A Trip to Washington D.C.?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I've never been to Washington D.C. but considering it as part of a trip later this Summer. I've read a little about the city and have seen that there are a number of free attractions. So what are the best things to see that are free? What are some of the best things that are worth the price of admission? Any specific suggestions to make it a better trip?

I've never been to Washington D.C. but considering it as part of a trip later this Summer. I've read a little about the city and have seen that there are a number of free attractions. So what are the best things to see that are free? What are some of the best things that are worth the price of admission? Any specific suggestions to make it a better trip?

POV Rooftop for some food and/or drinks. It overlooks the White House and various other monuments. Book a reservation for the rooftop, it’s pricey but a really cool/unique view.

Wow I just sent a list restaurants to a friend who's dropping there kid off to college there :). As for free places to go, pretty much all parts of the Smithsonian Museum are free, that includes the National Zoo, the air and Space museum is cool (there are two of them) , there is one downtown DC and one out in Chantilly VA for the large exhibits like the space shuttle, and I hear the new African American History Museum is really well done, but I haven't been.
As for monuments the Lincoln Memorial, WWII Memorial, Korean Memorial and Vietnam Wall are all within walking distances from each other and well worth a visit. Just a short ride across the river gets you to FT Myer and Arlington National Cemetery where you can visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Let me know if you want any food suggestions, because that is where my real expertise lie.

For an overall experience, I recommend the trolley with the guide announcer. Not sure what it costs today, but you can get off at any stop and look around some, then get back on the next trolley coming around, at the next site get off again, etc.

Last edited:
I go quite a bit to DC to visit friends and to check it out, it is a great capitol city. A couple tips:

1. DC was built on swamp land and is the major leagues when it comes to humidity in the summer, dress accordingly.
  2. I found it best to hit the mall for a couple days and see all the key monuments. If in shape park in a central location and walk it. My family was/is in shape and we talked a lot about history while doing this and many of my older kids remembered this time together.
  3. DC is also one of the worst cities when it comes to traffic, if you can afford it stay near the mall and leave the car in a parking lot for the day.
  4. As mentioned above the Smithsonian has a series of great free museums, they do get very crowded in the summer so do some home work and pick out what you want to see. I like to do walking/monuments in the morning and then in the hot afternoon do an AC cooled museum. Here is a link to what you can see and how to get free timed entry passes: https://www.si.edu/museums
  5. The national zoo is great but a 15 minute drive from the Mall. Beware the Pandas are a huge deal and require another timed pass, also that area is insanely packed during the summer but chicks really dig these cute creatures.
  6. The Holocaust Museum is free but very intense, you have to be in the right frame of mind if doing it.
  7. Arlington is a great side trip, the cemetery is very cool and there is plenty to do for at least half day. Great place to have a nice quiet pick nick lunch too.
  8. I have never been but heard the Spy Museum is a fun change of pace and, especially for kids 10 and up. You do have to pay though.
  9. Night life wise we always hit a nice restaurant or bar and taxi/Uber to the hipster neighborhoods, there are plenty of tourist places and I avoid them like the plague.

hubman and Auggie nailed it.

I travel to DC about once every other month for work. The town has exploded over the last 10 years or so. Great eats. I fly in and Uber everywhere. Do not get a car. The Smithsonian, Zoo, Air and Space Museum are three musts and FREE. Most museums are free. So much history. Visit the Capitol, and the WH. You will see protestors. You will see bums sleeping on stoops. You will see human feces on those stoops. ;)

You can spend weeks there and never spend a cent on attractions. One decent and interesting tour often overlooked the Bureau of Engraving where they make the paper money. Another not yet mentioned is Ford's Theater, where Lincoln was killed. The Korean War Memorial is often missed but is outstanding. The Metro Subway is very clean and safe too so don't hesitate to use it.

Must see: the monuments (Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, WWII etc...), Smithsonian, Arlington National Cemetery etc... Obviously seeing the Capitol and the WH, if you can get close enough. Unfortunately when I was there last year the Marxists mobs had a lot of downtown boarded up -- sad, sad state of affairs. And with the pandemic last year, there was almost zero traffic, which was pretty nice .....not sure of the driving situation now. Also, for cool restaurants, go to Georgetown and Olde Towne Alexandria, both just outside of town. It is a pretty area and definitely a must-visit, at least once, although you could spend weeks there and not see it all.

Boy just went on their school trip. Guess some schools go after the school year? We always went during th eschool year in the fall, but anyways.

Said it would have been much more fun if it wasnt for all the protesters all over the place. Mentioned how he just wanted to see the place and not have to listen to everyone protesting all over the place.

It's way easy to get museumed out.

Pick one or two with the idea that someday you'll be back. You're a computer guy? Don't dismiss the FBI experience, spy museum or the National Cryptologic Museum. Lots of movies filmed around DC, it can be fun just trying to spot some. Visits to Langley and Ft Meade, will seem familiar.

Arlington is a must.

Of course you want to get a half-smoke, hit a crab feast, try to get out on the Bay. Kids? I seem to recall a pirate experience in Annapolis.

The Natural History Museum has always been my favorite. One that was surprisingly enjoyable was the the National Portrait Gallery.
Good call. My son lived a block from there and it was always a nice place to wander through when I had a little extra time.

The Star Spangled Banner at the Smithsonian American History Museum is a must for me and am sure Hub will agree with me that a stop at Ben's Chili Bowl is a great authentic DC experience. Get a half smoked. You will not regret it.

