Abby STEINER - 21.80 COLLEGIATE RECORD (+1.3 wind) !!!

...to go with her 2nd place finish in the 60 meters in 7.10 seconds. Quite a day.
Javman83,
You seem to be very involved in track databases about which I have a question. I hope you are the best person to ask for help. What is a good (and hopefully low cost) database program to use to set up a track database? I have been keeping my high school's track results every year since the 70's and started with the Appleworks database in the 80's but stopped updating the database when it stopped being supported for newer Apple and Windows computers in the early 2000's. What database should I look for and can I convert and transfer all of the Appleworks database files to the new database program? Any help is appreciated. Thanks and I like all of the statistical track and field insights you post!

Javman83,
You seem to be very involved in track databases about which I have a question. I hope you are the best person to ask for help. What is a good (and hopefully low cost) database program to use to set up a track database? I have been keeping my high school's track results every year since the 70's and started with the Appleworks database in the 80's but stopped updating the database when it stopped being supported for newer Apple and Windows computers in the early 2000's. What database should I look for and can I convert and transfer all of the Appleworks database files to the new database program? Any help is appreciated. Thanks and I like all of the statistical track and field insights you post!
Thank you for your kind words.

With regard to databases, I'm old school. Excel spreadsheets. I do remember Appleworks, but I began my original spreadsheets on Microsoft Works. Anyone remember that software? Loading software off of 5-1/4" and then 3-1/2" floppies? The good old days.

I would like to put everything into a relational database at some point in time, but I have 2 companies that I run, and they both have 1 employee...me. So, you can guess that my schedule is full. I am thinking at somepoint in time that I might buy my own license of Hytek or another T&F meet management software. My State meet compilation could certainly be put into that database, and I'd like to see all the other reems of info go into something that could be used by others. At some point in time (I have a year in mind) I'll be retiring from my labors in T&F research. I'm not getting younger, and there are other things I want to do. However, while I do have the energy and my mind is still with me, I do have some goals to meet before I pass the baton to someone else. I also plan to leave copies of my research with a public library in the future so others can reference it for future projects.

Another resource you might consider is contacting Finishtiming. I respect their work, and whatever software they're using might be beneficial.

Hytek Team Manager is nice but I think is really made for club teams or teams for keeping track of marks and such. I think they have a demo you can try.

Hytek Team Manager is nice but I think is really made for club teams or teams for keeping track of marks and such. I think they have a demo you can try.
What might you recommend? All my data is primarly in Excel format. The goal is to enter meet data from the past 130 years into a commonly used track & field database software so companies like yours can integrate if so desired. It would make for a huge database of data that I think is very missing from almost anything I've seen. My big projects are a complete historical compilation of State meet results back to 1908, and the four (4) SW Ohio district meets. Along the way, I'm collecting data on a number of well-known, now defunct invitationals, relays, and national meets involving Ohio athletes. I also have a compilation of the three (3) pre-state meets from 1905-07 @ Newark that led to the 1st state meet in 1908.

Looking for relational database where look-up information on athletes, teams, meetings, and other miscellaneous would provide for as much as possible a user-friendly environment. Similar to what AthleticNet & MileSplit provide, but their data entry is more automated and doesn't correct for a number of common problems that creep in. I utilize them for data of the last 20 years, like T&F News does as well, but I've compiled and am still compiling a far deeper database tailored to Ohio HS athletes as I've shown in some of my all-times lists that I've published so far on Yappi.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Here's a sample of where my State meet results compilation stands of today for 1908-1920. Items in red or missing are still being researched.

Also, the 1955 Class A (big school) meet results. Compare to the results provided by OHSAA.

Attachments

• State Meet Results - 1908-1920 - asof 25 March 2022.pdf
    132.1 KB · Views: 19
  • State Meet Results - 1955 Class A.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 22
  • TF_1955.pdf
    173.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
On the OHSAA results from 1908-1911 only the champions and runner up teams are listed not the individual results or all the team scores. https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Track-Field/pastresults/boys/TF_1908-1911.pdf
No one can trump JAVMAN'S research, maybe it's due to all the White Castle Java he drinks
Thanks for the plug, Lancermania. All I've done is pure research and compilation...something that could've been done decades ago by the powers-that-be, but wasn't. Craig Whitmore set the example for decades, and my research builds off of his and others. I may never complete what I want to with the State meet project, but I have a lot more data than I've shown so far, and I want to leave that for the next individual to complete the process in case I'm not.

She ran a 10.92 (+0.5) today with a shaky start. And 22.38 (-5.6) into a fierce headwind.
Congrats to you, mathking. Her success must be very satisfying for you to see.

I read some crazy conversion stat that her 200 equated to something like a 21.6someting when taking the headwind into account. Her 100 was pretty amazing. I saw the video and she had problems getting out of the blocks. The same thing happened to her in the indoor 60 finals. That tells me she has a lot more in the tank.

I was hoping to see an Abby vs Anavia Battle showdown in the 200 but that didn’t come to fruition. Battle ran the 4x1 so hopefully she isn’t injured. Both of them, along with Gabby Thomas, Tamara Clark, Jenna Prandini, and perhaps Sha’Carri Richardson or even Allyson Felix have a better than average chance to be running in Eugene this summer. In all honesty I’ll be shocked if Abby is still running collegiately after this season.

Again, congratulations

Read it here first: Barring injury, Abby is THE favorite American 200m runner right now for 2022.

Congrats to you, mathking. Her success must be very satisfying for you to see.

I read some crazy conversion stat that her 200 equated to something like a 21.6someting when taking the headwind into account. Her 100 was pretty amazing. I saw the video and she had problems getting out of the blocks. The same thing happened to her in the indoor 60 finals. That tells me she has a lot more in the tank.

I was hoping to see an Abby vs Anavia Battle showdown in the 200 but that didn’t come to fruition. Battle ran the 4x1 so hopefully she isn’t injured. Both of them, along with Gabby Thomas, Tamara Clark, Jenna Prandini, and perhaps Sha’Carri Richardson or even Allyson Felix have a better than average chance to be running in Eugene this summer. In all honesty I’ll be shocked if Abby is still running collegiately after this season.

Again, congratulations
Thanks. It’s fun to watch her keep getting better. When we have chatted she seems really happy. Particularly today. Their whole team is really running well this year. Which is an indicator that training is going well. I too was hoping she and Battle would get to race in the 200.

Read it here first: Barring injury, Abby is THE favorite American 200m runner right now for 2022.
I would rather see her develop slowly. The world championships are this summer and while it will be nice for her to make the US world team, Steiner has bigger fish to fry beyond 2022. She looks to be a good bet to make the team but Gabby Thomas is still widely considered to be the best 200 runner in the US.

Abby’s development projection looks good but there is no reason to rush it.

Last edited:
I saw both performances along with her 4x1. She's also scheduled on the 4x4, I believe.

I do want to see her relax more on the straightaway and open her stride up. Hope she gets with someone like Bobby Kersee as a pro.

I saw both performances along with her 4x1. She's also scheduled on the 4x4, I believe.

I do want to see her relax more on the straightaway and open her stride up. Hope she gets with someone like Bobby Kersee as a pro.
Her ability to apply as much vertical force down thru the track as she does, along with keeping her hips projected forward are a result of being relaxed at the end of her races (despite what it looks like!) Kersee and that training group in LA would be a perfect landing spot for her.

22.02 and 10.90 for Steiner in NCAA DI Semis
I was watching the Diamond League event in Rome today and am eager to see Abby in the pros. 21.90 won, and I couldn't help put look ahead to Abby taking on all comers.