because my grandfather was principal at McK and I had 1 aunt who went to Lincoln and 1 to Lehman or as she said they were referred to as " the cake eater school "!!
That’s what my Dad, rest his soul, used to call Firestone High, in it’s early days.

That’s what my Dad, rest his soul, used to call Firestone High, in it’s early days.
I know I had some friends who were in the 1st couple classes, that's what we called them!! Believe it or not Buchtel was the original " cake eater " school in Akron!!