We spent a number of years going to D.C. for couple of days before heading over to the beach for a week at Ocean City, Md. with the kids. As mentioned here, the Smithsonian, Natural History and Air Museums were favorites and free. Lots to do, much of it free, but a must trip for the kids educations. They loved it.

Must see: the monuments (Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, WWII etc...), Smithsonian, Arlington National Cemetery etc... Obviously seeing the Capitol and the WH, if you can get close enough. Unfortunately when I was there last year the Marxists mobs had a lot of downtown boarded up -- sad, sad state of affairs. And with the pandemic last year, there was almost zero traffic, which was pretty nice .....not sure of the driving situation now. Also, for cool restaurants, go to Georgetown and Olde Towne Alexandria, both just outside of town. It is a pretty area and definitely a must-visit, at least once, although you could spend weeks there and not see it all.
The Westin is convenient and the Holiday Inn on nearby Eisenhower will do fine. Theisman's is good and reasonable. Great lunch subs at Cafe Gallery.

Cafe Gallery and Market in Carlyle Towers:

Last edited:
Also, for cool restaurants, go to Georgetown and Olde Towne Alexandria

Close to Foggy Bottom metro stop. Watergate and The Excorsist. Several little theaters in the area too if I recall. Though as others have mentioned, the place is changing fast. I wonder if any old DC neighborhoods even exists anymore. Navy Yard has some smaller museums. Yappi hasn't said what interests but there's most likely a museum for it in DC. Honestly, we hung out more in the bars in Fells Point when you could still hear brogue and sing your hate of the English but I guess that's all gentrified now too.

BTW, also flew into D.C. on business over the years. Enjoyed Georgetown and Olde Towne Alexandria. Lots of good restaurants. Expensive ,but on an expense account, who cares ? Is Le Canard in Georgetown still open ? The French restaurants were great. I’d avoid typical tourist spots and look for small boutique restaurants. Always found the hotel bars better than the clubs. July and August are miserable times to be there. Hot and humid, overflowing with people, traffic jams.

If you want to see any of the Smithsonian museums, you need a time entry ticket. Check the website for each one. Not all of them are open yet and the ones that are have limited tickets and hours. I second staying at the Holiday Inn on Eisenhower Ave. There is a Metro stop(the D.C. subway) right across the parking lot. You can buy a ticket for unlimited rides each day. Well worth it. Most of the major attractions are with a couple of blocks of a Metro stop. Make sure you visit the Lincoln Memorial right before sunset. The Washington Monument and Capitol Building seem to glow as the sun is setting. Just set on the steps and take it all in.

If you want to see any of the Smithsonian museums, you need a time entry ticket. Check the website for each one. Not all of them are open yet and the ones that are have limited tickets and hours. I second staying at the Holiday Inn on Eisenhower Ave. There is a Metro stop(the D.C. subway) right across the parking lot. You can buy a ticket for unlimited rides each day. Well worth it. Most of the major attractions are with a couple of blocks of a Metro stop. Make sure you visit the Lincoln Memorial right before sunset. The Washington Monument and Capitol Building seem to glow as the sun is setting. Just set on the steps and take it all in.
HI: Sign up for the member program for automatic room upgrades. And then, you can honestly say. 'but I stayed at a Holiday Inn'!

It's been a long time so I don't really know if this this is still the case, but it used to be a good idea to call your Congressman's office and ask about tickets for the White House tour and the Capitol.

I would recommend all of the memorials and museums. The FBI and Bureau of Engraving and Printing had interesting tours. The Air and Space Museum on The Mall is closed until the end of July, but I enjoyed it the times I was there. The Steven Udvar-Hazy Center out near Dulles International Airport is amazing.

Go down to Mt. Vernon and learn about George Washington.

The Steven Udvar-Hazy Center out near Dulles International Airport is amazing.

I didn't know about that place. Googled. I would definitely go there. Though that shuttle should have been in Dayton, grrrrrr. I'll double down your recommendation for FBI and repeat mine for the other "spy" tours. Makes watching movies a whole new experience when you've seen even what little bit they'll show you.

There are some decent hotel deals there on the weekends as the bulk of visitors are there during the week to do government business. I used to kill it on Hotwire and Priceline getting deals.

You can spend weeks there and never spend a cent on attractions. One decent and interesting tour often overlooked the Bureau of Engraving where they make the paper money. Another not yet mentioned is Ford's Theater, where Lincoln was killed. The Korean War Memorial is often missed but is outstanding. The Metro Subway is very clean and safe too so don't hesitate to use it.

Yes. Ford's Theater, the Korean War Memorial, (and the Lincoln Memorial) are all "must see".

Try this one in Chantilly VA, we had the place to ourselves for a private work dinner, very cool.

I didn't know about that place. Googled. I would definitely go there. Though that shuttle should have been in Dayton, grrrrrr. I'll double down your recommendation for FBI and repeat mine for the other "spy" tours. Makes watching movies a whole new experience when you've seen even what little bit they'll show you.
Whoops, missed that you posted this....well worth the trip.

Although nothing tops Wright Pat's museum for me.

It was actually chs1971 in the post above mine. I'd never heard of it but would really want to go. And can you believe, I've never been to the one in Dayton! I have to fix that. Drove by on a couple state vacation tours and just couldn't fit it in the time frame.

I concur. I was disappointed at the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum. Give me Wright-Patt's Air Force Museum any day. It's top notch.

That's my tip for Yappi: If you've been to Wright-Patt's Air Force Museum, then you might want to skip the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum and spend your time somewhere else. Lots to see in DC with little time.