A Time To Die: The OCC (Ohio Capital Conference)

Does the OCC Need To Die?

• Yes

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 46.3%

• Total voters

CMH FB

- 90% of schools most important rivalries are not even conference games

- 75% of players and coaches don’t even know the names of their divisions

- Moving up to 33 teams with the unnecessary addition of Logan and Teays Valley (Why so many, it’s basically Public Central Region)

- Transportation Nightmare when logistically other conferences are nearby to join

- To the point where winning your conference is meaningless for most.

How long can this bad conference continue? What’s the worth other than scheduled games of even being in the conference? Anyone?

- 90% of schools most important rivalries are not even conference games

- 75% of players and coaches don’t even know the names of their divisions

- Moving up to 33 teams with the unnecessary addition of Logan and Teays Valley (Why so many, it’s basically Public Central Region)

- Transportation Nightmare when logistically other conferences are nearby to join

- To the point where winning your conference is meaningless for most.

How long can this bad conference continue? What’s the worth other than scheduled games of even being in the conference? Anyone?
I have no clue where you get your stats but I couldn’t agree more. This league is terrible. Rivalries begin only to be smashed by constant realignment. These schools would be better off reaching out to each other and creating legitimate conferences based on geography and reality vs the current set up where they scramble every few years based on the current enrollment figures. NO tradition and no emotion. 2023 OCC Buckeye division champs? Who cares….Buckeye division was different a few years back and will be unrecognizable a few years from now.

Terrible division for all the points stated above. Love the LCL. Has rivalries and shorts trips. Would like to teams in same district (Westervilles for example) all in same division.
The only people, I’d say 99% in each community who even know the name of their division and care about winning it are the ADs.

Not rumors, many schools unhappy with current alignment, not happy with latest additions, and Franklin Heights leaving as they please is causing concern.

I can’t think of a conference with less tradition or fan interest in the state, and it’s not just football.

I’d seriously like anyone to answer other than scheduling, what is this league even for?

The NOC in the Cleveland area was like that. It had 18 teams and 3 divisions across 4 counties. Most of the current GCC and Suburban League National teams used to be in the NOC

The only people, I’d say 99% in each community who even know the name of their division and care about winning it are the ADs.

Not rumors, many schools unhappy with current alignment, not happy with latest additions, and Franklin Heights leaving as they please is causing concern.

I can’t think of a conference with less tradition or fan interest in the state, and it’s not just football.

I’d seriously like anyone to answer other than scheduling, what is this league even for?

It starts with a sense of community, support for one another and bonding with each others families and even communities/ towns...
I'm guessing those are not real good tribal traits for the area either?

Franklin Heights leaving is great for them. Westland and maybe Central Crossing should consider the same. Lancaster, Logan, Teays, and ANY Delaware County school would be better forming leagues elsewhere. Why not let the premier D1s form their own small leagues : Pick N, Pick C, and Gahanna with Westervilles. Dublin, Hilliard, and Olentangys and UA? Geography, talent, and consistency instead of random reshuffling.

Sounds like the WPIAL in WPA. That change it every 2 years based off enrollment. Kills tons of rivalries when one school is barley bigger but in a higher classification. If that is how the OCC operates, then I understand why you don't like it.

Marysville
Delaware
Big Walnut
Marion Harding
Mount Vernon
Newark

Sounds like a great start to a league to me. Not sure where 2 more come from. Maybe someone like Buckeye Valley or Jonathan Alder decide they could compete?

Being familiar with the WPIAL, it still has a lot of meaning to win it, especially because it is directly related to qualification to the PIAAS state tournament.

The OCC is meaningless to well, anything, other than saying you won your conference, and this isn’t a joke, virtually no one knows the name of it. It’s such an after thought.

Winning the Columbus City League means 10x more, the teams know their opponents, have rivalries with them, etc.

Marysville
Delaware
Big Walnut
Marion Harding
Mount Vernon
Newark

Sounds like a great start to a league to me. Not sure where 2 more come from. Maybe someone like Buckeye Valley or Jonathan Alder decide they could compete?
Big Walnut and Buckeye Valley are blowing up, so it’s possible. Newark will head south soon.

Olentangy Five will do their own thing by the end of the decade. It makes too much sense financially and for the greater good of tradition.

Big Walnut and Buckeye Valley are blowing up, so it’s possible. Newark will head south soon.

Olentangy Five will do their own thing by the end of the decade. It makes too much sense financially and for the greater good of tradition.
Financially what are you talking about? The Olentangy District.???
Tradition what are you talking about.? When your building new High Schools every 5 years
It’s tough to build tradition.

Financially what are you talking about? The Olentangy District.???
Tradition what are you talking about.? When your building new High Schools every 5 years
It’s tough to build tradition.

I have got to really ask, do you have a brain?

This is why so many growing states follow a model of their state organization creating conferences ala Texas…to save those districts money with transportation by geographically tying their schools in their districts together for home and away games…it’s a lot of money.

So for example, Olentangy will have 8 guaranteed games in home and away for most sports in a 5-7 mile radius (if not less).

Biggest crowds, rivalries in Olentangy schools, most meaningful games are strictly against one another. I’m sorry, but how dim are you to not put this together? It’s much better for the entire community and district.

Again, please stop embarrassing yourself with your takes to try to make us look foolish when we have reasonable facts, when in some bizarre fashion, you’re obsessed with us and our account. It’s just getting weird. Have a good weekend.

Last edited:
I have got to really ask, do you have a brain?

This is why so many growing states follow a model of their state organization creating conferences ala Texas…to save those districts money with transportation by geographically tying their schools in their districts together for home and away games…it’s a lot of money.

So for example, Olentangy will have 8 guaranteed games in home and away for most sports in a 5-7 mile radius (if not less).

Biggest crowds, rivalries in Olentangy schools, most meaningful games are strictly against one another. I’m sorry, but how dim are you to not put this together? It’s much better for the entire community and district.

Again, please stop embarrassing yourself with your takes to try to make us look foolish with facts, when in some bizarre fashion, you’re obsessed with us and our account. It’s just getting weird. Have a good weekend.
WoW. You better put the Kool Aid back in the Fridge. You have completely exposed
everything that is wrong with the Public School System and the Narcissism which is
Over flowing. Call the White Coats.

2020 Dispatch Article on the topic

From this article seems like the conference's constitutions calls for realignment every four years for 'competitive reasons', but also seems like some moves were made to appease different districts, guess some get tired losing to the same schools every year. Looking at the map, adding Logan and Teays Valley, start to seem like geographical reaches. I do think they should cut it from 5 divisions to 4, since 4 out of the 5 only have 6 schools, when I was in school you played 7 in division games, now its only 5.

Not sure why Pickerington didn't want the two schools in the same division, maybe so the town gets more division titles :ROFLMAO:. They still schedule each other for out of division play, so it's not like they don't want them competing with each other. I liked the days back when the Ohio Division was Pick North & Central, Reynoldsburg, Lancaster, Gahanna, Grove City, Newark and Groveport, everything was close to home, except Newark.

OhioCapitalConference_(2).jpeg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the addition of Teays and Logan was to appease some Southeastern schools into not leaving and making their own conference? Feel like this was a hot topic right after Covid.

Being familiar with the WPIAL, it still has a lot of meaning to win it, especially because it is directly related to qualification to the PIAAS state tournament.

The OCC is meaningless to well, anything, other than saying you won your conference, and this isn’t a joke, virtually no one knows the name of it. It’s such an after thought.

Winning the Columbus City League means 10x more, the teams know their opponents, have rivalries with them, etc.
It's a huge deal to win the WPIAL. Some would say more important than states. But the individual conferences within the WPIAL only matter due to playoff seeding at the expense of killed rivalries.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the addition of Teays and Logan was to appease some Southeastern schools into not leaving and making their own conference? Feel like this was a hot topic right after Covid.
No axe to grind here, just curious - which schools?

Last edited:
The one I’m seeing here that makes the most sense is the Delaware County League (DCL or DCAL) you’ve got 8 teams in the county. Gives you 7 conference games and your 3 OOC.

I think there’s a way to split up Franklin county into a solid number of teams and add Marysville to a northwestern Franklin county league. Newark should dropout and join the LCL. The pickeringtons and Lancaster can join southeastern Franklin county

I'll still never understand the Logan addition. They will be what, slightly better than Franklin Heights? They can't handle the competition they are playing in football now (and it's not great by any means)- what happens when Pick Central comes to town?

The OCC will have to go to a geographic alignment sooner rather than later. It makes no sense to waste money in travel for school districts.

The one I’m seeing here that makes the most sense is the Delaware County League (DCL or DCAL) you’ve got 8 teams in the county. Gives you 7 conference games and your 3 OOC.

I think there’s a way to split up Franklin county into a solid number of teams and add Marysville to a northwestern Franklin county league. Newark should dropout and join the LCL. The pickeringtons and Lancaster can join southeastern Franklin county
Don’t see Delaware or Big Walnut signing up to join with Olentangys, but it would be best. What is more likely with the growth northward is a conference with Delaware, Big Walnut, Buckeye Valley, Johnstown (I don’t see why they would leave the LCL, it’s great league).

Kind of why I see Olentangy doing their own thing after HS#5 is built.

LCL is going to be a hot bed for population growth in the next 10 years, will be interesting to see how that plays out. Don’t think they would accept them but New Albany should leave at the opportunity if it happens.

Don’t quote me on this but swear it was Newark, Lancaster, Canal and rumblings of the Pickerington schools. It was a thing and I feel there was definitely a thread on it.

There is going to be a massive population growth in the Johnstown area…now, I think it will take time to catch up the high school age group. A huge portion of that growth will be young people, especially single young people. There’s going to be a TON of upscale, high rent apartments.

There have past rumblings that the Olentangy schools, Dublin Schools, New Albany, and potentially the Westervilles would pull out and form their own league. The league is too large to effectively manage any longer.

like the league but to survive they need to realign geographically and competitively, and keeping most inter-district schools in the same division. something like this:

Big School West:
Jerome
Coffman
Marysville
Bradley
Davidson
Darby

Big School Central:
Thomas Worthington
Upper Arlington
Olentangy
Liberty
Berlin
Orange

Big School East:
Westerville Central
New Albany
Gahanna Lincoln
Reynoldsburg
Pick Central
Pick North

Small School North:
Scioto
Kilbourne
Delaware Hayes
Big Walnut
Westerville North
Westerville South
Newark

Small School South:
Logan
Teays Valley
Lancaster
Canal Winchester
Groveport
Grove City
Central Cross

like the league but to survive they need to realign geographically and competitively, and keeping most inter-district schools in the same division. something like this:

Big School West:
Jerome
Coffman
Marysville
Bradley
Davidson
Darby

Big School Central:
Thomas Worthington
Upper Arlington
Olentangy
Liberty
Berlin
Orange

Big School East:
Westerville Central
New Albany
Gahanna Lincoln
Reynoldsburg
Pick Central
Pick North

Small School North:
Scioto
Kilbourne
Delaware Hayes
Big Walnut
Westerville North
Westerville South
Newark

Small School South:
Logan
Teays Valley
Lancaster
Canal Winchester
Groveport
Grove City
Central Cross
Looks good….but did you give Westland the boot? They should join FH in the CB-whatever.